Heart palpitations while sitting/lying down
I am a 28 yr. old healthy female, 5'3 120lbs. exercise everyday. I've been getting heart palpitations for years. Recently they've been coming more frequently but mostly only when I sit or lay down. I do have an underactive thyroid and yes my levels were way off which can cause them, but why only when I sit or lay down they affect me. Any insight to this...
I have been having palpitations when lying down on my back and left side and sometimes notice it when sitting but in a slight reclined position. I had it checked out about three years ago with a very good physician and he said it was nothing to be concerned about ....just an annoying problem. I was interested to read several people mentioned having a pulsing sensation in their head when having the palpitations. I have this and it seems to be like a "whooshing" sound going just past my right ear. It is similar to a pulse but more irregular....like "whoosh, whoosh........whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" etc. I also have the sensation of needing to cough when having the palpitations. Good to know I am "normal" like the rest of you :-)

To those people on this forum that are really scared and think they may be dying, I wish you all the best. It is not for me to say that you are OK and this is just annoying, not life-threatening.......but I hope you all find peace and acceptance of the condition if it is the same as what I have.
Wow...Im very happy that Im not only one with palps..
But unhappy that we all have to go thru this. Im 29 and I had Svt episodes like 4 times twice while I was pregnant the others when I was sick with fever n chills. The other just by sleeping on my back. I always end up going to ER to get it to go away. The Doctor injects me n my svt goes away. But a few weeks ago I was so tired n stressed out so I fell asleep n woke up to a palp episode that scared the f*** out of me. Went to the er n thy injected me meds and 4 hours later it went away but I had to be.admitted. They monitor me and all was well. The Cardiologist gave me a prescription for Metropolol n I have to check my pulse twice a day..it *****¡ Im a mother of three small kids n it scares me that I might get a heart attack..I blame it on all the stress the surprising news of my fathers death.Well now im stuck sleeping sitting down.
I have been experiencing heart palps on occasion too, but what's bothering me is a little different. I had a really stressful time at the airport a few days ago-- a flight of mien kept getting delayed, then cancelled, and i had to get my bags and sort out a hotel for the night.

when i finally got to bed to lay down and sleep, my heart was thudding at a good 80bpm, and my normal is 65-ish. Does anyone know if this is just stress, or something to be concerned about to do with my heart and handling situations? anyone else experience this before? Thanks.
Hi im 35 yrs old ive read all the comments on this and I havent seen any that are like my case.I have multiple diagnosis yes im young but as ive told so many just bc you look healthy of the outside doesnt mean you are on the inside. in August of 2011 I had a few diagnosis popping up with lungs and heart but as far as my heart I was told to wait and see what happend. Well in April 2012 started having ALOT of palapatations saw a new doctor this time had a TEE aka Transesophageal echocardiogram where they sedate and put a long tube down your throat to take pics of your heart was told I had Mitral valve regurgitation and tricuspid valve regurgitation with pulmonary hypertension. Next had a holter monitor done and was told had many SVT's with rare ventricular cuplets,ST's and plenty of tachycardia episodes. Was tried on at least 4 different meds but always had pretty much the same reaction on them which was couldnt breath even more felt like an elephant sitting on my chest, and bad chest pain so next I had a Nuclear Stress Test done when I first had one done in 2011 it was without the treadmill this time it was with..as they were hooking me up my doc was seeing all that I told him id been feeling palapatations not even 5min into walking on the treadmill I told my doc I couldnt breath my chest was hurting real bad and i had pain running down my left arm Results: Positive for TID aka Transient Ischemic Dilation of the left ventricle with multi-vessel obstructive atherosclerotic coronary artery disease. After still complaining to my doctor bout racing heart beat and all these palapatations that are now happening any time the day but mostly when i lay down or resting and theres NO caffeine intake, I only drink water lol, i dont eat chocolate I cant drink energy drinks. Told my doctor that I cant walk far bc everytime I try I start have real bad shortness of breath and my heart feels like its about to jump out and run away literally lol.. it does this at times while im just sitting at my computer playing a game. anyways long story short they did a heart catheter on 9/7/12 and found no blocked arteries I now have to go to Gainsville on Halloween 2012 for consultation to meet another doctor this time with the electrical part of my heart. for a EPS Study with catheter ablation therapy from what ive read bc im being kept in the dark not sure why and some information has been confirmed ive been told it can take anywhere from 3-5hrs for procedure if not longer going to have a catheter in my groin and my neck (winces) and if they find out what is making my heart misfire they with cook the heart cells. they said they use a game joystick to map out your heart so im a human game lol and then when they cook the heart cells im a human TV dinner lmao..
ooops forgot I get alot of heart palapatations when im at rest and laying down doesnt matter how i lay down...
Yes, i do have the pounding in my left ear. but only when i lay on my right side. That has been happening before the palps.  The palps have been crazy over the past 3 nights.  I am buying into the anxiety being the cause...only because i want to get some sleep.   Lately i have been stressing over the possibility of leaving my children here with no father...all night i could swear that i wouldnt wake up if i went to sleep.  I am glad to hear that this problem is not abnormal.  When i first looked up "palps while laying down"  i read that it could be congestive heart failure....scared the hell outta me.
I am 21 and i have heart palpitations, when i lay down or when i have to do so much in a short amount of time, ive been to the er and they said i was fine. when i have them i am also figity, does any one else have them like that? some times they come outta nowhere, i worry 24/7 i feel like i have anxiety, its on my mind all the time, they started after my son was born 3 years ago.
First, I'm not glad to hear anyone is having these issues. I was terrorized (best word) by out of the blue tachycardia for nearly a year. My heart would just shoot up to 200 beats a minute. These attack hit while I was driving home from work, when I was watching TV, when I was shopping, when I was lying in bed, when I was exercising. I had flushing. I can't count the # of times I was pulled from my car by an ambulance & rushed to the ER... or that I would have my husband or Dr on the phone with me, begging me to pull over as I fought to retain consciousness & reach the nearest ER by GPS.

