Heart Disease Community
Heart Skipping a beat
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Heart Skipping a beat

Hi All, I am new here.(I am 31 years old, female)

Last year I have been diagnosed with SVT after I had to go to hospital due to palpitations that were lasting more than 1.5 hrs.(It wasn't the first time, I have had it since I was a kid but it would stop by itself normally)

Since then I have been put on verapamil 3 time a day.

I have had an attack of SVT once this year 6 months after last year's one. It lasted maybe 30 minutes and didn't go to hospital.

Lately, I have noticed that from time to time it is like my heart is skipping a beat.... like it takes more than usual to beat, and the beat that follows beats harder.

Can you please tell me if it's related to the SVT or it is something different?

Thanks for any help
Tags: Heart
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
The way you describe the pause and then the harder beat sounds like a PVC to me.  That is exactly how mine feel.  The reason the beat feels harder is that, due to the pause, the heart chambers have more time to fill. They contract harder to push the additional blood through.  

I have days where I don't have any PVCs and days they seem never ending.

I had a ekg and a holter 24hour monitor that showed hundreds of PVCs.  
My cardiologist said they were benign and to simply try to put them out of my mind.  That took me a year to do.  It is easier said than done that is for sure.  

Now that I have a grip on the fear and anxiety that these episodes caused I find them to be must less intense.  

I wish you the best of luck in coming to terms with these symptoms.  

Take care,
Alisa
Blank
Thanks for the reply. It means a lot.

I will mention it when I go on my appointment in a couple of weeks. Just hope it is nothing serious. As long as I know that, I can deal with the sensations no matter how uncomfortable it feels. I am an anxious person so I need constant reassurance... So I suppose knowing that nothing is wrong, I will be able to cope...

Thanks again

Blank
hI
I read your post and was just diagnosed and told the same thing. I am trying to live with the symptoms but they create so much anxiety for me.
I am so afraid i am just going to drop dead.  How did you do it?
Blank

I am having the "skipped beats" again. It's been 4 days now. Today I went to see my doctor at work but by the time I was in his office, I was feeling better. The skipped beats are not constant... He listened to heartbeat and it was normal. He again said not to worry...

I try not to worry, but certain days are harder than others. When I'm home, I cope better because I can lay down etc. But at work, it's hard, like sometimes I am in the middle of talking, or a reunion and it happens, it can be disturbing...

But I have realised there is nothing I can do. If that is gonna happen, it will... I just have to accept it and hope for the best...

I wish you the same. Be strong. Easier said than done... But you must think, you have no control on things like that, just take it as it comes, deal with it when it's happening, don't stop yourself on thoughts like what if?...

Hope you feel better, all the best...
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
Blank
skydnsr
212161_tn?1410016711
Blank
heartfluttersflyawayplz
hoschton, GA
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1755089_tn?1376057155
Blank
drewlevas uploaded new photos
11 hrs ago
Blank
daniarcade commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Sep 20
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
USDA Approves New GE Corn and Soy, ...
Sep 19 by gymdandee
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979