Heart Disease Community
Heart Problems? Still worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Heart Problems? Still worried

I want to know if i can definitely be reassured now because i'm still terribly anxious
Im 16 and had on and off sharp chest pains on the left side which started a few days ago
Because i rang NHS direct the paramedics came , did an ECG which they thought could of possibly been slightly abnormal so took me to hospital where i did a blood test which came back normal , The doctors at the hospital said they could see what the paramedics meant about the ECG but said it was just because i'm 16 and skinny , and sent me home.
Past few days ive still been terribly worried about having heart disease or having a heart attack , I went to see my GP today to express my worries because i read everywhere that ECG's and bloodwork isn't enough to rule out a problem.
As i was jogging to the doctors i had a bad pain in my chest again but this time mostly on the right , i also had some pain by my shoulder blade , it was kinda like a tightness but went away as soon as i stopped.
I told my GP about this pain as well as how i think i still might have a heart disease after ive had ECG's and blood tests.
My GP said it's not cardiac related and there might be a problem with my chest wall thats all ,
he said ECG's and bloodwork are efficient enough to rule out heart problems and gave me a book on health anxiety.
Shall i really stop worrying about this now? I feel ridiculous being a 16 year old worried about dying of a heart problem.
The fact that you keep worrying about your heart shows you suffer from anxiety. Seriously, Doctors have ruled out your heart and anxiety can give symptoms very similar. I would look at some books on relaxation and perhaps meditation, but above all, try to put things into perspective. People tend to worry more when they fail to put things into perspective and look at the complete picture, they see a small part of it (the possibility of a heart defect) and worry themselves to death over it. If you carry on like this through life, you WILL end up with problems such as heart disease because stress is a major cause. I can't understand why you don't want to believe medical professionals? who have also looked at your blood which would reveal serious heart issues. You are not going to die of a heart problem now, but you could in the future if you don't learn to control your anxiety.
I've had more than one heart attack and perhaps it might help you if I explain how it feels. First off you feel a sudden gripping pain in the middle of the chest, which sometimes radiates out to the back or arms. It feels like a knife is in your chest, twisting. You start to sweat and feel nauseous and tingling all over your body. The pain just won't stop, it goes on and on, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It isn't until you get to the hospital and have some form of treatment that the pain goes away. Even morphine didn't help my pain. As long as the blood vessel is blocked, that pain will stay. If you wait too long for treatment, or don't go to the hospital, your heart muscle in the area of the blockage will die, forever. Then the pain could stop and you think everything is fine. However, even if this happened, your blood would show signs of a heart attack for up to 2 weeks, and the ECG would show you've had one.
Just to add. The heart attacks I've had gave pains so great that I was rolling around on the floor in absolute agony. It wasn't a dull ache like muscle pain, nothing like it at all.
thanks but the main reason i'm still worried is because i have heard blood tests can't pick up certain things like heart disease?
i feel like i need to go for further tests but my doctor doesn't
If you have heart disease at 16, I think you will be the first.