Heart Disease Community
Heart palpitations while sitting/lying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I am a 28 yr. old healthy female, 5'3 120lbs. exercise everyday. I've been getting heart palpitations for years. Recently they've been coming more frequently but mostly only when I sit or lay down. I do have an underactive thyroid and yes my levels were way off which can cause them, but why only when I sit or lay down they affect me. Any insight to this...
Symptoms that are caused by change it position is usually due to blood pressure or blood volume change, but unfortunatly, theres no way to ever know for sure why you get them at these momenths
I've been told by my doctor that when the heart rate slows, there is simply more time for extra beats to happen.  It could just be a matter of that.  Since I've been here reading the forum tonight, I've had about eight of them, and I'm certainly under no stress, and my heart rate is around 60.

At night when I first lay down, I get a few of them if I am on my left side initially.  Which is no problem, since I read at night and I'm on my right side when doing so.  After about two minutes on my right, I can turn left without issue, so I guess it's just my circulation adapting to a different position.
I have been getting them at night also when I lay down on my back or on either side.  I feel like if I lay on my stomach I am o.k.  I always feel like I want to cough when I get them.  I also get them when I bend over or turn and stretch my chest.  I guess our hearts are just more sensitive than other peoples??  What causes these stupid things?
yeah, i get them like 30 times a day, but i understand the coughing when it occurs cause i get that 2. why do we fell like coughing??
I am 28 years old and for the last month I have been getting palps like crazy,I had an ekg done an echo done and a stress test done, all normal. I do have alot of axiety and I worry to much. Everyday I get the palps more at the evening and it does it like crazy. I pay to much attention to my heart and I feel it does it more. I do take lorazapam .5mg to relax me but sometimes it does not help, like today. I understand the coughing because I use to do it like crazy and now just a little, I think its because its taking your breath away but not sure. I lye on my stomach to because it relaxes me and I don't feel the palps like that. It really is scary to have, but there is nothing wrong with my heart but I still think I am gonna have a heart attack.
Wow, I thought I was a unique case!   After reading this my mind is more at ease.  

I have had palpitations since I can remember (I remember having some at 10 years old, but only a few times per year).   As I got older they got more frequent.   There have been a few years where I did not get any at all (22-25), not sure why.

I am 32 now and it drives me crazy.  I go a month or two with maybe a total of 3 episodes, then in the last month I have had about 60 episodes lasting about 5 seconds each.

I noticed when I eat a lot or get full that it is bad.  Also, when I stretch or twist my upper body I get them sometimes.  

It is annoying because I worry about it all the time, especially because my job takes me to places like Brazil and Peru, therefore my brain thinks about going to a local hospital there and that scares me.
Wow...  Well hopefully this thread hasn't given me a false sense of security but just about all of the comments relate to me in some way.

I'm a healthy 28 year old male, 6'4 200 lbs

I had a physical about 8 months ago and checked out healthy as a horse.

I've noticed a few heart palpitations throughout my life, but never really gave them any thought.  Until recently the last two nights in a row when I layed down on my back I had an episode lasting maybe 2-3 seconds.  Which causes me to immediately sit upright in the bed becuase it scares the hell out of me.

Then it goes away..  if I lay down into the same position (on my back) it happens again.  But if I lay on my side or stomach is goes away.

I realize this is probably a dead thread, but figured I would post anyways.

Hi, I am a 25 year old.  I suffer with anxiety and panic attack.  I am always paranoid that my heart is beating too fast and I tend to monitor my heart beat on my arm.  I didn't know so many people had the same problem as I have.  Anyways, I had ekg done test came back normal.  Had CBC and other blood work done, all normal.  I have learned to control panic attacks (I don't get them anymore), but anxiety I just can't get rid of.  I get the palpitations when I am laying down or sitting.  Never when I am up and walking, or running.  My family has no history of heart disease (no deaths due to heart disease in my family ever).  One of my brother in law is a doctor and he told me it's 99% due to anxiety in my case.  He told me even he gets it when he works 90 hours straight.  Anyways, I think it's mostly related to stress/anxiety from all the cases I have been reading here.  If you have chest pain, tightness, shortness of breath and numbness, than I'd go check it out with doctor.  Anyways, by controlling anxiety (there are many techniques out there) you can get rid of/minimize these palpitations.  I wish yall all the best.  
I exactly have the symptoms as "backtobaghdad09" described..

