Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Rate After Mitral Repair
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Heart Rate After Mitral Repair

Posted By Shannon on July 06, 1999 at 11:49:31
Hi -- thanks for this forum.  You've answered several questions for me, and I really appreciate it.
Question of the day:  I had mitral valve/PFO repair surgery in mid-March, have been off all of my meds (atenolol 25 mg & digoxin .25 mg) since just prior to an EP study in mid-June.  My heart rate has been right around 100 for the last several weeks, with occasional tachycardias in the 140-160 range.  In the EP study, the team was unable to reproduce any of the fast rhythms. They concluded I had no accessory pathways. (The EPS was done because I had a tachycardia  of about 200 at my doctor's office and though the EKG wasn't hooked up fast enough, they did catch the high heart rate.)
Is it okay to stay at this rate for a long period of time?  I worry about unnecessary work for my heart, and it also makes me tired (I feel like I'm jogging through life).  My resting heart rate prior to surgery was about 70, so it's not a huge increase.  Is it likely that my rate will gradually creep down as I continue to heal?  I guess I thought that I'd be pretty stable by 16 weeks post op.
Thanks again.
Shannon

Follow Ups:

Re: Heart Rate After Mitral Repair CCF CARDIO MD JMF 7/09/1999
(0)

Re: Heart Rate After Mitral Repair Nathan Jones 7/06/1999
(3)

Heart Rate After Mitral Repair CCF CARDIO MD JMF 7/09/1999
(0)

Heart Rate After Mitral Repair Shannon 7/07/1999
(1)

Re: Heart Rate After Mitral Repair CCF CARDIO MD JMF 7/09/1999