Heart function at 40% capacity
My Father aged 73 seems had a heart attack where in doctors discovered 100%blockage in the right artery. The doctor  tried angioblast but no success. Since he had the attack almost more then 30 hours doctors suggested against the bypass surgery looking at his condition and they say there is no use in bypass.

His renal function was affected but is fine now under medication. He has marginal diabetes and BP is in control under medication. What is best solution we have for this case? Can he ab able to lead normal life with 40% efiicieny of the heart function?

Thanks for any help for my fathers case.
Ravi
Post heart attack my heart function (EF) is just 31%. Still I am leading an almost normal life with life supporting  drugs.
Thanks for the response Sukumar. That gives me lot of hope to handle my fathers case.

I am glad to know that you are able to lead almost normal life now. Do you have any specific suggestion on things like food, execricise anyhting? Please share these valuable info.

Warm regards,
Ravi
Hi I am in the same situation I am 67 my heart specialist has said go home enjoy whatyou can your heart is too scarred to do anything about and is working only 41%...same as your dad kidney failure but in control ...I also have mild emphysemia and have had Rheumatoid Arthritus for 20 years that is also under control with medication although I use a walker outside now. I have come home terrified not knowing if This was the last Xmas I was going to have so I have got used the fact I havent long to live. Now I have just found your comment and am wondering being that I feel okay can I live a number of years or even more?? Any advice would be appreciated thank you
I am 37 yrs old told that my heart
function is 40%. I experience chest
pain frequently, I'm scheduled for
the dye test next week. What would
possible be the reason for the low
function of my heart? Is it heredity
or what and should I be concerned?
My dad had a heart attack at 62, my
grandpa had his first heart attack in
his late 30's, my great grandpa had
several heart attacks, my great grandma
had 4 strokes , and I have an uncle
whose had a heart attack. Can anyone
give me advice on how to improve the
function percentage of my heart? Also
to mention I thought I had a heart
attach two months ago after I worked
out, had severe pain in center of
chest, and difficulty breathing. Any
advice would be appreciated.
I am diabetic, been in & out of hosp cause drs could not control it, I'm 51 yrs ols, I get tired to talk & even walk my feet stay swollen, after an echo (cardiogram & ECG) they found out I had a heart attack & the left side of my heart does not work so in total I've only 41% use, any help & or advice?
The left side of your heart is working, if it wasn't you wouldn't be here. It just isn't working as efficiently as it normally should. 41% EF is not a bad figure, I've seen much much worse. Do you have any more details to offer because it would be impossible to give any advice on the little information you have given. For example, they established that you've had a heart attack affecting the left side of your heart, but have they established if any of the muscle is still struggling with a small flow of blood through the coronary arteries. For example, it could be that a branch from the LAD has blocked, killing some muscle, but maybe a blockage in the LAD is affecting more muscle in the close vicinity. The usual process would be to send you for a nuclear scan to see how much heart muscle is still viable (if any) and can be improved with intervention such as bypass or stenting. An echo is not very accurate for determining if cardiac muscle can be saved or not. In 2007 I had a heart attack but got to hospital very quickly. During the procedure of stenting one artery, they noticed my left artery was 100% blocked They did an echo and saw how much slower the left chamber was relaxing and believed that much of the muscle must be dead. My Cardiologist said he wanted to be 100% and sent me for a nuclear scan which revealed it was all alive and could be improved.
My mother is 63 old, non-diabetic, no-BP, no-Cholesterol problem. She had got heart attack about 3 days back and she informed family members only after 3 days of attack. The correct time of attack is not known as she was having heart pain for 3 days and she was ignoring it as gas problem. Once she notified and taken to doctor she was having abnormal ECG and Trop-T also came positive. Doctors suggested that heart attack must have taken atleast 6 hours back. On Angiography she had LAD blocked 100% and had to get Stent (Resolute DES, 24 mm). Her heart is working at 40%-45% of capacity. Can you please suggest how much time she would take to get heart working fine. Also any risk to her life or she can lead normal life if she continue with all the precaution and medication on time.
Have they checked you for Hemachromatosis? That is what caused my husbands and his whole family heart disease-
The reason for my low % is because of a bad aortic valve which isn't opening properly. I've had this for 4 years and live a very normal life. I walk about one hour every day and never even get out of breath. Don't give up there's lots of ways to get better. Good luck to u all.
Sorry for all the typos. My phone has s mind of its own!
Hi Harley,
Sorry to hear that you and everybody here are going through such major health issues.
First thing first: Be very enthusiastic, have discipline to change your life and dont let anything to bother you. Be very mindful and try Yoga, meditation. Change your diet (whole grains, dont eat anything that is processed food and attend with your specialist and doctors to monitor your body).
Attend to your check ups annually. Trust your guts and listen to your body. Many times we are born with health problems or is in our genes or we have preconditions to develop health problems in a long run. What happens many times is that we dont have symptoms. That is why it is so important to get check up every year. Also if you know there is a history of any health problems running in your family that is another reason to see a doctor. Because we are at a higher risk to have that too.
I wish you the best so this is under control and dont panic. You have the chance to make those necessary changes to make your life easier because you are a live.
Good luck.
Hi Patricia.
This is very good advice. I have also been doing a lot of reading on the subject. It appears to me that often, reduced heart function can be related to what researchers called energy-starved heart. If that is the case there is good promise with a clinical trial out there on CoQ10 and its contributions: q-symbio.com
Hi KBB87
I had a closer look at your link: q-symbio.com and I must admit that the study sounds very interesting and promising. It is almost too good to be true. The study showed that patients in the CoQ10 group had a 43% decrease in cardiovascular death compared to the placebo group and there were no side effects reported during the study! I'm not familiar with any drug with zero side effects.

I googled q-symbio and came aross a Coq10 blogger who frequently writes about the benefits of coq10. Take a look: q10facts.com/paradigm-shift-in-cardiology-research/