Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart arrhythmia/Autism

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart arrhythmia/Autism

I am a mom on a mission. My son (4years old) was diagnosed with a heart PVC (heart arrhythmia) since birth (they do not know why he has it). I am doing my own research in any correlation between autism and heart arrhythmias. I was reading about calcium signalling causing heart arrhythmias, which can cause cognitive issues (Timothy Syndrome - which my son does not have all the characteristics of that), but I found it very interesting
quinsmum,

I do not know of any direct correlation other that Timothy syndrome, which you mentioned.  Alot of developmental/congenital disorders have multiorgan effects, so it may be related.

There is a genetics department at Johns Hopkins that specilizes in various inborn medical conditions. That may be a place to seek an opinion.

Sorry I cant be more of a help.

good luck
I had my first arrhythmia attack last October. I had been in bed about 15 minutes and the heartbeat started. This went on for an hour and a half and I finally decided I needed to get myself to the hospital. It stayed at 186 for the first half hour I was there. After an hour it finally became steady. Needless to say I was wiped out and slept for most of the day.

I had a small onset in December, but I took 3 calcium pills and walked around and it went away. Last night after getting all comfy in bed it started again. I tried several different positions and got nowhere. Went and took 3 calcium pills and sat up in bed (I was so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open). The beating never got as high as previously but I could feel it in my head and ears. This lasted about 1 hour; then I think I just past out from exhaustion. I also raised my hands over my head and sat up for a time. It did slow down and my head didn't feel like it was being thudded anymore.

Anyway, after the first episode I went to the doc, he did all of the tests and, of course, found nothing. I had a stroke 11 years ago, am on Toprol, and have been for 13 years. I was on Coumadin for 7 then I finally got to get off of them. My BP is very good and the only exercise I really have is yardwork. I had rather be there than anywhere. In short, I was doing nothing when these occurrences happened and was wondering if maybe I should run around (if it weren't so painful in the leg). Maybe I should just bolt out the door and proceed to run and see if that helps.

So there is, as usual, no answer for one more of my dilemmas. I was exhausted this morning, but made myself get up.

Thank you for any info you can give.

Also thank you for this fine service.
A related discussion, Correlation between VSD/ASD Repair and onset of Autism was started.