Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Remodeling after MI ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heart Remodeling after MI ?

In Sept I had an MI, which my cardiologist recently told me was likely acute cardiomyopothy as he could not find a single significant location in my heart which appeared but instead found a number of small locations around the heart which appeared to have undergone damage.  He found these two months after these even using echocardiogram .   My event was stress induced due to a family event.  I did suffer right arm tingling/numbness and queeziness, but no significant chest pain, just chest tightness Troponins were elevated a few hours after event

Am on low dose coreg but taken off of lisinopril about two months ago due to cough.   I understand that an ACE inhibitor like lisinopril are useful to help in heart remodeling after the heart undergoes damage.   So I am a little concerned that I am not doing all that I can to assure proper healing of the heart.   I am on a plant based diet and exercising moderately every day.

How long does healing/remodeling take?   and should I ask my cardiologist why I am not on an ACE inhibitor?  
1687176 tn?1321401609
There certainly is good data that suggests ACE inhibitors helps in the remodeling of the heart following damage. However, most of these studies were in individuals who suffered a heart attack.  In your situation, stress cardiomyopathy is caused via a different mechanism than those who have a blocked coronary artery and decreasd blood flow.  ACE inhibitors are still suggested in these patents to help with afterload reduction and increasing forward flow from a weakened heart. However, the decision to continue such medications are unique to each individual as low blood pressure may be a contraindication to continuing such medication.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now