Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Rate of 80

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Rate of 80
I am 47, 5'4", 118lbs. I quit smoking in '99. My bp is 117/72. I walk at least a mile almost everyday. I don't get winded, yet my resting heart rate is 80. Should I be concerned?
Concerned about what symptom: you state you don't feel winded. About your heart rate? It is normal. About your blood pressure? It is also normal.
Okay. It's probably no big deal anyway. Thanks
of course you shouldn't be concerned,    a resting pulse of 80 is totally normal
Thanks!
I wonder if you are concerned about your HR because so many joggers and distance runners brag about their unusually low heart rates.  When the people who talk about it are talking 50, 60, even lower, it's easy to fall into thinking yours is too high.  Since surgery, I have been  watching my vital signs gradually stabilize, and thinking HR wasn't keeping up, until I finally looked into norm data and figured out that my expectations were unrealistic for that reason.

A funny story about that--funny only because the guy survived.  The father of a kid in preschool with mine was a running addict--hard for me to imagine, but I gather some runners get totally hooked on the adrenaline and other chemicals their bodies produce while running.  His resting heart rate was about 26--I'd never heard of anyone's that low!

One night while lying in bed, he just passed out--unconscious--his wife called 911.  He was in incredible condition; during two weeks in ICU, they were unable to figure out what happened.  Finally, they got it--his HR and bp were so low that when he was lying down and his head tilted toward his shoulder, his carotid artery had too little pressure to keep it open, and it folded like an empty hose, cutting of blood to his brain.  

Being lazy myself, and "addicted to" NOT running, I'm afraid I kidded him rather cruelly for a while.  Not proud of it.

Aha! Another good reason not to take up jogging:>)
Hey, if you need reasons not to jog, come to me!  I've probably thought of almost all of them over the past many decades, even through the Great Jogging Craze.