I had sensations (not during attack) that I couldn't breathe. I had dizzyness. I saw blobs of color & spots. I had ringing in my ears. Intense thirst followed by intense urination. diarrhea after an attack. I was afraid to go out. I was afraid to be alone. Yes, terrorized is the best word to describe it.

I saw every Dr in every specialty imaginable. I was tested for everything imaginable: Diabetes, Hepatology, Opthomology, Brain, Gastroenterology, Neurological, Cardiac, Cancer, Autoimmune, Pulmonary, Endocrine/Hormone, Infectious disease & parasites (I traveled around the world for work). I had OMG, so many tests on my heart including 2 surgeries where probes were fished into my heart through my leg. I didn't have cancer, but I had enough nuclear medicine tests, scans & such done to surely give it to me. I even had a PET scan, Carcinoid test & Scintography done! I had biopsies done of my liver & colon. I even saw 2 different Electrophysiologists & did rounds with Drs at John's Hopkins.  It's a miracle my insurance company didn't drop me.

Everything came up negative. No Dr could come up with an answer. Everyone apologized.

I became an expert at research. I documented & tracked every blood test in a spread sheet looking for trends or common elements. The only thing consistent was that I had signs of anemia (Large RDW), morbidly low vitamin D & high cholesterol. I sometimes had a speckled ANA (related to autoimmune) though I tested negative for every autoimmune disease under the sun. My Dr & I explored the possibility of Anemia. It turned out that I had a high ability to absorb Iron, but that my body wasn't absorbing Iron. I was also not absorbing other nutrients. The Gastroenterologist ruled out absorption issues w/my GI tract, so I went to see a Hematologist. I received Iron transfusions 2xs a week for 2 months & began to feel better. I could breathe at least. I was also given a referral to go to the Mayo Clinic.

Then I thought I would give an Endocrinologist another go. Malabsorption of nutrients like vitamin D and Iron, chronically high cholesterol, ringing in the ears, headaches, weight gain, sensitivity to temperature, dry skin, flushing, tachycardia, exhaustion, hair falling out, disappearing eyebrows & eyelashes, hair growth in all the wrong places... it all pointed to Hypothyroidism even though every Endocrinologist I had seen told me to get lost. This time I looked for patient referrals instead of Dr. referrals. I went through official websites related to Endocrinology. I found a Dr that had nothing but rave reviews & made an appointment. She didn't take insurance, but at this point I didn't care.

I coughed up the $600 for the office visit. It was the best thing I've ever done in my life. She told me that laboratory test ranges for "normal" are not what's "normal" for people. It's like trying to create a pair of blue jeans with a button waist that fits every single person alive. Impossible. She told me that Dr's used to diagnose & treat thyroid issues based on the symptoms & to adjust thyroid hormone amounts based on the alleviation of the symptoms. She told me that I was the next to the worst case she had ever seen. The worst was a woman who was brought in on a stretcher. I had an ultrasound performed on my thyroid to rule out nodules, she had a range of thyroid blood work done to establish my current levels & she started working with me on dosages of Natural pig thyroid (Armor Thyroid).

I can breathe now. I am absorbing nutrients. I only have tachycardia attacks if I skip taking my medicine for over a week. My hair is growing back. My ears aren't ringing. I have more energy. I can't say I'm losing any weight, but to be honest I'm still a little traumatized & afraid to exercise, however I just finished a skiing trip without a problem!

So, tachycardia can be caused by physical issues with the heart. It can be caused by something called POTS. It can be caused by Carcinoids & other cancers. It can be caused by a host of ailments... but if everything tests out negative & you have symptoms of either low thyroid or high thyroid... find an endocrinologist who isn't lazy, who doesn't just blindly look at the "WIDE" range of "Normal" on a lab test & will listen to you. This could be the difference between living a "terrorized" life, and a happy one.
Reading this forum has helped me, I might sleep tonight now as previously I've really been thinking I wasn't going to wake up. Got GP tests in 2 weeks which was feeling a long way off, but now thinking I might be OK till then. I've found deep breaths help. Thanks all
I've had these stupid palps for 3 years now. After I had my daughter and was nursing her 10lb self I became dehydrated, which caused them then. It's important for everyon to know, because I don't see it being posted much, is that these can happen if your body is in caffeine withdrawal, which is why I'm having such a hard time.Being the good Catholic I am I gave up pop for Lent. Now I'm dealing with the palps. I drank so much pop before that now I'm not drinking enough liquid and barely getting caffeine. UHHH! I hate these things. Another night with little sleep.  Oh yeah, so even if you usually drink 3 cans of pop a day and for 3 days you've only had 1 can then you could be having them because of the lack of caffeine. Just thought I'd add that.
coughing throws the heartbeat back into natural rhythm
So glad I found this, was just looking up the local hospital in my new town considering driving myself to ER as have been having these weird flutters (not palpitations) all day, which got worse when I lay down in bed tonight to the point that I had to sit bolt upright & cough when they come on, as it feels like something terrible is going to happen.

To confirm comments above re: Thyroid issues, I have Graves disease and I know these can be caused by that. (am 28yo otherwise-healthy female, Graves diagnosed 4 months ago. Don't smoke/drink coffee/drink much alcohol). I also suffer badly from anxiety & panic attacks for last 6 years (had 2 earlier today). So I KNOW flutters all probably relate to that but still (like everyone above) I have that voice in the back of my head going "but IS IT more serious? ARE YOU going to die?" (shut UP annoying voice), which only make the anxiety/PA's worse.

Was interested to read above re: dehydration, hormone levels & sensitivity relating to heart flutters (I currently have my period and have been crying all day over the littlest things like burnt toast?! Also haven't drunk much water).

For any future readers with hyperthyroid issues: my endocrinologist says stay away from Soy & caffiene, get your mercury levels checked (esp if you eat a lot of tuna/fish or Japanese food), take a probiotic twice a day, and a multivitamin. Also (I haven't done this yet) but she says to use a "grounding sheet" in your bed or under your desk at work, to discharge built-up energy and bring your body back to an equilibrium that it can more easily heal itself.

Also, sounds obvious but yoga or meditation can be big help for anxiety. I'm addicted to iPod meditation tapes to help sleep on bad nights. And even just going to the gym is a good (and healthy) distraction. Also naturopath suggested problems in thyroid may relate to not speaking the things that you need to say / not being heard (she suggests this is why so many women have thyroid problems, coz we internalize so much). Not sure how much I'm into that theory but it's interesting. So - speak your truth!

Am now feeling much more calm, drinking a big glass of water with Magnesium powder in it (to calm nerves and muscles), and will attempt going back to bed with a meditation podcast.