I started getting this only from last month (a few weeks before i was about to close a home..) A lot of stress indeed, getting a loan, moving and doing all that thing while my job is not so secure... :)  But it got better after i moved to the new home and started once again after a week may be.. I am sure it is stress... becoz i tested that by thinking something dangerous and it did sure start my palpi.. ( i start giving it a nick name..!) . My character is more of panic type and i am a perfect candidate for BP as my parents had it and my character reaffirms it.. but that does'nt seem to be the problem here. BP is perfectly normal....
still trying to figure it out... ( i went to ER room once fearing a heart attack... remember i told u, i was panic type..:) ) they said, i am healthy as a horse (like some one said above..)  The only thing that surprised me in the ER room was very friendly staff on that day.. usually they are frown faced and stress out people..  whatever i will post after a few weeks to update the status.
I've been stuck to the computer the past 2 days reading these posts. I'm a 40 yr Male, 6'0 185.

This string is a bit older but I found another that goes 14 pages from 2007 till 10 days ago and all saying the same thing.

I had palpitations about a year ago and had an EKG that came back normal. I do have mildly high blood pressure so I do watch my diet and exercise.

Recently I broke my wrist snowboarding and about 3 days later I started noticing the palpitations again, more often and stronger...often when I sit or cross my legs at my desk. I have not noticed it when I lay down. I am not taking any meds and was really getting concerned until I found these threads. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get on BP medication...

