Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Remodeling after MI ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heart Remodeling after MI ?

In Sept I had an MI, which my cardiologist recently told me was likely acute cardiomyopothy as he could not find a single significant location in my heart which appeared but instead found a number of small locations around the heart which appeared to have undergone damage.  He found these two months after these even using echocardiogram .   My event was stress induced due to a family event.  I did suffer right arm tingling/numbness and queeziness, but no significant chest pain, just chest tightness Troponins were elevated a few hours after event

Am on low dose coreg but taken off of lisinopril about two months ago due to cough.   I understand that an ACE inhibitor like lisinopril are useful to help in heart remodeling after the heart undergoes damage.   So I am a little concerned that I am not doing all that I can to assure proper healing of the heart.   I am on a plant based diet and exercising moderately every day.

How long does healing/remodeling take?   and should I ask my cardiologist why I am not on an ACE inhibitor?  
1687176_tn?1321401609
There certainly is good data that suggests ACE inhibitors helps in the remodeling of the heart following damage. However, most of these studies were in individuals who suffered a heart attack.  In your situation, stress cardiomyopathy is caused via a different mechanism than those who have a blocked coronary artery and decreasd blood flow.  ACE inhibitors are still suggested in these patents to help with afterload reduction and increasing forward flow from a weakened heart. However, the decision to continue such medications are unique to each individual as low blood pressure may be a contraindication to continuing such medication.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank