Heart Disease Community
Heart Size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Heart Size

I am 30 years old and my Left Ventricle Diastole is 5.84 cm. The normal size is 3.7-5.6cm. I am an asian and used to live in the himalayas until I was 20 and then moved to US. Is my heart size a concern for me? It is dangaerous? What preventive measures can I take? Please advise.
LV diastole is a calculated estimate and  the size you list may be within the margin or error.  Also, the size may be normal for you.  Need more information to evaluate if there is a problem of concern.
So the slight Left Ventricle Diastole variation is alright? Not a concern? My LV diastole seems to be .24cm more than normal range. The doctor told me that i need to followup in 6 months. Could there have been an error in the echo? should I do another ultra sound ofn the heart to make sure it is normal. Please advise I am very worried. Thank you for your information.  
What are the other measurements - atrium, ejection fraction, wall thickness.  Any issues noted with the valves?  What is your blood pressure?  How tall are you and what do you weigh?  Are you an athlete?  What is your normal level of physical activity?  Do you have any symptoms - ie - arrhythmia, weakness, shortness of breath.  The 3.7-5.6 is either a 95% confidence interval or a multiple standard deviation range - essentially its the range of values you expect to see for the majority of people from any gvien random sample.  While the the reference ranges are a a general guide, any individual's values need to be viewed in the context of that patient's entire history and personal situation - there are people with left ventricular measurements outside the reference range that are totally healthy and people who's heart measurments fall within the ranges that are not healthy. It is possible that your measurement was taken incorrectly (the first time I was measured the tech noted 5.9 cm - but upon review it was shown to be 5.5 cm) - the only way to check is to redo the echo OR get the tape from the original and have it reviewed.   The fact that your Dr is re-evaluating your heart in 6 months leads me to assume that he didn't see other issues with your heart and is remeasuring to make sure your heart isn't growing (ie cardiomyopathy) - if the measurements are the same in 6 months and your condition shows no other changes then it seems likely he'll conclude that your LV is "normal" for you.  If you have a copy of your full report then post the additional info on here and someone on the board may be able to help.  Also, indicate any symptoms you have and your original reason fro seeing a cardiologist and having the echo.  Pls also remember to include your ht and wt.  Lastly, have you ever had any serious illnesses?  Repeated pneumonia etc?  Family history?  Any significant info you can offer allows people to be more helpful.  Best of luck.
Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate that. I will post the copy of the full report later today. Everyhting appeared normal expect for the LVD. My height is 5feet 7.5 inches and I weigh 160lbs. The Dr. did tell me I have a slight irregularity in my EKG showing slight AV block ( more interval).

The only reason I went to see the Dr. was because of the EKG. and also a slight discomfort in my left arm and chest area. Nothing major. No family history of anything. I was on sodiul valporate for like 3 and half years for depression. Could that have caused this? or its nothing to worry about?

Thanks,