Here is the other thread: http://www.************.com/heart_palpitations_with_the_urge_to_cough-t93285-0-asc-100.html
Glad people kept posting on this thread. I turn 29 this month. Exercise hard, 185 lbs and medium to slim build. In my early 20s I first had them bad; was under a lot of stress, emergency room visit, numerous episodes that kept me up all night. Definitely had anxiety and panic attacks.  I came to terms with life, unloaded some stress, dropped caffeine, and have been fine for 5 years. Only having them very very rarely and when I laid on my right side.
Now I'm married and they've exploded into my life again. It got bad enough that it was affecting work so I went in, had a simple EKG and blood test. Took beta blockers for a month, cleaned up my diet (I'd been drinking coffee/tea for a year), and amped up running. I'm off thebeta blockers now but still being plagued with these blasted palps. Lying down is the worst.
I'm not stressed that I know of, but these palps have me extremely pissed off. Now I'm losing sleep over them. I'm not concerned about dying like I was in my early twenties. Just very upset.
Interesting thread. I also had a huge issue with palpitations and SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) that started when I was about 10 years old.I was playing baseball and ran into a player. My heart began racing and stayed that way for almost two hours. I wasn't sure what was going on. Just like most people here have written, I would get palpitations whenever I would lie down or lie on my left side. I would also notice that if I ate too much food or if my stomach was empty, I would get more frequent palpitations. My palpitations would then start this SVT and my heart would beat at 150-200 beats a minute for hours. It would start and stop instantly. I never actually felt bad during these episodes but they did scare me. Eventually in my late 20's I began having panic attacks that were related to my heart issue. I was very conscious of my heartbeat at all times..pretty annoying. I had a procedure called an RF ablation about 10 years ago and that stopped the SVT and my panic attacks. I am also an RN who has practiced in the acute care cardiology field and learned that many people who have frequent palpitation just have very sensitive electrical systems or extra nerve pathways in their hearts and position changes put pressure on different parts of the heart muscle where the nerve systems are and cause the palpitations. Anyway..just thought I'd share my own experiences.
i've had all these symptoms for over 15 years, starting when i was 19.  i'm a female and at the time i was fit, and the problems have not gotten worse with weight gain, they get worse with anxiety.  i had them for 2 weeks straight- constant all day and night.  i'd been to doctors and emergency rooms for it before and been treated like a hypochondriac and told i was fine.  when this episode hit i went back after a week and a half an was told they were going to put me on a 24 hour heart monitor (a holter) but there was no one at the clinic who knew how to put one on so i had to come back the next day.  of course the next morning, knowing i was going to have a test that would give me answers, i had de-stressed enough that i never had one palp during the time i was wearing the heart monitor.  i think i can safely say it's 100% anxiety in my case!
I'm kinda relieved to hear all these people have heart palps.  Not that I like that other people have them, but that I'm not the only one.  I have an appointment next week with a cardiologist to do a halter and a ultrasound of my heart so hopefully everything comes back normal. I'm also pregnant so could this also be a possible cause for my heart palps?
hi iam 42 male and my papitations wont let me sleep does any body have the same pounding in there ears and in the back of the head       please help
Hi everyone,
I too suffer from the palpitation- anxiety cycle. Sometimes it’s bad (10s - 100s) a day and sometimes weeks with nothing. In my case I have had two 24hour halters, EKGs, blood tests and echocardiograms – all normal with a few extra beats shown on the EKG found once. Of course Docs rule not a problem. Which of course they are right. It has just been hard for me to accept as I feel very anxious when it happens and get very fearful.  
I am very sensitive to changes in my body (due to my constant monitoring of my heart) and have learned that this makes it worse. I have had these palps my whole life. Pretty sure they started when I began maturing and all the hormone changes (Im a woman by the way – 23 now). Because I have lived with them for so long and have been fearful of them for so long I have learned a lot of reassuring info from forums like these and I highly recommend those with anxiety read these forums. It really helps to know people are going through similar things. In my case, the hardest thing for me to deal with was not knowing WHY they occur. No doctors have ever been able to tell me to my satisfaction why, but have always told me how to reduce them. Unfortunately, like most of you, I don’t drink caffeine or alcohol; dont do drugs, so not much I can reduce. What I can and have done is learned to control my anxiety which does help, but does not always eliminate the problem.