Thanks to everyone above for calming my hypochondria - it's so reassuring to know we're not alone :)
Dehydration, change in blood pressure.
Same as everybody ... freaking out a little when I lay down and I can feel my heart fluttering and missing beats and beating hard.  I have Hypothyroidism and notice that this gets worse when my thyroid is off or when I'm frustrated or worried about stuff.  I had the EKG and even an MRI because it was so severe that I'm just waiting to have a heart attack or something since my father died of heart disease.  I also noticed that a couple of times when driving a length that my heart sometimes palpitates to the point that I wonder if I should pull over so this thread also brought me a lot of "inner peace" :)
FYI: Women, birth control can cause heart palpitations. Any change in hormones can indeed cause this. I was on Depo=Provera and after a year was getting worse and worse heart palpitations. My doctor recommended I get off of it and when I did the heart palpitations went away.
Hi. I'm 20 years old and I been having paps since I was in middle school i  think. Over time as I got older I started to get them more, more son when I lay down then when I'm up and about through out the day but I have noticed them when I'm up and about some times. I'm not in the best shape at all I'm a few pounds over weight and i don't eat right. I been to the Dr and they think I'm playing when I say I have paputations cause they can't fine anything wrong.  They did a EKG and said heart was fine they listened to my
heart and said it sounded great it had a off beat to it but it
didn't seem seriuse. Some times when I get the paputaions I cough witch is weird. I even had to were a heart monitor for 48 hrs.
This is a fabulous forum...I'm 55 years old....male 6-3 225...I've been dealing with off and on "blips" since my early 20's and probably before.  I'm active, former athlete, but I also suffer from anxiety and went through a difficult time with panic attacks in my late 20's.
   I've been though what so many of you have been discussing.  Fear of dying, ER visit, Echo's, stress tests, Holter device, taking my pulse so I can catch a "blip" .  Through it all, no one could give me a  solid answer,  except the tests look good and try not to worry about !
   Recently, I've had an episode of "blips".   That's what brought me to the internet and this forum.  Anxiety seems to be the biggest culprit.  I'm convinced most of us are built with a sensitive system. Meaning, we "feel" our heart beats more than the average person.  I've been told countless times by doctors, that everyone's heart "blips" or resets multiple times during a 24-hour period.  We just "feel" ours.  
    I have found when I cut back on caffeine, alcohol and anxiety triggers, the "blips" tend to lessen.  Also, stay active and stay positive.  Worry, only invites more "blips" !
     It's good to share thoughts and stories, and though I wish no one this type of anxiety, it's good to know we're not alone !  Fight on  !

I am 67 female, and have a server leaky mitral valve. Started having palpitations a five years ago off and on. Wore a monitor for a month the first year they began and nothing happened the whole time I wore it (Of course)  And they went away for about 3 years.  I would notice a few now and then but nothing too speak of.  Then this year in March they started up again and have been with me regularly since. My Cardiologist had me wear a monitor again for a couple of weeks.  Diagnosed with AFIB. due to my Mitral Valve issue.  I have had the Mitral Valve leak since I was 5 years old and have had it monitored every 6 months for the past 10years with no changes showing and have never experienced anything like this.  I have learned to manage.  I  noticed that after I eat certain foods they happen. So changed my diet drastically and have lost 20 lbs in the past 3 months. No coffee :(  or sweets, low sodium and fat.  All good things. But no changes.  The hardest thing is trying to remain calm when they are bad. Anxiety is my enemy.  Because I do have the Mitral Valve issue and will eventually have to have surgery to replace it someday causes my anxiety levels to go through the roof sometimes. Guess my advice for all of us suffering from this is to remain calm at all costs. I will be going to an internal medicine doc at the end of the month to be sure there are no underlying issues until , Natural Calm (magnesium powder), Chamomile Tea, and Alka-Seltzer seem to help me, and most of all prayer and focusing on the Lord Jesus for peace. I pray the same for you.
Really glad I found this thread.

I started having very bad episodes for the last week. They would run from 5-10 seconds and almost leave me breathless. I've been to emergency, doctor, had ECG, bloods... Next they were going to to a Holter Monitor... but I need to pay for that.

Thinking about it over the last few weeks has made me realize I've had this for ages, but never picked up on it. For years when I lie on my back in bed, I'd have very short episode.

Not sure why they have exploded lately, but I've dropped coffee, alcohol, bad eating (not that it was that bad anyway). I'm a regular gym goer and run most nights.

Really glad I found this thread as I've been worrying so much. The doctor did say it wasn't life threatening, but they couldn't tell me what the issue is.

