Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Rate and BP Meds

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Rate and BP Meds

I take an ARB (Hyzaar) to control blood pressure. It's been about 4 months and I've noticed a reduction in heart rate when I exercise. I achieve target heart rate after about 15-20 minutes and then I continue to exercise at that level for another 30-40 minutes. Usually by the end of time I expect my heart rate to be higher (and it feels like it should be), but it is not. In the past my heart rate would accelerate up to 20 points higher. I can't tell if this is a good thing or bad thing. I had a stress echo a year ago it was ruled "normal". Can this be the medication? Am I getting in better shape or worse shape?

Thanks in advance!
Mel22,

Thanks for the post.

Concentrate less on your heart rate and more on the activity you perform.  If you are able to go farther in the same amount of time, then you are "getting in better shape".  I think you should congratulate yourself for being able to exercise for an hour!  I would guess that is in the upper 95% of our readership.

Be careful attributing this finding to the ARB/diuretic combination.  I have never heard of such a response, and a biologically plausible explanation is not apparent.

The simplest explanation is that you are better conditioned than you were previously.  

Hope that helps.