Heart Disease Community
Heart and oxygen problems

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Heart and oxygen problems

My mother is 71. 5 months ago she had a massive stroke which has left her paralysed on the left side. (This is her 3rd stroke) Due to medicine she was taking she developed bleeding ulcers and had to be given blood. She was also dehydrated.  Since leaving the hospital 3 weeks ago (she is now in a nursing facility) her oxygen levels continue to drop to 78. Her machine was on 5 1/2 this week and once they got her back to 92 they put it back to 3. even with the oxygen on it continues to drop. She has also been diagnoised with 100% blocked cartoid on the right and 75% blockage on the left and a 6m anuerysm at the base of her brain. She is not on blood thinners because of the bleeding ulcer. Once they get her stomach heeled they intend to put her back on them. Her confusion is getting much worse but yesterday she asked me to remove the oxygen and take her home. My mother has a living will and watching her deteriorate daily is killing me. They tell me she will not recover and what we are seeing is usually what they see towards end of life. Is oxygen a life saving factor or a comfort process. She thinks it is keeping her alive not comfortable. Any comments are appreciated. I know the realtiy of the situation but still have faith in my mothers strength and in my faith. Is this something we could see improve? That is probably a stupid question but I am grasping at straws.
I’m sorry to hear about your mother state. It’s true that her mental condition is very unlikely to improve since the two major suppliers of the blood to the brain are occluded (one totally occluded and the other 75%).
Regarding her bleeding ulcers, why don’t you suggest coated aspirin tablets and clopidogrel tablets to the doctors? It’s much easier to control the bleeding time with these drugs than with Warfarin, which also causes osteoporosis.
Since her oxygen level drops to 78, it’s crucial that she stays on oxygen, since the lack of oxygen will affect her brain before any other organ. It’s a life saving factor and not a comfort process.
However, causes should be looked for this low oxygen level. Is it because of her neurological condition? Or does she have some kind of pulmonary disease?
I wish to hear good news from you soon.

Avatar n tn
thank you for your response. I think my mother is forgetting to breath or maybe she is choosing not to breath. She has started coughing hard and often. I reported this to the nurses and they said they reported it to the doctor. Hospice has accepted her as of last Friday. I am heading to the nursing home now and will check in tomorrow. thanks again and I will ask the doctor about coated asprin.