They were also going to put me on beta blockers.
Brilliant thread,
I too have palpitations, very fit 41yrs old, Gym Jones, running, etc. Currently on flecincide 200mg daily for around 6 years, keeping a nice stable rhythm. Last few weeks my palpitations have been getting worse...I am a nervous, anxious person which does not help. I am rather reluctant to have my meds increased.
Definitely, worse in the evenings, following supper, and when sitting.
Following many tests, no underlying reasons have ever been found - I am as sure as I can be that the mind is a most powerful weapon and I/we must use it to our advantage, threads like this can help.
Best wishes all.
S.
I get these too. I get the heart palps when I try to sleep at night, but they keep me up until they slow down I noticed that when I drink coffee in through out the day I get them more frequently. I am 19, 138LBS. My ECG was normal and blood work normal as well. I am glad I know I'm not the only one to get these, although it seems like all of you who get them are older than me. Hopefully I can find something to slow them down or to keep them from happening it gets to be bothersome at night.
It's kind of funny cuz I'm reading this and I seen  a lot of people talk about this and I keep on seeing age 28 I'm 28 I get heart palpitations all the time when I'm on my back I'm getting in right now as  I'm writing this message I do drink more than I should and I have anxiety and stress but I feel  alot of the stuff just in your mind.
Hi everyone,
I ve been reading lots of post here and it has been helpful in shedding some light on what isnt an easy symptom to deal with.
Id like to know if anyone is having a similar issue as I am right now.
Ive been on mediation 7 years for A/Fib, had one small breakthrough 3 years ago which was just increased heart rate and didnt lead to A/Fib, but is a precurser to. I also suffered panic attacks, and take a beta blocker.
After a very stressful year at work and family, I ended up in hospital with A/Fib, 5 days after leaving my job. The heart reverted after 3 hours and I went home exhausted. Cardio said stress and the fact I had missed taking medication in the mornings. Ok I thought yes thats probabaly correct. Since then i have had palpitations every night and feeling a lot of body heat and pounding in my head, for 4 weeks.I have to have a fan on in my room , as it helps to calm down the palpitations. It isnt hot  in the house so It is a catch 22. I get hot  cold and so on! Thyroid tests are normal, but after reading a comment by a member saying he had so many tests and finally was put on bio identical hormones, that maybe this is a clue for me. I am 62, and have suffered heat related issues from menopause. Hot weather is is difficult and my heart rate goes up , so I avoid the heat when I can. I am going back to the Cardio, because I cant keep going with no sleep. I dont think the Arrythmia meds work all that well. Thing is stroke is in  my family , and my Father had one and died of Aortic Aneurysm at 62. By the way I am not thinking this could happen to me because i am 62. My Dad was a heavy smoker and alcoholic and he continued up to his death. I dont drink smoke or have caffiene. I tried Bio Identical hormones many years ago and felt great. I stopped because of the cancer link to natural and synthetic hormone treatment. What to do? Anyone got any comment? I wish you all good health.
Yes I have had this pounding in the head that has just started in the last 4 weeks.
How are you going with it now?
I too am 28. I had one palpitation every few days for years. Now, as if  out of nowhere, I have them all the time! I have them during the day occasionally, but it mostly starts around 5ish. I will literally have them until i fall asleep. Its so scary/annoying! Im always afraid that this palpitation will be my last. I guess i should go to a doctor but i feel as though they always tell you its "all in your head"
I read all the posts since 2007 on here and it is amazing. I have anxiety and depression but it was caused from PTSD. I have the cough with my palpitations like everyone here. Also, like everyone I use to have it once or twice a year now its every night. I did just start a business from ground up that had me working from 10am to 3am. So, my stress level was real high especially since I had to go back many times to fix things that I had already done (so annoying). Anyway, I am very happy I found this page because I am now realizing that starting yoga, meditation and nature walks is the right thing to do (started yesterday). I read you guys talking about increasing water. I am doing that now. Unfortunately, I also back way off of my precious work that I love to lower the stress levels. I will post back to let you guys know if all this made a difference. Lots of love and healing for all of you.
Forgot to mention I am 37 year old female 5'3. Slightly over weight by 15lbs. Palpitation starts when I sit or lay down.
Glad this string is still going I also live like all of the rest of you  47 in very good shape clean bill of health and I thought the doc's were all missing it but I'm not alone Thanks for helping me see it's not just me Thanks to all and be well!
Oh this is amazing!  I too, have read the posts back from 2007 and have noticed the common thread of anxiety.
Ive had palpitations for years but in the last year, they've become more frequent.  For the first time last year, I had a panic attack which scared the hell out of me.  Went to hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack and had all the tests but it came back fine.  Since then, Ive noticed the steady increase in palpitations.   I had a holter monitor in February but they didnt pick anything up.  When I went back to my GP for the results, he performed a mental health check and I was diagnosed with severe anxiety.  He says this is more than likely why Im having increased palpitations.
Ive just noticed that, after two weeks of holidays, Ive returned to work this week and the palpitations have increased after a relatively quiet month or so.
Like others, its when Im lying or sitting.  I can work out at the gym quite hard and not have one episode while pushing the limit but as soon as I stop...BAM!
Im heading to the doctor again in two days and was going to ask for another Holter monitor but Im sure he will insist that I go to see a Counsellor to learn to control my anxiety!  Thats what he suggested last time!
I actually feel better knowing Im not the only one out there.  Good luck to everyone, lets hope we can all learn to relax and maybe slow these damn things down!
Think I will try the meditation and also the walks.  Definitely need to increase the water consumption.  Good luck with everything :)
Hi. I am 23 and I have had an echo stress test and ekg and all is well.they tell me its caffine so I slowed almost to a stop. I say what im haveing is palps but honestly I dont know. I have like half hr episodes. Its like I have my main beat boom boom and then I  have a back griund one every couple of seconds that says boom boom boom real fast over top of my main beat. When I go to the doc it never happens for them to hear. Scares me it all started around my daughter turned 9 months she just turned two. Some times my arm tinglesso I pop an asprin and step outside for fresh air. I get so scared I get short if breath. Help please im to young for this ha.....
Hi sorry to hear your pvc's, I had them for years and made a couple of changes to my every day life. Firstly I started taking fish oil, actually krill oil tablets, one per day, equivalent to five fish oil, krill is stronger. I also only have one coffee per day and one cup of tea, only have one square of dark chocolate each night. I take one echinacea,garlic,zinc and vitamin tablet per day in the morning. I don't eat much in the way of steak or red meat. I am not certain but I was taking prostaide forte for awhile and it has sellenium which I suspect may have cuased pvc's. I also have given up chilli so bottom line is they have stopped completely for over four years now. I hope this information may help you, I am 60 years of age, kind regards Lindsay.
I have these problems too and there is an solution eat less sugar, drink more water, find natural medicine for stress, eat right, exercise regularly, drink less caffeine, don't drink alcohol, eat and drink weed don't smoke it.
Sounds to me like anxiety.  Panic attacks from anxiety often cause symptoms similar to this...it almost feels like youre having a heart attack.  You've got a lot on your plate with a young child, its a stressful time.
It was the shortness of breath and tight chest that used to do my head in.  Ive found that since Ive started talking to a counsellor, my anxiety has lessened and so have my palpitations.  I still get them but certainly not to the extent I was.
Try to relax a little, maybe go and see your doctor for a Mental Health Assessment.  It doesnt take very long and will confirm whether you have anxiety or not and could also lead to a solution.  Try not to panic when the palpitations happen - all that does is bring on other symptoms.  I hope you can find a solution, good luck :)
look up POTS and get a tilt table test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome
I've been suffering from the same symptoms for years. Been getting a little worse as time passes. Not sure what causes them either. Yes, sitting watching a movie will trigger them too. I didnt know why. I have a difficult time getting to sleep also. 3 am sounds about right. Sometimes I can get to sleep right away. ( I thank God for that ) , but that's a rarity. Once in a while I might go for a couple of days without symptoms too, yipee !
I think having something to eat after 5 pm will stimulate the palps. I usually go to bed about 10 pm. Eating a lot will initiate the symptoms also, no matter what hr.
I'm a 66 yr old male.
I wish everyone of us good luck in dealing with ******* symptom.

