Heart Disease Community
Heart pain....is death knocking at my door? : (

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

LITTLE HISTORY ABOUT MYSELF....
I'm a 29yr old male, measure 5'9, and weigh between 245-250lbs (I consider myself obese).

I have a had a history of uncontrolled (never taken meds for high blood pressure) mild high blood pressure (which was first detected at about age 23) and recently quit smoking pot (I was a heavy consistent pot smoker for the last 2 years or so). I've considered myself very inactive as my job requires sitting in front of a computer for most of the day for the last 4 or 5 years and my eating habbits were careless, as I did not watch what I ate (I actually had the tendency to eat out at fast foods alot, including Pizza).

MY CURRENT SYMPTOMS....
It started about 4 to 5 weeks ago when I started having different kind of pains in the left side of my chest approx an inch to the left side of the center of my chest. These pains can range from achy, dullness, heavy pressure, tightness, shocking, squeezing.... with achy, dull and shocking being the most common. The pains come and go ranging from a few seconds to about 5 mins. Sometimes they come more intense than other times. The pains seem to come spurraticly throughout the day and night. At times I can feel the pains with deep breaths and at times I cannot. I don't think anything specific is triggering the pains and I cannot seem to pin down when they often come (there is no certain cycle). It seems they do not necessarily come on with excertion or while exercising, however, I have felt them a few occasions while excersing (for example the first 5 mins), although I was able to finish my excersise with no pain. Sometimes I can feel the pains (also shocking sensations) with what seems to be each heartbeat. I twist and turn to see if the pain is related to possible muscle pain and the pain does not seem to happen with any movemnet or action. At one time, for a period of 3 days in a row I woke up with alot heavyness pressure and pain in my chest and as soon as I would get up it would slowly go away. The pains can become quite frightening, painful and very discomforting. I have had heart palpatations while exercising, but have noticed they have subsided somewhat. This is probably due to the easing in of the excersise from being nonactive for the last 2 years.

WHAT HAPPENED...
For the first few days i brushed it off, in hopes that it would go away, possibly by excersising. I decided to start excersing after I quit smoking and also decided to change my diet. But after a week and a half, I woke up with heavyness in my chest for 2 days in a row, not to mention a continuance of "on and off" pain that ha not gone away, I thought I better seek medical attention by making an appointment with my family doctor. They took me in right away as I complained of chest pains.

They checked my blood pressure and, as usual, mildly high (153/93). They did blood tests and 2 (resting) EKGs which both came back normal (including normal cholesterol). The doctor advised that she felt I may be suffering from GERD (acid reflux) and prescribed some Zantac. She stated she did not think this was a heart realted problem, but to be on the safe side, she has scheduled me for a stress test (treadmill EKG), which is pending on 7/7/08.

Just yesterday I had the most frightening pain of all, I was at work around 9 AM simply walking to my desk when I stopped to chat with a co-worker, while talking all of a sudden I felt what seemed like a crushing chest pain with a spasm mixed in around or where my heart is. It lasted about 7-10 seconds and slowly went away. I freaked out and quickly rushed to tell my boss. I did not get that same awful pain anymore for the rest of the day. After work I rushed myself to the ER as I was still freaked out. They took me in and did an EKG and chest X-ray immedietley. Both came out normal. This was the 3rd EKG that has came out normal. The doctor stated that the number one rule of thumb was not if the pain did not increase during physical activity then the chances are that it is not heart related and that was a good sign. Ever since that scary incident, I continue to have spurratic chest pains that come and go, but I haven't had the consistent pain that lasted for more than 5 mins since then. (NOTE: I also noted that before I decided to diet, after I ate a heavy meal I would feel my head throbbing, my heart would feel like it was struggling to beat or beating very hard, and I felt very hyperactive).

MY CONCERNS....

My greatest concern is that my chest pain is heart related. Being that I had unctrolled high blood pressure smoked pot heavily, was inactive both at home and at work, Over-ate (Also due to Pot)....... Could this be heart related? Could I have somehow caused damage to my heart? Could I have heart disease?

NOTES TO CONSIDER....

The day before I had that sharp pain that almost sent me to the floor, I had pushed my limits on the treadmill, doing an hour of excerises and somewhat intense. I did not have any pain while on the treadmill that day at all......could that have caused my pain??? Could my heart simply be waking up from being nonactive???

I AM SINKING INTO DEPRESSION...