Palpitations can and do occur for me due to hormone changes, sensitivity to changing blood pressure (sitting down in my case), and anxiety. I also think I just have a hypersensitive electrical system or extra nerve pathways like Paulh192 was talking about. This makes sense as all my senses seem to be hypersensitive. For example, I have extremely acute sense of taste and smell and will react to loud noises uncontrollably (like if someone trying to scare you) even when I know its coming. My flatmates love to come right up next to me and just yell - I always jump EVEN WHEN I KNOW ITS COMING. I think this hypersensitivity just means its likely that my heart is the same way. It will send out a little electrical pulse which will make an extra beat (feels like a skipped beat) and then the heart goes back to norm after a few more strong beats. In a way I feel lucky to know my body is well tuned, but on the other hand this cause palps/anxiety!
Also some of you might find it interesting to know that the vegus nerve (runs right though the middle of your body and basically connects/affects everything) can cause your heart to send off an extra beat if stimulated. This is why splashing cold water on the face of a person in tachycardia can help slow and control the heart rate (vagal reaction to cold stimulus causes it to affect the heart). Vagus nerve reactions aren’t problematic but can be annoying as they can cause palps. Thought this might be interesting for people who are trying to figure out WHY they get palps. The vagus nerve might be why.  For me the biggest causes I believe are hormones and minor vagal stimuluses. So I try to prepare my mind for these and associate them when I get a palp. This helps a lot! Like if Im in a movie theatre I get palps because the loud noise stimulate my vagus and bam - palp! Understanding has helped me a lot with managing my anxiety. Hope some of this helps and is reassuring!
I am responding to an old post, but I am the same as you danib.  I am a 44-year-old female and have experienced occasional palps since 17.  But half way through this year it jumped to a high frequency. I am hypersensitive in general (especially to meds), and cardiologist said I have no underlying heart disease, but I do have pvt's.  tried me out on bystolic to help regulate with disastrous results, nearly lost my life due to the reaction I had.  I do have anxiety and panic at times due to a very traumatic childhood, but stack perimenopause on top of that and I have many episodes per day of palps, especially during pms.  Cardiologist didn't know what else to do other than possible ablation, NO THANKS.  Sent me to ob/gyn for possible hormone issue.  I work out a lot and I am a go-getter type.  this means all this crap I am going through has me deeply frustrated and angry.  It is a fearful thing when the palps don't stop for extended periods.  I can't sleep at night or on left side.  This comes and goes. But, I can't fall asleep till about 4:30 because of the palps.  If I were working right now I would be fired.  Oh, the obgyn said I am likely low in progesterone.  I have tried it, but I am having a paradoxical response; meaning it is having the opposite effect of what it should be upon my nervous system.  I am miserable and need a very serene atmosphere to keep them at bay and even then they don't completely disappear.  Now, I can't drink alcohol (I really miss those gray goose and cranberrys), No more coffee (This one really hurt), no caffeinated drinks.  I am also hypoglycemic which exacerbates the problem.  If I miss getting appropriate sleep, that is another trigger. I want to go back to being 30 again...seems after 40 everything starts seizing up! hmmm....where's my reading glasses? lol.
I am so happy others feel these horrible palps to.i remember getting them when i was a teen but very few times. As i have gotten older i have had them way more than i want to. I'm a 33 year old male that thinks i'm dieing every time i have them. I wish there was an answer to this problem already. By the way, I have also been to the doc and everything is supposedly fine. What gives.
Wow... I am also very happy that I found this.  I no longer feel alone!  I am a 26 yr old female; I have had palpitations/flutters in my heart since I was 16; I have been to so many doctors, in and out of the emergency rooms in fear I'm going into cardiac arrest; I cut caffeine out of my diet 3 years ago and cut back on smoking (1 pack a week).  No matter what I do, I always get them in moments of stress, and in the past month or so, I get them when I'm laying on my sides or on my back while watching TV.  I have a stethescope to hear my heartbeat when I'm having the episodes and i noticed that it sounds like my heart misses a beat, then has one big beat and goes back to normal.  While laying down this can happen to me up to 30 times in 15 minutes.  My heart doctor said that staying hydrated keeps the blood volume in your heart higher and can help.  I do know that if I drink too much wine the night before, I'm dehydrated and the palpitations get pretty bad.  I pray to God that I don't go into cardiac arrest anytime soon and have a wonderful life with my husband and make babies. I hope that God Blesses all of you and keeps you safe and well.
Thanks for all your comments! Nice to know I am not alone. I have had all the usual tests done too--all came back normal. In my 20's, 30's, and 40's, I had one panic attack per decade but have had the night/sleeping palpitations since early 40's.  Trying to reduce my generalized anxiety about life but what has worked for me is to either sleep on a firm (high) pillow or folding my really flat pillow in two and sleeping on it. Then I don't feel or hear the pounding as much and it gets my mind off of it and I can go to sleep. Experiment with it because some pillows have made my neck hurt in the morning.  I haven't talked to anyone about this because it seems so embarassing. But I agree with everyone on this post, that I thought I was dying too! The sensation is just so damn strange.Thanks for sharing, that helps a lot!