Superflii,
Irvine, ca
Hi!
I looked up the symptoms of POTS but none of them apply to most of us.  These palpitations just happen, there is no dizziness, headaches, nausea or abdominal discomfort, no sweating or lightheadedness.
I went for a second opinion, and like my regular doctor, this one said they are in complete agreement with the original diagnonis.  Nothing to worry about..its just one of those things and is probably my anxiety.
I dont like it though. I want a proper answer.  Seems I should go for a 3rd opinion and just keep going until someone does something about it.
Thanks for the link though :)
Wow!  Like many of you, I feel relieved to hear that I also am not the only one with these palpitations that won't go away.  However, it sounds that I should nonetheless go to a hospital to check out and rule anything out in what it may be or what is causing my palpitations.  

I'm 37 and soon to be 38, 5'5 and 200lbs or more.  I initially had these palpitations while I was studying for my MA in TESOL in 2013 and they would last all day for weeks on end and then when I finished my MA, they eventually went away.   I was looking for a new job and once my previous contract was going to end soon and I didn't have a job yet, and having to think whether I needed to move to another city or not or did I have to move to another country for a job....palpitations came back non-stop again.  

The palpitations are bad when I wear things that are a little tight or when I'm sitting or when I lie down, however I'm able to sleep.  

When I read it may be possible these are 'anxiety or panic attacks' suddenly....my palpitations stopped!  I just never considered it may have been an attack from anxiety or even from panic.  I even notice when I pray to Christ Jesus or when I talk to people, the palpitations calm down or goes away completely.  I never considered anxiety or panic attacks because I don't feel I have a lot of stress, but....now I wonder maybe my mind doesn't think so but my body perhaps does.  Does that make any sense?

Thank you so much for everyone posting on here, I do feel great relief so many others in the same position as I am, even when they are already so healthy or much healthier than I am!  Crazy!  

At first I thought perhaps I just wasn't active enough, as I dislike sweating and exercise.  But even when I did a lot of stairs and walking, I still had palpitations, but then it might have been the heavy food I ate over a meal that day, too.  