I'm at a lost. This is causing depression and anxiety in my life (which now seems to alter my symptoms). I cannot concentrate at work (especially when I have spurratic pains in my chest). I am now having trouble sleeping. I dont' know if it's me or if I am sometimes feeling like I am having shortness of breath at night when going to bed. Any help or input would be appreciated. I have a wife and 3 children (ages 6,9,12) that I think of everyday. I am very scared.
Hi Predaphin,
It sounds like this chest pain has become the focal point of your life, which is understandable when you fear that it is a warning sign of serious problems. I myself would get such pains and worried about them a lot, and the more I worried and thought of them, the more frequently they would come. But what helped me was to be a little more educated on the subject.
Pain related to the heart and its blood supply is known as angina. Angina that resolves relatively quickly (under 30 min.) is known as stable angina, and there are no long term side effects. The heart is not damaged at all, it is just painful. So don't worry about heart injury.
But I would question if your symptoms are heart related. From what you wrote it sounds like the pain is very localized (you can point to the place where it originates). Heart pain/attacks etc. have very generalized pain, meaning you would not be able to point to a focal area. You also said that these events are sporatic, and are not directly exercise induced, which would be odd for stable angina.Your experience of palpatations, etc. during exercise may be due to strenuous exercise which you are not used to, don't just throw yourself into too hard of an exercise routine too soon, ease yourself into it.
You may be having some anxiety attacks, which when combined with your fears, manifest themselves as what you would perceive as a heart related issue. This doesn't mean that it would only happen when you are stressed or thinking about it, it could hit at sporatic times, because that same fear is always in the back of your mind ready to emmerge. You should try some relaxation exercises, and don't let yourself think that your pain is meaning impending death.Look up some breathing exercises to relieve stress. You may not be able to abate the fear right at first, but if you fight the fear and try to push it away, gradually you can get in control of it, and hopefully be free of it.
I hope that this was helpful to you! Tell me if anything I said was confusing/ want more info. Best of luck in this, I can really relate. All the best!
Unfortunately, I can't give advice here.  But I felt it necessary to say that you're not the only one.  You're entry has pretty much described my experiences verbatim!

You would think that having professionals tell you "your heart is fine" would be comforting.  It is not.  It almost makes it worse and makes you feel very alone and vulnerable.

I don't spend a lot of time here.  Is there a way I can follow up on this post?  I would really like to see the outcome as I am also suffering.

Oh, and thank you Coffeebean for a very kind, understanding, and someone comforting reply.  You are appreciated.

Aaron
I had similar pains for two years before finally getting a diagnosis. It took many doctors' visits and eleven ER visits with most doctors literally saying to me, "don't come back here with this pain. Take two Advil and go to bed. There's nothing wrong with you."

In fact, there was something very wrong with me. However, it took two years for it to fully develop into a full-fledged illness which was Perimyocarditis. Part of the problem I learned was that my symptoms were "Atypical." I so much hate that word that I'm writing a book about my experiences. In a two year span, I suffered from two different classic presentations of lessor known conditions. And doctors diagnosed me with "Atypical Migraine" for one and "Atypical Chest Pain" for the other.

To say the least, this was frustrating especially when I discovered what I had. There was nothing atypical about my conditions. I had all the classic signs right down the line for each of my two conditions.

The other condition was not a migraine, but Narrow-Angle Glaucoma which presents with heart palpitations, chest pain, pain in and around the eye, nausea, photophobia, and occipital head pain. You can have many other symptoms which I exhibited at one time or another. This condition presents in 'attacks' and worsens over time resulting in blindness in the affected eye if not treated. After nine months of suffering and seeing several doctors for my condition, I was fortunate to find an ER doctor who knew what he saw. And he listened to me unlike the other doctors who dismissed my symptoms as 'atypical.' I was five hours from losing my sight in my right eye.

The Perimyocarditis was only discovered after I presented with the classic sharp pain which registered a definite "10" on the pain scale. I nearly passed out from the excruciating pain. As my hubby said, I was white as a sheet. It took two times with back to back ER visits, within 30 hours of each other, to finally get diagnosed. That second visit to the ER shocked the doctor who diagnosed me, because the first ER doctor sent me home without pain medication. And I was in so severe pain I couldn't sleep on my back or my left side.

I was hospitalized three times in one month for complications. Three months later I was pronounced healed with no return of symptoms.

I learned from these experiences that persistence pays off in the long run. And that not every doctor can figure out what's wrong. And that you have to find the doctor who has the experience with your condition for you to get diagnosed. And that the best doctors are the ones who can both take a thorough history and listen, they make great diagnosticians.
I totally agree that finding the right doctor is both challenging and necessary.  I was having localized pain in my left upper chest for a month, thinking it was indigestion.  One morning it was excruciating pain.  Ambulance and hospitalization.  All normal EKGs and 24-hour blood tests.  The hospitalist told me I was going home and coming back the next day for a stress test, but that my primary care doctor had to sign me out.  She listened to my "story," said I was staying and seeing a cardiologist.  He ordered an angiogram, I had a quadruple bypass.  95% blockage in my left main artery, the "widow maker."  A stress test might have killed me!    My doctor's seasoned, experienced "intuition" probably saved my life, but what if I'd not had her?  The point is, don't give up.  Pester for second and third opinions.  You know your body best.  Doctors are humans.  They make mistakes.  If you don't think they are hearing you, go elsewhere.  They are not infallible, but a good diagnostician is a life saver.  Some of health pursuit is luck, so I'm wishing you the best of luck.
I was where you are at in 2005. A couple of things to consider, frirst at 5'9" and 250 pounds you are obese and many of your symptoms may be related to deconditioning, especially if you have just started exercise, but even without exercise deconditioning can cause symptoms, you need to get the weight off.

Also, you have been checked out pretty well, so you need to listen to the doctors and get past the fear and go to work on getting you health back through exercise and diet. Get your weight down, your blood pressure will come down.

One last thing to consider is that your symptoms could also very easily be anxiety related. People don't like to hear that but anxiety can play all kinds of tricks on your mind, you may want to talk to your doctor about that as well.

I was well over weight in 2005 and went to the ER for some mild chest pain. If you ever want to get pushed to the front of a long line at the ER, just let them see you are an overwight 47 year old male with chest pain and you're first up. I had all the tests you went through plus cardiac marker tests and got held over night for a Nuclear Stress test the next day. I had these tests repeated every year for 3 years, always normal so I know it's hard to get away from the fear. On January 1st 2007 I chaged my diet and started working out. I'm now down 70 pounds but still have a few to loose, slow weight loss is the key, don't try to get it all at once. My doctor saw my anxiety over my health and treated that as well. Today I am back to my old normal self, but it was difficult.

You'll get there, just make sure you exercise, diet and keep your doctor informed on any changes in your symptoms, never ignore chest pain, go to your doctor or the ER, it's not worth the risk.

Hope this helps,

Jon
I want to thank you all for the responses.

I am really looking forward to that stress test. At the same time I am scared they may find something is wrong. But like everybody tells me, it's better to know now than later.

I will say a prayer for all of you on here, likewise a prayer would be appreciated.

Before I was finally diagnosed with 2 90% blockages and 1 70% blockage;I had been told by almost an entire group of cardiologists that I was "fine". My gerd was causing my problems along with a hiatal hernia.My wife and mother thought me to be a "nut" case when I kept going to the ER.They convinced me to seek psycological care;after all it was just "nerves".........I too kept waking in the night unable to breathe.One good thing that did come out of all my visits to the DR. was finding out that I had sleep apnea(which could have contributed to my heart problems).The cardiologist that ended up finding my blockages initally told me that my risk factors were too low too worry about such and that I was a hypochondriac.After finding my problem and doing bypass;he said that some of us just "slip thru the cracks"......I guess thats as close to an apology as I am going to get.I crashed during catherization and had to be shocked back.The attending cardiologist chastised me for "scaring him".......I asked the surgeon how long he thought this had been going on...he said many years.........I have very little faith in Drs. lately.....Have you been checked for sleep apnea????Do you have alot of stress in your life?????Look for a DR. that will take a little time to listen rather than give you your five minutes then schedule your for a test.........You are young enough to dodge any cardiac bullet that may be coming your way....................
I'm sorry you are going through this.  First off, I would not say you are OBESE. You are overweight, yes, but since you do work out you are probably muscular.

Your blood pressure is high.  I don't understand why, if that is your normal reading, the doctors are not giving you medicine to lower it.  

I have HBP and High cholesterol and I'm overweight (they call me OBESE too) and there's a strong family history of heart attacks.  Anyway, I am much older than you, but I had experiences with that crushing type of chest pain.  Question:  Does the pain go around your back also?  How long does it last?  I had all the tests several times, and although I do have risk factors, I have no major problems YET.  I take medicine for my HBP and I tried the statins for cholesterol, but I can't tolerate the side effects.

My thinking is that since you do work out that this is a muscle pain.  There is also something called costochondritis (sp?) that is a pain in the muscle in your chest.  It is a fairly common thing, especially in people with fibromyalgia (which I have), but anyone can get it.

These are just my thoughts.  Please don't worry.  Get your tests done.  Be happy if they say they're clear.  Then I would try a rheumatologist for your pain.  Good luck.
I did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings when I stated you are obese, but by medical terms you are classed as obese. You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 37 and anything over 30 is classed as obese. Also, please don't fear the stress test, you are right it is better to know and I think you'll be pleased at the results.

Just be cautious when you read the internet forums. There are definately people that have passed their tests and been cleared by cardioilogists and then had the big one, it happens. What you need to remember is that you are reading posts from people that have had poor outcomes, the people that have been in your situation and had normal test results and go on to live normal lives don't tend to post, there just is no longer a need. You will read many more posts from unfortunate individuals that had bad experiences than from the hundreds of thousand that had normal test results and moved on so don't let your anxiety get the best of you.

Good luck on the test, I think you'll do great!

Jon
Just remember GERD can mimmick heart disease,in fact most people that have a bad case of GERD could not tell it from a heart attack.Zantac can relieve symtoms (symptoms) from moderate GERD but you may need a PPI(proton pump inhibitor)such as Prevacid,Nexium,Zegerid,Protonics,etc. to relieve your symtoms (symptoms).If your stress test comes back negative;you might want to discuss such meds with your Dr.Also, everyday stress can cause some very distressing symtoms (symptoms) also mimmicking heart trouble.Good luck to you and may the Lord be with you..   JHH
Thanks again for more responses guys. Tommorow is my stress test.

I do suffer from sleep apnea. I've talked to my physician about it and she has me set up for a sleep apnea test on 7/24/08 (I have Kaiser Permanente Insurance). It seems like these tests get put far off, which really gets me frustrated because I feel I am not living a normal life.
As for stress in my life, well, I do have a stressful job, in which I am a paralegal. Court documents have to be submitted by a certain time frame. However, I've been doing it for about 6 years and I'm usually well ahead of my work whereas I feel I have my job down packed to where I don't really stress myself out. But then again, maybe i'm just assuming.

Cinddee, I did start working out but it has been only about a month and a half when I started feeling a bit ill. Although, I have not lifted any weights, rather have stuck to strictly cardio (running on treadmill and playing basketball). Therefore I am not muscular, but rather overwieght. I will say that before I started smoking pot (in which I deeply regret), I was lifting weights and doing cardio for about a year and a half (then I started to smoke and shyed away from the gym slowly but surely. Back then I was muscular.

It's a real bummer feeling the way I am feeling. I feel like i'm not living a normal life. I have to admit I do tend to beleive i have stress, depression and anxiety, but I also will say I beleive it these things came well after I began feeling chest pains. Before that, I felt fine. And another bummer is the fact that I may now have anxiety, stress and depression, therefore I'm not quite sure anymore what symptoms are real and what symptoms are in my head.

What I can say is that the follwoing symptoms are 100% real:

1. Chest pain - pressure, achy, dull, shocking and stabbing....it can come at any time for no particular reason and can last anywhere from a second to 5 mins (or even linger meaning coming and going about every 3 to 4 minutes) and as of late i've noticed it comes more frequently at night when I'm asleep and at times maybe about 10-20 minutes after eating a small meal (even a salad). Lately it has even woke me up which freaks me out. The funny thing is that it seems that as soon as I move in a different postion or sit up from sleeping the pain seems to go slowly away, however, the pain tends to come back the next time i'm waking up from it. I cannot tell how long the pains last, but I figure they must range from anywhere from a second to 5 minutes while i'm asleep. Also, as I stated in my first post, I had the strongest pain i've ever felt that one day at work for about 10 seconds or so. That was for real. I thank GOD i have not felt that same pain since then. It literally knocked me to the floor.

2. Heartburn - This symptom is a fact. I get the burns in my esophagus and sometimes I can feel like food simply gets stuck or comes up from the esophagus. I am staying away from spicy foods and my doctor has me on Zantac.

3. Burping - I have the tendecy to burp out loud and with force. Sometimes, I don;t even expect it. Sometimes even after drinking lots of water. More often I noted after a heavy meal which would also leave me bloated. Since I am now scared of my chest pains I have cut my meals in half for the last 3 weeks (and have ate nothing but salads) and have notice the forceful burps have somewhat subsided or mellowed out, but at times I still have the tendecy to burp, especially after any meal.

4. High Blood Pressure - They have me montoring my blood pressure right now and it contiues to be mildy high at times, although now that i've been eating practically nothing but salads, it seems to be a bit more under control.

These are symptoms to which I am not sure if they are real or simply in my head from anxiety, depression and stress:

1. Fatigue - Sometimes I feel like I get tired easily. Sometimes I feel like my eyes are heavy and I am sleepy. It can happen by simply by walking for a few minutes. I feel like my heart is working harder than usual for no particular reason. This symptom may also occur after eating a meal.

2. Shortness of Breath - I decided to put this symptom here because I have noted that this symptom has somewhat subsided at night (at least I think it has). I have not felt this symptom for the last 4 or 5 nights. I May have felt this symptom during the day a few times, but rarely.

3. Pain radiating to my left shoulder/arm - At times, I feel like pain radiates down my left arm. Sometimes feeling it under the armpit down to the inner part of elbow. The pains may or may not occur with chest pains. This pain comes and goes in spuratic moments lasting anywhere from a second to a few minutes. But like I said, sometimes I don;t know if the pain is really there or if it's my mind playing tricks on me.

4. Pain radiating up my throat to my jaws - As of today, I began noting a new symptom. I woke up with pain radiating in my jaw (mostly on the right side). I do have a moler that needs some work there and i'm figuring that is simply what it is. It feels like an itching (in gum) mixed with an aching pain. The thing is I can somehwat feel it radiate through my neck and that makes me doubt it's my tooth. I've brushed my teeth about 3 times this morning to see if it goes away, but this pain alike other, comes and goes in spuratic moments.

5. Lump in throat - At times I feel like I have a lump in my throat and it makes me want to swallow to make it go away. But again I cannot make out if it's my mind or if it's really there. Of course, the more I really think it's there, the more tendecy I have to swallow.

6. Cold sweats (only at night) - I cannot say if this symotom is related to my chest pains as I have noted cold sweats in my past. Even when I worked out at the gym a few years ago. But lately I have woke up drenched and soaked in sweat. I don't get cold until after I pull the covers away as they too will be soaked in sweat. That is when i beagn to feel cold.

7. Pain radiating to my back - This is another symptom that has came as of late in which I cannot point out if it is really there, although it feels like it is. It almost feels like the pain is at the equivalent place where I am getting my chest pains (almost underneath the left wingbone or so). It's really hard to tell as I cannot point it out. This pain however, seems to come on with the chest pain at hand.

There you have it. These are my most notible symptoms (that I can think of right now). I am beggining to get fed up of living this way. Yesterday, I told myself, screw this, if I'm going to have a heart attack then let's get it overwith and decided to go outside and play some intense basketball. To my surpise, I had no feeling of chest pain in the 20-30 minutes or so of playing basketball (which I take as a great sign). I felt very upbeat after that and decided to power walk and light jog (about 2 hours after playing basketbal)l for another good 30 minutes on my treadmill, again no signs of any chest pain.

The positives I tend to think i have going for me are:
- My age "29"
- 3 resting EKG's have been normal
- Blood test taken in March of this year was normal inlcufing all sugar and cholesterol readings.

I need to know what is wrong with me and be put on meds cause the only thing I am taking right now is Aspirin (which I take at night because that is when I have noticed the chest pains stronger) and Zantac. I have the tendency to self daignose myself which is a bad thing. I fear I may have Angina, heart disease or an enlarged heart. I hope and pray it has nothing to do with my heart. I also fear of getting a heart attack any day now. I want to live a normal life again. : (
I am in the same boat as you.  I have all the same symptoms as you and they have been going on for awhile.  I was doing good up until a couple of days ago and then "bam" all my symptoms came back.

