HEART DISEASE
COMMUNITY
Heart palpitations while sitting/lying down
by trixysmom, Feb 04, 2007
I am a 28 yr. old healthy female, 5'3 120lbs. exercise everyday. I've been getting heart palpitations for years. Recently they've been coming more frequently but mostly only when I sit or lay down. I do have an underactive thyroid and yes my levels were way off which can cause them, but why only when I sit or lay down they affect me. Any insight to this...
Member Comments (77)
by CollegeGirl143, Feb 04, 2007
Symptoms that are caused by change it position is usually due to blood pressure or blood volume change, but unfortunatly, theres no way to ever know for sure why you get them at these momenths
by Thepeach, Feb 05, 2007
I have been getting them at night also when I lay down on my back or on either side.  I feel like if I lay on my stomach I am o.k.  I always feel like I want to cough when I get them.  I also get them when I bend over or turn and stretch my chest.  I guess our hearts are just more sensitive than other peoples??  What causes these stupid things?
by anacyde, Feb 05, 2007
I've been told by my doctor that when the heart rate slows, there is simply more time for extra beats to happen.  It could just be a matter of that.  Since I've been here reading the forum tonight, I've had about eight of them, and I'm certainly under no stress, and my heart rate is around 60.

At night when I first lay down, I get a few of them if I am on my left side initially.  Which is no problem, since I read at night and I'm on my right side when doing so.  After about two minutes on my right, I can turn left without issue, so I guess it's just my circulation adapting to a different position.
by Adamant, Feb 14, 2007
yeah, i get them like 30 times a day, but i understand the coughing when it occurs cause i get that 2. why do we fell like coughing??
by sunshine79, Feb 20, 2007
I am 28 years old and for the last month I have been getting palps like crazy,I had an ekg done an echo done and a stress test done, all normal. I do have alot of axiety and I worry to much. Everyday I get the palps more at the evening and it does it like crazy. I pay to much attention to my heart and I feel it does it more. I do take lorazapam .5mg to relax me but sometimes it does not help, like today. I understand the coughing because I use to do it like crazy and now just a little, I think its because its taking your breath away but not sure. I lye on my stomach to because it relaxes me and I don't feel the palps like that. It really is scary to have, but there is nothing wrong with my heart but I still think I am gonna have a heart attack.
by rothsean, Apr 26, 2009
Wow, I thought I was a unique case!   After reading this my mind is more at ease.  

I have had palpitations since I can remember (I remember having some at 10 years old, but only a few times per year).   As I got older they got more frequent.   There have been a few years where I did not get any at all (22-25), not sure why.

I am 32 now and it drives me crazy.  I go a month or two with maybe a total of 3 episodes, then in the last month I have had about 60 episodes lasting about 5 seconds each.

I noticed when I eat a lot or get full that it is bad.  Also, when I stretch or twist my upper body I get them sometimes.  

It is annoying because I worry about it all the time, especially because my job takes me to places like Brazil and Peru, therefore my brain thinks about going to a local hospital there and that scares me.
by backtobaghdad09, Jul 17, 2009
Wow...  Well hopefully this thread hasn't given me a false sense of security but just about all of the comments relate to me in some way.

I'm a healthy 28 year old male, 6'4 200 lbs

I had a physical about 8 months ago and checked out healthy as a horse.

I've noticed a few heart palpitations throughout my life, but never really gave them any thought.  Until recently the last two nights in a row when I layed down on my back I had an episode lasting maybe 2-3 seconds.  Which causes me to immediately sit upright in the bed becuase it scares the hell out of me.

Then it goes away..  if I lay down into the same position (on my back) it happens again.  But if I lay on my side or stomach is goes away.

I realize this is probably a dead thread, but figured I would post anyways.

by dezi911, Jul 27, 2009
Hi, I am a 25 year old.  I suffer with anxiety and panic attack.  I am always paranoid that my heart is beating too fast and I tend to monitor my heart beat on my arm.  I didn't know so many people had the same problem as I have.  Anyways, I had ekg done test came back normal.  Had CBC and other blood work done, all normal.  I have learned to control panic attacks (I don't get them anymore), but anxiety I just can't get rid of.  I get the palpitations when I am laying down or sitting.  Never when I am up and walking, or running.  My family has no history of heart disease (no deaths due to heart disease in my family ever).  One of my brother in law is a doctor and he told me it's 99% due to anxiety in my case.  He told me even he gets it when he works 90 hours straight.  Anyways, I think it's mostly related to stress/anxiety from all the cases I have been reading here.  If you have chest pain, tightness, shortness of breath and numbness, than I'd go check it out with doctor.  Anyways, by controlling anxiety (there are many techniques out there) you can get rid of/minimize these palpitations.  I wish yall all the best.