Heart Disease Community
Heart beating fast after nightmare.

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Heart beating fast after nightmare.

Hello there, I have had this happen twice to me in the past. First i will introduce myself. I'm a 19YO male with no previous medical conditions. I exercise regularly and would consider myself as being fit Although i have fainted a few times in the past and have experienced some chest pains but nothing too serious. I'm not at all overweight, just come in under 10st.
  Well, what happned was I woke up from a dream/nightmare and noticed my heart was beating irregularly and realy fast. After a few mintutes the beating calmed right down but then i felt dezziness and light headed as it wa beating slow. Then it went back up. I don't think i had any chest pains while this was happening and no shortness of breath. It just didn't "feel right" if you know what i mean. I went for a check up an they said everything was fine with me and if it happened again i should see my local GP.
  Just for the peace of mind i would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything this and if it could be anything serious and what wouldyou advise me to do.

Thank you for your time.
Something similar happened to me last night. I woke from a dream with a rapid heartrate and then as I noticed and became more aware of my heart, I felt anxious and my heart started beating even faster. After about 3 - 4 minutes it calmed down and I went back to sleep. I have had my heart thoroughly checked out because of other things and have asked about this and have been told not to worry, just stay calm and it will slow down on its own in a few minutes. It happens to me a few times a year. I have been told that whatever you are dreaming about, your heart is reacting to it. For example in my dream I was climbing a hill, so I guess my heart was reacting to the climb. Take care.
Hey there!

This has happened to me several times. Waking up from a nightmare almost ALWAYS gets a persons' heart rate going really fast. The fact that you got nervous and scared from it is what made you dizzy and made the heart go faster. That's what anxiety is. It's really harmless. Just calm yourself down and realize it's only a nightmare and you should be fine. Watch some tv or something to get your mind off it and then you can fall back to sleep.

I've had anxiety/heart racing for awhile. I learned to somewhat control it and by being to the doctors, and cardioligsts a bunch of times and getting everything back normal along with blood tests..I've realized that it's all me. The more you think about it and worry, the worse. Your mind does a great deal on making you physical feel things. If you really think about it, you'll feel it. Just ease your mind. If this happens again, get up, drink some water, relax your mind, watch some tv..and just keep at ease. :)

Hope this helps!
I have, and they called it a "noctournal panic attack".  They are HORRID.
have u ever seen a movie where some dude wakes up from a nightmare covered in sweat looking like he just ran a marathon.  When a person gets excited or scared (ie. nightmare) heart rate goes up accordingly.  If you feel no pain and doc said that u are fine then u probable have nothing to worry about.  Also, if you suffer from anxiety or a mild hypochondriac like myself you might experience chest pains and symptoms that would even mimic symptoms of a heart attack.  But if it's only anxiety, rest easy.

Hope you feel better.  Btw, happened to me few times too, wake up randomly in the middle of the night and notice that my heart is beating rapidly.
good morning, ihave this dezziness spell for four day's now. it's really bad, i don't have insurance so i can't seek help from my doctor. my job is standing-up for 6 hour's almost every day. i'm worried that if this dizziness does not go away soon i might lost my minimun paying job. by the way my job does not offer heath insurance. help, i need to get better.
wow..i'm glad that i'm not alone in this world who is experiencing these things...last night i really had a bad dream and i woke up with my heart pounding wildly.i started to panic and woke up my husband..we even went to the emergency room..but after about 5 mins it slowed down.. i told the nurse that i had a bad dream and woke up with a pounding heart, the nurse said its normal that my heart is beating fast due to bad dreams..he told me to just relax..i have this feeling now that i'm scared to go to sleep thinking that i might woke up again with my heart racing..
Racing heart after a nightmare is normal, but what the OP described is a bit more concerning.  A 19 y/o male should not have fainted multiple times or experienced chest pain many times.  That's unless, of course, it's clearly provoked, but he probably wouldn't mention that if it were.  Secondly, once the heart calms back down, it shouldn't go back up, though it's unclear whether it went back up to normal or to fast.  If he's having such symptoms in other environments, then I'd suggest a work up for a cardiac arrhythmia such as atrial fibrillation, as it could cause fainting, irregular/fast heart beat, and chest discomfort.
Use of the dangerous tobacco drug will cause ALL sorts of sleep disorders, as tobacco destroys the health of the addict and those who breathe his/her toxic tobacco smoke.

We must all work to ban the deadly tobacco drug and ban all smoking everywhere, indoors and out.
I experience nightmare occurring more often and I feel the whole day is disturbed. I don't feel hungry, feel restless heart pounding,Until I have a peaceful sleep on the following day this would be situation(tired) for me.
Fighting with bad dreams is really a big task for me everyday.However before going to bed if I could convince my mind to stay calm,peaceful and feel satisfied I could experience being more energetic on the following day with no nightmares.But to be frank succeeding this becomes a big task. Earlier I couldn't isolate the cause for this problem.Now have a hope that there is a way in overcoming it.
Few tips that worked for me:
If you get dreams on' snake chase 'start loving snakes make your mind that you really love snakes. watch videos how people catch snake bravely and even if bites convince yourself it is their nature,still love it.Its Gods creation.Likewise for any mammal start loving it.
I am just sharing my experience any suggestion reply to ***@****
Royalbird29 atthe rate of gmaildotcom