Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart disease and Ativan

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart disease and Ativan
HI,

Its me again , something I wanted to ask last time but forgot
was if my chest pains and Palpitations are because of something wrong with my heart would Ativan make them go away? I take .5mg twice aday and sometimes an extra half when chest pain is present
and it usually relieves the symptoms. And secondly if I have it in my head something was wrong with my heart and I was your patient what would you do to ease my mind? If this is anxiety
or stress wouldn't I be better off with some definative test than taking Ativan for anxiety which I don't really want to take anyway? And the thought of something wrong with my heart is causing my anxiety? My doctor refuses based on the ER room EKG and blood tests plus his exam. Any info would be great...thanks
Dear greg,

Ativan belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepams and is similar to valium in nature.  The primary effect of ativan is in controling anxiety.  It does not have any significant cardiac effects.  Before I make a diagnosis of panic attack related chest pain I exclude other medical conditions that could be causing chest pain.  This would include cardiac, gastric and other misc. causes.  Once these are excluded and a diagnosis of anxiety is established I refer the patient to a specialist in this area.  
There are many good medications as well as psychological strategies for dealing with panic attacks.   Best wishes in dealing with your condition.
Oh yeh.....

Im 36 yrs , 6'-170lbs colesterol 119 and BP is always around
115-120/75-80.