I'll for sure cut caffeine and heavy foods and change my health and perhaps even foster a small dog to help me go outside for lots of exercise.  

But there seems to be a lot of tests I could get...any suggestions on which I should get done?  
I'm 40 yrs old 6'4', 260 lbs, and have had three-day episodes of palps about twice a year for the last four years.  It always came on with stress and went away in about three days.

This year, I had a prolonged (6 month) period of different stressors and the palps hit me bad.  I do believe it was the prolonged stress that caused problems.

I had always drank a few beers on the weekends and one or two cups of coffee every day.  I'm in fairly good shape, but do have an elevated blood pressure and take medication for that.

When I saw my doctor for the palps, about seven months ago, nothing showed up on EKG, a stress test, and a 24 hour EKG.  I had ten straight days of palps, which then turned into about 40-50 PAC's per day.  My doctor's advice was to stop all alcohol and caffeine.  I did that.

Having stopped all alcohol and caffeine, I continued to stress myself out over that idea that what I was experiencing was something more than what it is.  My doctor prescribed Atenolol (beta blocker) and the symptoms almost disappeared for three-four days, then would return.  He'd prescribe a larger dose, they'd disappear for a few days, then return.  Repeat.

I read somewhere that someone's doctor recommended Benadryl.  The next episode of PAC's I gave it a try.  Bingo.  It worked!  I told my doctor.  He told me that was not an efficient way of dealing with anxiety.  I think that was my breakthrough.  From that point on I realized my doctor truly believed there was nothing wrong with my heart.  He signed me up for an anxiety class where I learned my palps were actually a secondary condition to the anxiety.  My mind had convinced my body to engage in fight or flee mode.  Once I understood the symptoms, I am 95% better.

I still get an occasional palp sleeping on my side at night and if I've had one too many beers on the weekend without hydrating.  

I think the best way to deal with our situations is to control our minds.  I believe the main culprit is fear.  It should never have taken me 6+ months to beat this thing.  For others it seem like it's taking longer.  The best advice I can give is to look back on your worst episi\ode of palps and realize that you lived through it.  I suppose it took me six months to come to terms that my palps were just an annoying glitch.  Hopefully you can realize that a lot sooner than me.
Benadryl? Maybe I shoukd try that, this is driving me crazy and it been over a week already. Im scared
I am 52 now and overweight by 100lbs.  I too started suffering when I got out of college and went to work as a straight commission salesperson when I was 25.  At my age, I invented panic attacks and heart palps!  For 2 years I thought I was dying and with no late night help, I would usually go running out of my apartment in my underwear when they would start.  Did the beta blockers and the evil Xanax, which I finally got off both.  Then depression set in, which I finally got to the right medicine for me, Effexor/Venalfaxine, an evil drug that once you start is freaking impossible to get off of, but it is evident that all of us have a chemical imbalance in our brain that causes these symptoms, so get help.  Here is the bottom-line for survival.  You will always have palps, but as you age, you stop reacting to them because they become normal and you know that is part of your physiology.  You could get ablation and eliminate the excess pathways, but I chose not to.  Personally, my relationship with the Lord is extremely important to me as well, priceless, because I know that when it is my time to die, I will die, but if not, nothing on this earth will remove me.  Lastly, stay away from the worst irritants there are caffeine (any stimulants) and sugar.  

My hope is that you find relief in this message.  Your body was designed by our creator and trust me, it is extremely complex, but very, very resilient.  Always check with your doctor and make sure it isn't something more serious, because occasionally it is, but the majority of the time, it is something minute or your body adjusting itself to something that you either put in it or stress being put on you physically or mentally.    
Thank you everyone for opening up. I know it's not easy. As like everyone else, I am afflicted with palpitations, flutters, whatever you want to call them. I have experienced them off and on for many years. When I first told my doctor, he tested me for asthma. It wasn't asthma. The palpitations didn't bother me too much, so I just learned to live with them. They were infrequent for probably three decades. However, this morning at 0400 they hit and woke me up. I was unnerved and unable to get back to sleep.

I almost always sleep on either of my sides, so I tried sleeping on my back. That seemed to help a little. Later they became stronger and more frequent. I became more uneasy and asked my husband to drive me to urgent care. There I had an EKG done but was told that everything looked good. Although my Heart rate was 63, my BP was slightly elevated (143/88).

I am 58, overweight by about 25 pounds, have high BP and hypothyroidism (both normal with meds). My husband and I retired and moved a year ago and we are having a new house built. We both joined a gym as we both have gained weight since retirement. I'm guessing that, even though I did not think I was stressed or anxious, my body felt otherwise.

