Heart Disease Community
Heart Skips beat and can't catch breath

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Heart Skips beat and can't catch breath

When I was younger, I used to have trouble breathing. Every other day or so, my heart would skip a couple of beats and I couldn't catch my breath. Then, it just happened once a month. Then it stopped. I just turned 16 years old a couple of months ago, and the problem came back. I don't know what to do. It scares me. Can you tell me what may be causing this. Thank you!
Avatar n tn
Do you have asthma? Did you have asthma problems when you were younger? If it is just run-of-the-mill skipped beats like PACs or PVCs, then it might be a touch of anxiety due to the unexpectedness of the skipped beat catching you off guard. However you won't know if it is just a PAC/PVC without it being caught on an EKG or monitor. The next time it happens try to remain calm and use reassuring self-talk like "Oh, just a skipped beat, that's nothing big". See if that will help to turn things aroung. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to have your folks take you in for a general check-up and telling the doctor. We can all use a good physical every year anyway and most of the time we just don't take the time to do that. Good Luck! :)
Avatar n tn
Thank you for responding to my question. I can understand how that can happen. I used to have asthma really bad when I was younger, but as I got older, it kind calmed down a lot. Thank you so much. By the way, my mom is scheduling a doctor's appointment for me. Thank you again.