I suffer from chest pressure, chest pain, left shoulder pain, left arm pain, left elbow pain, veins that swell in my left forearn, lower jaw pain, dizziness and leg pain (only when walking up stairs).  I have been told my symptoms are "atypical" in nature for cardiac problems but when you look them up on the internet they all say heart condition.  I want to see my doc. but they always brush me off, saying it is anxiety.  I don't know what to do anymore.

I have had many tests done.  EKG's, stress test, stress echo test, nuclear stress test, 2D echo, tilt table test, and so much bloodwork.  All came back fine, and most of these are pretty recent (withing the last 3 months).

I wish you luck today with your stress test but I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone with your symptoms and that hopefully they find out what is wrong with you.

Shell
Thanks for your reply shell.

Well guys, I went for my stress test and thank GOD everything came back fine. That is just another hurdle I've jumped. During the beggining of my stress test I began to have lingering minimal chest pain (which was about a 2 on a pain scale). I advised the nurse and she noted it down on the EKG graph.

The nurse told me everything looked fine. She did note that my heart rate jumped up to a high rate really fast when they put the treadmill on max speed but she stated that was not uncommon, especially for people whom haven't excerised that much (I did advised her that I had began excerising for the last 2 months or so after being inactive for 2 years).

This has put my mind somewhat at ease. However, the chest pains are still there. I will say that it seems that for the last 2 nights the chest pains have decreased in pain, as well as in the day, but they are still there on a daily basis. I have noted I am now at 242 lbs. and have continued my strict diet of salads (i began adding chicken). After the stress test came out good, I decided to up my excersise a bit once again, however, I know I should be consulting with the doctor for that. Again, the wierd thing is that I feel no pain whatsoever when excerising. However, I did note last night after having sexual relations, i had chest pain that lasted about 5 to 10 seconds (with a pain scale of about a 3 or 4) upon completion of sexual activity.

Today, I have to pick up a holstor monitor and will be wearing it for 24 Hrs.
Predaphin:Remember this.Symptoms cause anxiety
which cause more symptoms which cause more anxiety which cause more.....well,you get the drift.Add a dash of GERD;maybe a little high blood pressure;some over sensitive self monitoring;and BADA-BING!!!!You're generating enough nervous energy to drive yourself nuts! Objectively analyze your results then act to  pursue a healthy lifestyle.I have found many of the writings of Dr. Andrew Weil to be helpful.Also the book The South Beach Heart Program by Arthur Agatston,M.D. was very instructive.This comes from someone who had all your symtoms (symptoms) for YEARS.Maybe that is why I ended up having heart problems in the end.Or it could be my genetic factors.....who knows?????Only GOD.....Remember...Enjoy life.Do what you are.Love your children.Have faith.......the rest is in God's plan................Good Luck   JHH
You wrote: "I need to know what is wrong with me and be put on meds cause the only thing I am taking right now is Aspirin (which I take at night because that is when I have noticed the chest pains stronger) and Zantac."

How long have you been on the Aspirin?
Do you sleep on your back and is the pain worse when you do?
Does anything relief your back pain? Any position?

Aspirin can mask certain heart conditions and make them appear nearly non-existent. This happened to me and delayed my diagnosis. I was low-dose Aspirin and it masked my Pericarditis. When I started bleeding from the low-dose Aspirin and quit taking it, I got diagnosed with Pericarditis. It took about two weeks for my body have enough normal platelets and then wham! - Pericarditis showed up. Why? Aspirin is one of the treatments for Pericarditis.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Interestingly, after being treated for Pericarditis my sleep apnea disappeared. Makes me wonder if it was sleep apnea at all.
can i just say now im REALLY scared cause some of u said your tests were wrong or mis read or even people have been ignored, would the symptoms come and go if it was heart related? would you have great days with no symptoms at all?????
I would not put too much stock in an EKG - people have been known to have a perfect EKG indicating all is fine, and walk out having a heart attack within days.  Push for more answers - go see different doctors.  Anxiety can cause chest pain, but get your questions answered.  You could be searching for something other than a blockage.  You are doing the right thing by listening to your body!  Adding you to my prayer list . . .
Trust in the Lord for he can only make things better! try that Frist, and see whats happing have Faith! I had the same discomfort you did i seeked the LORD because no Doc had the answer but God dose. Give him you whold heart and mind he will take care of it for you, the devil is a lair!

