Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart by-pass and vertigo

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart by-pass and vertigo

Husband had by-pass and woke up with severe vertigo. In hospital they said it was just the meds and would go away. That was 7 years ago and he still has it.  The heart doctors say they don't know.  We tried everything, even went to the Emory Vestibular Clinic for a battery of tests.  They said the vestibular nerve was probably damaged during surgery and he would have to learn to live with it.  Nothing helps.  We are going to try an alternative medicine, Vertisil and I hope it works.  None of the prescription drugs have been helpful at all. Have you had any experience with this?  Where else can we go?  It's pretty miserable for him a lot of the time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There are a number of neurologic complications than have been described after bypass surgery, most related in some way to being on the cardiopulmonary bypass machine (which is what pumps the blood during the procedure, while they are working on the heart). Vertigo could certainly fit into this category, though it's not clear that damage to the vestibular nerve could result from the pump (unless it just wasn't getting enough blood during the procedure, which is unlikely if there were no other areas of the brain that were affected). Unfortunately, I don't have any insight into the best therapy for it, and it sounds as though you're seeing the appropriate physicians to help manage it (vestibular specialist). If they think the vestibular nerve was damaged, then neurologic input may be helpful. I presume he's had an MRI, but if not, he certainly should, just to make sure there isn't a structural abnormality.