Heart Disease Community
Heart Skips beat and can't catch breath

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Heart Skips beat and can't catch breath

When I was younger, I used to have trouble breathing. Every other day or so, my heart would skip a couple of beats and I couldn't catch my breath. Then, it just happened once a month. Then it stopped. I just turned 16 years old a couple of months ago, and the problem came back. I don't know what to do. It scares me. Can you tell me what may be causing this. Thank you!
Do you have asthma? Did you have asthma problems when you were younger? If it is just run-of-the-mill skipped beats like PACs or PVCs, then it might be a touch of anxiety due to the unexpectedness of the skipped beat catching you off guard. However you won't know if it is just a PAC/PVC without it being caught on an EKG or monitor. The next time it happens try to remain calm and use reassuring self-talk like "Oh, just a skipped beat, that's nothing big". See if that will help to turn things aroung. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to have your folks take you in for a general check-up and telling the doctor. We can all use a good physical every year anyway and most of the time we just don't take the time to do that. Good Luck! :)
Thank you for responding to my question. I can understand how that can happen. I used to have asthma really bad when I was younger, but as I got older, it kind calmed down a lot. Thank you so much. By the way, my mom is scheduling a doctor's appointment for me. Thank you again.