God Bless All
I have had the worst 8 months of my life.  First, let me start by saying, I am a 31 year old female.  I had a PICC line removed from an infection from an ear surgery and the day after I began to complain of chest pain, shortness of breath..  I went to 3 different hospitals within 3 weeks and was told "all anxiety, labs fine", finally the day after my birthday I found an ER that did a CT scan for my peace of mind and found 2 blood clots in my lungs.  Needless to say, my "anxiety problem" is now out of control.  They put my on blood thinners, then while on blood thinners I developed a clot in my thigh, then they placed a filter in my inferior vena cava to hopefully prevent a clot in my lungs, and ever since the filter was placed my chest pains have worsened..  Even on pain medication..  I can be okay one day, then chest pains on and off the next two days.  I have tried xanax, nexium, prilosec, tums, ativan, switching around anti-depressants..  Everything.  I now have a pulmonologist, cardiologist, hematologist, gynecologist, gastroenterologist, primary care doctor, rheumatologist..  Think that's enough..  covered every specialist known to man almost!  NOT FUN!  I have had numerous tests to rule out cardiac chest pain, I do have mild asthma and mild pulmonary hypertension, but doctors don't seem to think that is causing my pain.  I do have shortness of breath occasionally with the pain.  I have gone into Atrial Fibrillation twice within last year, this can happen at any age, even in "healthy" young people.  I will post a comment on that shortly..  The rheumatologist says I have fibromyalgia withouth the joint tenderness?  I have been told everything from anxiety, pleurisy, all sorts of reasons for the pain..  What is a person supposed to do?  My best advice, you are the one who knows your body.  If the doctor's answer doesn't "help" you, seek another opinion.  Only you know what you are going through.  Good luck to all of you!  
Hi there!  After reading your post, I wanted to share some of my experiences with you.  First of all, I am in the medical field, and after having 3 blood clots at age 31 I have learned enough to make anyone anxious, my anxiety is through the roof when it comes to thinking if it's cardiac related, are the doctor's sure?, etc..  I know EXACTLY what you are saying.  First, let me tell you about a conditioin known as Atrial Fibrillation, this is an arrythmia (irregular heart beat) that can cause some of the symptoms you are describing and it is not uncommon in marijuana use (or former use) at any age.  I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and have basically narrowed it down to it occuring after I vomit (with the flu, etc)..  But again, very scary symptoms.  Of course, very hard to "catch" the episode at an ER visit, so would recommend holter monitoring (for 24 hours) and to ease your mind further an event monitor (can be worn for 2 weeks- one month) depending on what your cardiologist approves of.  Other things that are known to cause chest pain..  GERD, Stress, Anxiety, sleep disturbances, smoking, illicit drug use, different herbs (green tea, ginseng, bitter orange to name a few), electrolyte disturbances (lab work can rule this out), dehydration, caffeine, alcohol, high altitudes, asthma, back and/or rib problems, lung problems, pulmonary hypertension, blood clots, infections, inflammation, gallstones, pancratitis, fibromyalgia, depression, using decongestants or antihistamines, the list goes on and on.  I would suggest if you have a good cardiologist and a good pulmonologist (they will run all the tests to rule out the "emergent" causes) they will refer you to the proper specialists to look further for the cause.  Don't be alarmed if they suggest a psychiatric consult or a visit to a good counselor.  That can help tremendously.  Try your best to deep breathe, relaxation techniques, not eating at least 4 hours before laying down, eliminating the above triggers from your life and of course DO NOT try any new over the counter meds or herbs or prescriptions without your doctor's approval and make sure ALL of  your doctors are aware of everything you are taking.  I hope this helps, and it should ease your mind when you find the "right" group of doctors.  Keep searching until you find one..  We are all in this together!  Take care and best of luck!  Don't ever hesitate to go to ER if your symptoms are worsening, or you want to make sure it is not your heart.  It is better to be on the safe side.  
Just wanted to add, NEVER EVER EVER try to "self-diagnose" yourself..  The results could cost you your life!  If you are experiencing new onset chest pain seek immediate medical attention within minutes!  If you have experienced chest pain before, but it is lasting longer than normal, has changed in any way, or occurs with other symptoms (indigestion-especially in women) sweating, dizziness, travels to other areas of the body, seek immediate medical attention within minutes!  If you go to the ER and don't feel comfortable with the diagnosis they are giving you, ask further questions.  You have the right to understand the tests you are receiving, what the results should be and feel free to ask them, "okay, I have all these symptoms, when do I know when I am supposed to go to ER"..  If you experience anxiety or have been diagnosed with anxiety and your medications you take for anxiety are not helping your chest pain, seek medical attention.  If you have been diagnosed with asthma and your rescue inhalers are not relieving your shortness of breath or chest pain, seek medical attention, etc.  If you have been given Nitroglycerin and after following your doctor's instructions (for example take one every 5 minutes for 15 minutes, not to exceed 3 tablets under tongue) and your symptoms continue, seek medical attention.  Take your life seriously..  Again, don't hesitate to ask for a second opinion.  If may help to go to another ER next time your symptoms return to see if they have any other options or treatments for you.  Remember, only YOU know your body!  Take care everyone!
Chest pain, in my opinion, is one of the worst types of symptoms to have.  It can be caused by SOOOO many different things and often times, people are written off because we are "too young" to be concerned, or we have a "history of anxiety" so it is just anxiety.  I was reading through alot of everyone's symptoms and I am assuming everyone has had recent lab work?  Alot of these symptoms can be due to hypo or hyperthyroidism, hypo or hyperglycemia, or even dehydration, allergies, exposure to different temperatures, pollution, etc................  Please make sure to follow up with doctors on a regular basis, keep your scheduled appts, make sure your lab work is done on a regular basis.  Monitor your blood pressure, keep a diary of your symptoms, what you ate, what you were doing, how you felt, etc..  Pulse rate is also very important and medications taken are important in your diary.  This can be very helpful to your doctor to look through and see the next step in your treatment plan.  Also, even those that do not have "heart problems", there are cardiology groups, or even some primary care groups that offer cardiac rehab or monitored programs where you can go in and there is medical staff monitoring your activity level and teaching you the proper steps as you learn or start a regimen for heart health, activity, etc..  Make sure to consult your physician before starting or increasing any activity when you are having these symptoms, if you have any underlying health problems (high blood pressure, obesity, etc) and you have been sedentary for any length of time.  It is also recommended for those that are "healthy" and over age 35 to consult their physician before starting any regimen.  If you are on medications, follow food and medication interactions, take them as prescribed.  If you are a smoker, stop, if you are on hormones, consult your physician on alternative  methods.  Regardless of your age, keep moving, even stretching, changing positions at your desk at work or on the plane at least every hour and stay hydrated to help in preventing a blood clot.  Okay, time for bed, I do hope this helped someone!  Good luck!
Forgot to mention, I apologize I keep adding to your blog..  The electrical sensations you are describing I have experienced as well..  I went to the chiropractor and needed an adjustment BADLY and also had a massage and have not had those sensations since then (knock on wood).  I have also heard acupressure (such as a pedicure) in certain spots of the body can help with anxiety, panic, sleep, heart and lung ailments, etc..  I am willing to look into anything if anyone has any other suggestions.  The library and your own research is the best research of all.  I do alot of "teaching" to my doctors.  All I want to do is avoid my problems from happening to anyone else just because we are "too young" or "its just anxiety"..
i was wondering can a heart attack linger for days i have mild chest pain that sometimes wraps from my back to the front not really chest more like in middle below chest can feel pain in throat i do suffer from bad heartburn alot any ideas
Hi i was wondering if any of your problems have been resolved?  If so how?

