Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart issues explanation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart issues explanation

Trying to understand exactly what "small basal anterior-septal infarct" and mild peri-infarct ischemia" means. My RSVP was elevated at 30-40 mmHg, had mild TR, mitral valve regurgitation with EF of 60-65%.  This was all a surprise to me but I did have borderline PAD in left leg (at knee), have a history of hypertension and Type II diabetes (controlled by weight loss and diet).  Can someone explain what all this means before I go to the cath lab for more testing and possibly a stent?  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey GolferPete,

Small basal anterior septal infarct refers to a small area of heart muscle which has some scarring on it.
I am not sure of your entire medical history but this generally happens in people who have suffered prior heart attacks and have sustained injury to parts of the heart.
Periinfarct ischemia refers to the surrounding area of heart muscle which is still alive but is not getting adequate blood supply to it, most commonly due to blockages in coronary arteries.
Depending on the modality of stress testing, there are chances that these tests may be falsely positive.
Hence, in a case like this, we would in most circumstances perform a cardiac catheterization and evaluate the nature of blockages and put stents to restore blood supply to this area of heart muscle in jeopardy

Hope that is helpful.