Reading EVERYONES' posts has eased my mind, but I still plan on getting further tests done to rule out anything more serious. Thank you for bearing your souls and helping others. I pray each and every one of you finds your peace in dealing with this irritating condition. God bless you! (For those who don't believe in Him, I will just wish you peace.)
Thanks everyone for sharing their experience with PVC's, getting it out there helps everyone else out there who has the same symptoms. I started having palpitations approx. 1 month ago, I had a MI approx. year and half ago at 53  so first thing that came to my mind was OH NO I am having trouble with my heart, PVC’s started at less frequency and I felt it during exercise Skip or extra beat, then it progressed and on a weekend I had it continuously all night which freaked my out so went to ER. Doctor put me on Atenolol but this beta blocker did not agree with me so I was put on Calcium blocker. It has reduced the PVC’s tremendously but once a while I am getting after eating and while sitting, if I stand up they go away, weird! I also did a lot of research on internet and found a few sites that people were talking about taking Magnesium Taurate so I started to take these couple of days ago, they seem to help but may take some time to accumulate in the body
AGAIN, SO thankful to hear from everyone.  I have had these since my 30's, and I just turned 56.  My first year into  menopause, and they are worse then ever.  Again, had them checked out, and I hear, "Oh these are benign, so many people have this, and don't even know it."  REALLY?  How can they NOT feel that pause??   I also read that when this time of life hits, if you are prone to them, they can get worse! Wonderful!!  I have tried amino acids, and magnesium. Got rid of all caffeine, exercise, not over weight, and try to eat right, most of the time. They are the worst, at rest, watching tv, reading, riding in the car.  But if I am active, keep moving, they are not bad as bad, still there, but rare.  So frustrating!  Just praying for peacefulness. :)
get off a beta blocker and try a calcium channel blocker.  Worked like a charm for me!
Wow, am I glad I looked into this. I though I was imagining it that while on my left side the palps are more vigorous. When on my right they stop. Problem is I sleep on the left side. I wondered if a new drug i started was the cause of this but it sounds like my age is more the problem. 1in 4 will have this at my age. I cant stop worrying about this and in fact I'm crying as I write this. I'm so stressed out. I'm afraid to go to sleep.  But this does help knowing some of these symptons are not my imagination. I'm going to contact my dr in the morning. My mother died at 64 of heart disease and I'm 62 and scared to death!
I have heart palpitations also, I've been to all types of Dr's worn a monitor for 30 days they say they are not dangerous but I'm 37 and I don't know what to do. Maybe it menopause, I pray constantly I'm so afraid to be home alone. Now they are for weeks only slow but never go away like before. Please help. I take atenolol, magnesium and foltx. Plus Xanax .05 for anxiety from the palpation.
I feel for so many of you...I have had this for 12 years now. I would drive myself crazy thinking I was going to die in my sleep. It was hard on me and my wife....she was also terrified that I would die. It just started one day lol I actually remember the date because I haven't been the same since. Like most I feel like I can't get a good breath and sometimes I get dizzy. Lately it's been getting bad again laying down and sitting....I can only hope one day it will go away and I can feel normal again. Reading all these comments makes me feel like I'm not alone with this.
I'm only 15 and the same thing is happening to me I have them constantly through the day alway monitoring my heart.    It will be okay until it happens.  One hard VERY noticeable beat.   Then it just keeps happening throughout the day I can't feel normal I'm constantly worrying and afraid to sleep
Hi everyone.  I've had heart palpatations with all the symptoms of everyone else.  I went to a doctor a little over a year ago and was told it was anxiety, which I thought was strange, because mentally I did not feel anxious.

Over past year the palpations continued, and despite being an active person, my resting heart rate increased.  My cheeks started to become ruddy, and I felt generally worse.  I went to another doctor and had an EKG, pulmonary function test, and a chest x-ray.  

The first two tests came back fine, but the chest x-ray showed emphysema.  My lungs had been affecting my heart.  Other symptoms were also because of the lung problem.  I never had the typical symptoms of emphysema,  such as shortness of breath,  coughing, etc.  It was my heart that was stressing the most.  Since then I feel better by diet changes and focus on breathing.

To someone who might be reading this. I read an article when researching this exact phenomenon. The article  suggested that it could be that the Vegus nerve felt pressure and when it does it sends a signal to the heart to produce more beats. I am a 15 year old girl and have experienced the same thing.  When I try and fall asleep sometimes it's so apparent that I can feel it shaking my chest. The Vegus nerve does this when laying on your back or your left side. I'm not a doctor so don't take my word for it.  But this did seem to be an answer to my problem. Laying on my right side slowed and or stopped it.