You R Not By YourSelf I Have The Same Problem Chest Pain On The Left Side And I Been To The ER More Time Than I Can Count Sometimes 2 Times In One Night But I Get The Same Thang EveryTime Its Not Your Heart I Have Had More EKG Than I Can Count Lots Of Blood Work Alway The Same Not Your Heart And I Thank God Everytime The Doctor Tell Me That But They Say I Have Musculoskeletal Pain Cause Yes I To Have A Weight Problem Im 6 Feet 4 Inch And 425 Pounds I Started Working Out And Eatin Lest Calories And I Must Say The Weight Is Fulling Off Fast But I Cant Shake The Chest Pain But Just To let U Know U not The Only One Going Throw This Chest Pain So I Hope The Best For U And Your Family
Hi John:
I am mild smoker of 20 years (4-5 ciggs/ day) and occasional heavy drinker. I am 40, male. Do my TMT and blood tests for past 8 or so years, all come clean. I exercise and am training for marathon, and have been active for all of my life.
Did you have any symptoms? Did you do a Tread Mill Test?
I had several instances of chest pain, and all were "muscular" or "acid" after EKG and other tests. Wondering if I should go for a CT, just in case. Maybe doing a CT once every three years seems a good idea, despite what docs say.
From what I have read, it seems to me that you could be suffering from unstable angina which is intermittent and rarely presents itself when tests are being performed. With stable angina, you expect a persons symptoms to increase with activity due to restrictions in blood flow. With unstable angina, the arteries, well usually one, goes into a spasm, like it has cramp, restricting blood flow. Episodes can last from seconds to much longer and there is no real successful treatment. In some patients, taking nitro forces the artery back open and keeps it there until the next attack. Maybe ask your cardiologist if he/she thinks this could be the problem. Some people have tests for years until this problem is discovered. Most, but not all, unstable angina sufferers have the discomforts more in the morning and through the day the episodes lessen.
I know with my issues i feel best in the morning and worst in the afternoon..They can happen at almost anytime, short of strenuous activity or if im doing busy work (mind completely distracted).  All my pains are very localized and i have 0 SOB.  Had Treadmill test, Calcuim scoreing (0), echo (normal), Corotid doppler (normal), CT angiogram (normal), countless EKG's (all normal), probably 10 gallons of blood drawn (LOL), EGD (esophogitis), Ct of abdomen (diverticulitis the one without infection), MRI of c-spine( a few bulging disks 1 small lesion in c5 disk and narrowing of the canal), Many ER trips (for chest pain and nothing found),  

I have lots of abdomen pains, sharp pains in arms, legs, neck, jaw, hands, fingers, feet,  LOTS OF PAIN IN LOWER, Upper, and Mid-back, (sometimes off centerline to left or righ), shoulders (pains in left side of chest and left arm when i shrug my shoulders or when i stretch my arms over my head).  I really wish i could mentally get over the fackt hat this is not heart realated( well atleast thats  what all the tests have said.  

Im sure i missed something.  I will post if i remember anything.
For over a year my GP was prescribing Gaviscon due to his strong belief my throat discomfort and chest pains were Stomach related. I had no shortness of breath at that time even when I was working in the building trade. Then, the time came when I had a heart attack and this astonished everyone, including my GP. Not all heart problems give classic signs for Doctors to pick up on. In that year, I had several ECGs which were all normal and my chest xrays were spot on. An echocardiogram revealed nothing because my valves and chambers were in great shape. Troponin levels were normal too, it was only when I had a heart attack that they rose sufficiently to give the game away.
I am not unique in my experiences and I think you are wise to try and eliminate the heart as being the problem.  Since dealing with Cardiologists, I have realised something very important and I think it may help if you think the same way. "You have one chance in life and this is it. Nobody cares about you more than you do. Nobody knows your body more than you do. Doctors are human and can/do make misjudgements and many are being sued all over the world all the time. You are entitled to your life as much as any other human being and so you need to ensure this remains an option."
When you speak to cardiologists etc, don't be intimidated, they are human just like you and I, if you doubt something or want to question them, tell them. Even if it turns out to be nothing to do with your heart, you will have peace of mind and be able to relax and get on with life. It's so easy to be told its 'probably nothing' but when our body tells us otherwise, that isnt good enough. Please pursue the possibility of your heart being the problem because you will not enjoy life until you get the answers.
Thanks ed,  

I have noticed that usually most of my pains are related to body position.  For example slouched over in front of the computer or bending over, twisting my torso ect.  If i move back into a normail positon the pains dissapear.  Touching my chest with my chin i will get neck, back, chest and left arm pain.  When i go back to normal position pains are gone.  My hands hurt when i make a fist.  Or when i grab onto something.  I have been a Aircraft Mechanic all of my adult live and spent 12 1/2 yrs active duty Army. It doenst really sound like a tough job but it involves LOTS of climbing, strange body positions ect.  That really took a toll on my body overall.  I have had back pain for many years.  So this is really where i think alot of my pains come from.  

