Heart Disease Community
Heart medications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Heart medications

I could really use your help.  I am trying to compile a list of common heart medications for one of the Health Pages. So many times someone asks for suggestions, about side effects, etc.  It would be great to have a place closeby where we could provide a hyperlink to more information on medications common for heart patients.  Will you please help me by letting me know what medication(s) you are currently taking, or what medication(s) you would like to know more about?  For example, I am taking lisinopril for BP control and Inderal for PVCs.  I would like to know more about cholesterol medications like lipitor, crestor and vytorin.

THANKS!!!
Connie
I am currently taking Metoprolol which is used for a variety of things.  I take it for BP and heart rate.

Good luck,

Adam
On carvedilol (aka coreg) 6.25 mg 2x a day and lisinipril 10 mg a day  to help protect my heart and keep my bp down from a  pregnancy induced cardiomyopathy. I have some dizziness probably from both and some short term memory issues from the coreg. Wondering if anyone else has had the memory issues w/coreg, glad my dose isn't any higher. =)
What about Zocor?  That is a very well known cholesterol medication.

I take:

20mg of Zocor to lower cholesterol -  no side effects - lowers it to normal levels

Clonodine patch #2 - for high BP - no side effects - BP below 120/80 most of the time

40mg of Lasix - for high BP - no side effects except for intense urination for a short time after I take the Lasix.

Have been taking the above for over 4 1/2 yrs with no side effects.

I'm stuck with, er, taking Diltiazem - helps with angina, lowers BP, supposed to help with some atrial arrhythmias, is a CCB.
Amber is currently taking coreg (carvedilol), vasotec (enalapril) which is an ACE inhibitor and inpra (eplerenone) which is taken by patients with low ef's   these medications she takes for dilated cardiomyopathy    she has recently begun digoxin, and this has improved her ef, and has improved overall heart function working in conjunction with the other meds     she is currently at the max dosage of coreg, and with the exception of occasional low bp she has tolerated it very well (though i will caution everyone that at the start of taking coreg the side effects can be troublesome, she had two issues of very low bp that actually made her "drop" to the ground, but after about two weeks she had no more issues)   she was prescribed digoxin to help with arrythmia, as she is not considered a good canditate for amiodarone due to the side effects         hope this helps   dawn
Hi Connie -

I came across this website that gives patient opinions on why they are taking a specific med, side effects they are suffering (if any) and overall rating of the meds.

Here's the url:
http://www.askapatient.com/rateyourmedicine.htm

It's quite extensive, and I like the overall ratings section too. I'd strongly encourage everyone to contribute your feedback on the drugs you're currently taking.

Thanks,
Chris
Thanks Chris!  

We are hoping to provide immediate links on the Health Pages directly to the medication information specific to heart conditions.  Maybe I'll be able (I'd have to check with MedHelp) to add this link also : )

Did you have a chance to check on the rehab program?  Just thought I'd ask : )

Connie
Thanks for all the contributions....Keep 'em coming.  Even if someone wants to just list any heart meds they know of, I'll be sure they are included in the links.
Hi....
Currently I take Verapamil for SVT, even though I've already had 2 ablation procedures...it helps control my heart rate.
I also just started taking Spironolactone for my high blood pressure.
I was taking Maxide, but my potassium levels were dumping way too low.  The Spironolactone is more "potasium-sparing".
I am 21 and I take verapamil for PSVT and HB, hctz for HB,coreg 12.5 2x's a day for HB and heart protection and Altace 2.5 for heart health and HB.

verapamil i've been on since i was 18 and have had no terrible side effects

HCTZ I get slightly dehydrated but the Altace regultaes my potassium.

Coreg i have memory loss and fatigue

altace the ACE inhibitor i am very sensitive to.
currently taking

lipitor.......did have muscle pains but these eased once I started cardiac rehab
bisoprolol
ramipril
aspirin
lansoprazole

post MI with stents. based in UK

regards to all
Christine

Hi everyone!

Thanks again for the responses on the medications thread.  I think I may have given the wrong idea about side effects.  Just to clarify, for this thread I'm looking for just the names of medications.  MedHelp hopes to provide quick links to medications we want to know more about.  With so many people being put on cholesterol lowering meds, BP controlling meds, and a myriad of other heart-related medications, they're trying to get an idea of the various medications people are taking.  For those of you who still might like to offer ideas, you just need to list the names.  For example:

Vytorin
Tambacor

As for the side effects, you don't have to list your own sides.  Rather, MH will provide a link to infomation on Vytorin where you will be able to get that informaiton, and much more.

To those of you who have already posted, thanks very much!!

Connie
My dad is on a whole list following bypass surgery:

Digitex
Famotidine
Verapamil
Pacerone
Crestor
Coenzyme Q10
Aspirin
Advair
Thanks for the list!  That's great!  I'll be sure to pass those along when I compile the list.  Hope your dad is doing well.  My dad also takes a LOT of medications, post CABG.
My dad is having lots of problems with nausea.  Since the list of meds is so long, we aren't sure which one(s) are to blame.  Any suggestions??
Plavix
Lipitor
Metaprolol
Niaspan
Asprin

http://www.askapatient.com/viewtopratings.asp

This link provides names of meds by category. E.g. Ace Inhibitors has a link to a list of 12 meds in the category.
I would definitely set up an appointment to meet with the doctor in person.  Your dad should not have to be feeling so much nausea.  I can't say which medication would cause the nausea, but the doctor should be able to rule in/out some possibilities.  
Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent a list of medications to MedHelp.  It is my understanding that they will incorporate the medications into a Health Page for easy reference.  Will keep you posted when I hear more.

Thanks to everyone for the input!!

connie
Just wanted to contribute to the list. I am taking 5 mg. a day of Bystolic (it's a beta blocker). I am suppose to be taking 10 mg. a day, but the 5 is working fine so I take the 5 mg. instead. I asked on the forums if anyone else is taking this medication, but so far no one has answered, more than likely because it's a new BB here in the States. So far I haven't had any side effects and it seems to be working wonderfully on lowering my BP when nothing else worked :)
Please take a few minutes to check out the new Health Page with common cardiac medications!  Thank you all so much for your contributions!  Celeste, your list was great (as you'll see).....thanks again everyone!

If anyone has any medication(s) they'd like to add, please let me know and I'll advise MH.

connie
I SUFFERED A SUDDEN DEATH HEART ATTACK COUPLED WITH ANOXIC ENCEPHALOPATHY. . .I HAVE BEEN ON THE FOLLOWING MEDICATIONS

ECOTRIN, CENTRUM, COREG, PLAVIX, ENALIPRIL, SPIRONOLACTONE, FUROSEMIDE, BUSPAR
Thanks for the contributions BOB_27!!  
I am currently taking BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol) 5 mg (a new beta blocker) and ACEON (perindopril) an Ace Inhibitor not too popular in the U.S. but an excellent med.
I sometimes think I am the only one in S.A. that has discovered this Forum (the rest don't know what they are missing!!) and the generics and names of the meds are different around here.

Beta blockers that I have been using:
Sotacor
Tambocor
Concor

other meds:
Lanoxin
Aspavor (generic of Lipitor)
Cardicor
Ecutrin

I have my own little Pharmacy by now :)
I didn't think about that - will MedHelp point out the meds that are not available in the US? There are folks from other countries that may use different meds and they need information about those as well.
I know!!  When I saw Smiley's comment I thought...uh-oh.  I hadn't thought of it either....I've advised MH that we have a BIG question around here...LOL