Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart or anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart or anxiety

Hi and thank you so much for taking my question! I have had a fear of heart problems for years. I'm 32, weigh 107, total chol 174, LDL 116, hdl 46, tri 78, bp is 110/68, non smoker. My mother died at 53 after her femoral artery was ruptured during a stent placement for a heart attack. She was a heavy smoker her whole life. Both her parents still alive no heart problems and great mother lived till 90 with no heart problems. Fathers side no heart disease. I have had 3 echocardiograms 2005 2009 2011, 1 stress test 07, numerous ekgs, 1 holter monitor, and 3 event monitors last was 2011. All normal except occasional pvcs pacs on monitors. Echos had Ef of 65 and 70.  Teo of the echos and 2 monitors took place during my pregnancies and where for palpitations and shortness of breath. Here is what currently has me concerned. When I exercise I get some mild chest pain on the left side but mostly a pulsating pain on the right side of my neck/ throat. It's not a radiating pain and is hard to explain. It stops the instant i slow down walking or what ever im doing. I dont need to totally stop for it to go away and its mot there everytime. I had chest and arm pain the other night and ended up in er. The first EKG they did the dr said looked borderline strange for someone my age. He only said it looked a little like it would if the heart wasn't getting enough oxygen and did a repeat immediately which he said was normal. He said it may have been because I was anxious and my heart rate was 120s. They did a total of 3 and only the first looked a little off. Troponin I test was negative (not sure of result it only said less than 0.06 on the paper and neg). They said pain was due to reflux and anxiety. My drs only see me as a hypochondriac after all the negative testing. Should I seek more testing? Is this not cardiac in nature? Could they have missed something after all this? I also have seasonal asthma. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone
It is very difficult to come to a concrete diagnosis online but, based on what you describe, your previous investigations have been reassuringly negative for heart disease.
If you continue to have chest pain when you exercise, it might be best to have an exercise stress test done.  As you may recall the stress test evaluates whether you have good blood supply to your heart muscle  during exercise. During this test you will walk on a treadmill. The treadmill will go faster and get steeper as you exercise. It gives your doctor very good information on how your heart muscle is able to cope when it has to work harder with exercise. If you have problems with blood flow to your heart (which is one of the more serious causes of chest pain) this test should show it up.

I also wanted to mention that the pvcs have been increased the last month but I also have been obsessing over them and every other heart related symptom. Somedays I feel 10 other days it seems like a 1-3 every minute. Thanks!
Wanted to add that the stress test was normal but was stopped at 6 minutes cause I was short of breath. Report said reached 7 mets max heart rate 178 92%. Bp of 130/68 with a doubling product of 23,140. Heartrate and bp increased appropriately. Normal sinus rythym baseline ECG. No arrythmia. No ischemic changes during exercise. Could much have changed sine 07 and could all the stress from worrying and anxiety have done damage now. I have had terrible skipped beats the last few days and between that and the left arm hand and neck pains I feel like I'm going crazy! Please someone give me some advice. Thank you!
Your ticker has been examined pretty thoroughly, and you have been told that your heart is healthy.

It would not be a bad idea to post in the heart rhythm forum, where people who have been told they are OK discuss their fears (and indeed terror) about cardiac conditions:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Heart-Rhythm/show/92?controller=forums&action=show&id=92&camp=msc