I really dont know which route to take.  This has been going on for about 8 months now.  Anxiety, esophogitis, costocongritis, bronchitis and my back problems are what the docs have said.  I have seen 2 cardiologists, 5 Gp's, GI Doc, many ER docs.  Recently have been going to chiropractor and have noticed some improvements.  and also went to Physical Therapy for about 2 months.  Had ultra sound of all my organs

Wouldnt the CT agiogram pretty much eliminate any concerns for me?  Along with the Calcium Screening Score of 0?  

Oh, i am 32 years old, no drinking smoke about 5 cigs a day,  Cholestorol levels are good even by a Cardiologist stand point.  Eat fairly healthy, and i am pretty active.

I know that my symtoms (symptoms) are not classic sighns but at some point shouldnt i believe the tests performed.  I understand about false positive tests and EKGs arent really that accurate.  Just wanted to add that i have had been in pain during every er trip, during treadmill test, and all other heart tests performed.  
One more thing to mention,  The only time i have not noticed pain is when i am sleeping.  Never once have been woken up with pain. I usually only get 5-8 hrs sleep a night.  I am on 50mg Toporol XL for anxiety, Nexium, Xanax (this one helps with pain the most beleive it or not), and sometimes some Ibuprophen (this helps alot too).  

Thanks Ed.
Toporol is a beta blocker and 50mg is quite a high dosage. This will force your heart not to react to stressful situations and should keep your blood pressure down. Some people do experience wierd pains on beta blockers and maybe your GP is willing to do a control situation, i.e. removing the medication for a few days to see if you improve. If not, you can simply return to them.
From your description of getting discomforts in different  positions and relief if you lean back sounds more like a trapped nerve.
At the beginning of all this i was on Metoprolol 25mg 2x day for two months then switched to Toporol xl 25mg 2x day for one month  then phamicist called my doc and suggested 50mg once a day Toporol XL. Then i switched docs  The second dr i seen 7 months ago questioned this as being a possibiltity as where my pains could be comming from.  But it never went any further than that.  I have been on the same dosage for 5 months.  

It does keep my BP in normal range most of the time.  I moved for a job transfer and i went to see a new doctor and my bp was high.  I knew it would be because it always is when i go to the doc.  But i can leave there and go check it somewhere else and it is in normal range.  

I had to be off the meds when i got my treadmill test done.  I did notice less pains but really didnt think about it much because that was when my ANXIETY WAS IN FULL SWING!!!!!  I walked into the cadiologist office and wow did i get scared!!!!  

It probaly is my back issues.  I do have another MRI in about 2 months to look at the lesion in my spine to make sure it isnt anything cancerous i guess.  They are going to do a full spine mri.  And i did separate my left shoulder 13 years ago.  So that could be another issue.  But i thank you for your time.

Mike
i am 30 now but when i was 24 decided to finally have achild he came out with heart problems and passed away when i was 8 months pregnant . the dr kept asking me any1 in ur family has heart problems i said no cuz i didnt know the whole time i had the heart problem.i didnt find out till i was 29 i started getting chest pain and i told my primary he said to me in these words (ooh liliy u always got something wrong) and that was it . he didnt listen to my heart or nothing send me to xray (nope) he did nothing!!!!! 2 days later i had a heart attack and died for 45 minutes. a month b4 my 30 bday i am in shocked he did this to me i lost feeling right side of my arm and hands what should i do abot wat he did?
Great! Now I'm getting a little more interested or questioning if I should go back in for more tests. They sent me home fine because a blood test They ordered after a Bad EKG showed up said I didn't have a heart attack. I hear the readings can be affected by a voice in the room ect..but thier was none. Could stomache gurgling affect an EKG to say you have a 'contour abnormality consistant with anteroseptal myocardial damage?' i didn't feel anxious at all but they told me it could read like that too? Is that even true? I hear people with good readings following up and with stories and mine came out that they decided needed to go get blood somewhere else just incase had/having heart attack and then would have to go to ER if was the case. I'm still having the pain in left chest but less tightness medicating with ibprofen and or a little asprin and prilosec..and now have a cold sore throat and achey (achy) feet maybe pains in left chest bit worse... but could this and the rest of my good stats and age be overshadowing a possible heart prob. as well? Is this blood test really a thing that tells all? What about the unconfirmed abnormal EKG?
Happened at age 40. Doctor told me same things..nothing to worry about its just stress...take a stay vaction. I think the best thing anyone can do is learn to let go of some worries...that is your wake up call . This is helped greatly but I still feeling the pain now and then. I look for laughter, deep breathing and went cold turkey off of caffeine. I drink 10 glasses of water a day, exercise religious 30 minutes or longer cardio three days a week  and watch less negative tv. These seem to help. Life is too short to