Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Palpitations and pregnacy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Palpitations and pregnacy

Posted by cfvetere on July 30, 1999 at 11:05:20
I am currently 39 weeks and 3 days pregnant...only 4 days away from my due date.  For the last month, I have been feeling heart palpitations and they have really been scaring me.  They last only for a second.  I feel only one strong beat.  After being really worried about it, I went to the ER of my hospital and an EKG was done.  Blood work was also done.  They sent me home because everything was normal.  No signs of abnormality.  After seeing my OB doctor, she said that some women experience palpitations due to the increase working of the heart.  What I worry about is that it is going to affect my baby, and my labor and delivery.  I experience no pain what so ever, and it happends mainly after I have eaten a big meal, or when I stress about it...I plan on going back after my baby is born to be evaluated.  I am 26 years old, this is my second pregnancy.  I guess I was wondering if this was really common during pregnacy.
Thank You!

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 30, 1999 at 16:10:27
There is some increased workload on the heart and this may cause an increase in palpitations as well as the hormonal changes during pregnancy.  Not to worry though, no harm to mother or child.  Congratulations on your new baby and best wishes for the delivery.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
Posted by Gaye on August 01, 1999 at 03:58:08
cfvetre
I too had skipped heart beat and palipatation with my second pregnancy.  Don't panic!!!!!  I was assured that these were quite normal by both a cardiologist and several OB/GYN's. Dont' be alarmed if these palpitations follow you through breast feeding and throughout the year....Best wishes for a healthy baby and some sleep!!!!

Gaye

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on August 02, 1999 at 12:57:03
Thanks Gayle for sharing your experience.  These symptoms are very common during pregnancy and give no cause for alarm.
Posted by cfvetere on August 05, 1999 at 11:22:40
So I will be okay during labor...that was my main concern.  Since reading the responses from others, it has helped me to not stress so much, then I don't notice them.  But at times, I still get nervouse and feel a juming in chest and in my throat.  But to feel them up in my throat too, is that normal?  Sorry about asking again.  

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on August 06, 1999 at 13:34:01
No baby yet!?!  Yes, feeling the palpitations in your throat is very common.  I predict a safe and uneventful labor and delivery.  Best wishes.
Posted by cfvetere on August 06, 1999 at 17:57:47
Nope!  No baby yet!  Due Aug 4, and today is August 7th!  Hopefully soon!  Thanks so much for all your help!

Posted by mrs sherrie dobbs on August 08, 1999 at 06:07:49
i am a mvp sufferer, and am expecting my 3rd baby.  Had completely normal pregnancies and births with the other 2 but at 21 weeks developed strange sysmptoms.  After eating especially i get ectopic beats which my doctor has said are ventricular beats.  Are these PVC'S.  If i keep active they do not happen, if i sit or lay down they occur about every 10-20 seconds then maybe go a minute then i'll have another set.  I feel extremely tired all the time.  If i am empty (food wise) they rarely occur.  I acn only sit for about 10 minutes then they kick off again.  Why has this started?  Is it just a pregnancy thing?  Will it go away after the pregnancy finishes?  I have always had ectopic and missed beats due to my mvp but never like this?  

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on August 09, 1999 at 12:24:38
There probably is a hormonal link to PVC's but why it would only occur with the 3rd child I couldn't say.  (perhaps a portence of things to come?)