I am a 28 year old healthy female. Four years ago I started to get palpitations, I thought it was due to anxiety. It occurred at different times of the day including lying in bed.
I finally made an appointment to see my GP, he listened to my heartbeat and queried a systolic heart murmur. He sent me away for further tests; a EEG and echo. Results from the echo showed a possible hole in the heart but would be confirmed by a final test - a camera put down the throat ( cannot remember the correct name!). This test confirmed a hole in the heart; which was missed at birth. Six months later I had open heart surgery to complete a ASD Closure which was successful. To this day I experience the odd palpitation and wonder whether the op was really the 'best' option.
I feel like Im going to die...i guess it aint the dying part that *****..its the part where i leave my family to moarn that really blows...is there any natural meds or herbal things that I can take? Ive been to the doctor 3 or 4 times..they gave me a few tests and it came back fine. screw it if its time to go its time to go..
I have noticed one thing in common with about90 percent of our comments..i seem to see the word anxious , stress, worry and excerise in alot of post on this forum..could there be a connection.
i got the same problem as u all have but i was aware of my problem due to the facial flushing which occurs while doing any activities ! so it made me to be curious about  any parts of my body and it took me to this point .
i really want to know if palpitation which gets harder when i sit and even worse when i lay down has any relation to my face when it burns .
i'm a 25 yrs old male having researches about 3 yrs on this but haven't find anything useful to this and i'm really fed up with my life . ( i have no hormonal imbalances or hyperthyroidism history )
please tell me if any of you guys , beside palpitations , you also suffer from any feeling of heat or a hot flush on your face ?
i appreciate it .
im a 23 yr old male 5'11 210 lbs. i have always had weird heart palps here and there but starting last night i got back on my asthma meds and now whenever i lay down my hearts just beats weird, kinda like a twitch with an awkward thump. i dont feel bad but i can feel it in my chest and it scares me bad so i cant sleep. my girlfriend listened to my chest and said it sounded like a weird thud then a short pause followed by a louder beat then back to normal. i dont know if i should have anything to worry about or not but i know that i have always had really bad anxiety ever since i became an adult. im always worried something is wrong, especially with my heart, which makes me constantly check my pulse anytime i feel funny. i hope that we are all fine, and that our palps are coming from anxiety, because that seems to be the case after reading these post.
man it's about time I find other people I can relate with!! I was diagnosed with anxiety about 8 years ago, i've been dealing with occasional palpitations from time to time, but recently they have been extremely bad! I have had several tests done, ekg's, holter monitors, stress tests, blood work.. doctor's say i'm fine and just to try to ignore it, but it's a whole lot easier said than done! I have never actually counted how many palpitations I get in a day, but i'm sure it's up in the thousands range.. the weird thing is I never get them when i'm being active.. or even when I exercise. It's usually when I sit down alone, or am home alone, when others are around I don't tend to notice them as much. Not to mention I check my pulse constantly. I do drink caffeine such as coffee and sodas, chocolate.. i'm trying to cut back, I also drink and smoke on occasion, I am wondering if I give all of this up if they will completely subside or if they will continue, either way i'm going to go to my doctor to find out if there's something else I can take.
hello , i have been having mild panic attacks where i get this weird palpitation starts it off and i get scared and my heart starts racing and if i ignore it it goes away that has been for the last 3 yrs..   then recently under alot of stress and anxiety my daughter was diagnosed with a thyroid nodule doctors want to take her thyroid out to se  what it is and i have a very difficult husband and weve been fighting for 15 yrs.. and a few days ago while on lthe computer i started getting this big palpitations that would come constantly i had those for a whole day worse when i lay down  i went to the emergency room did an ekg was fine checked my hear enzmes to rule out i was having a heart attack and they also did blood work on my thyroid but wont know till the follow up visist about the results apparently thyroid problems give palpitations while i was in the er the doctor asked me if i had any big stressors in my life recently and i busted crying telling him about my daughter and me and my husband fight all teh time ( i hate how sensitive my feelings get i dont like to cry in front of people ) but oh well,, but im hoping that theres nothing wrong with my heart and that its just anxiety i just have alot on my plate at this moment..   and i do think that our post have alot in common,,  hint words,,,, anxiety , palpitations,, laying down, while sitting and suddenly standing up  etc... God bless us all and hope that its nothing more than anxiety and fear !!!  but it does feel horrible it puts a pause in your life the taughts race trough your head  specially if you have young children the fear is 1000 times greater what will they do with out you ! it s the most horrible feeling in the world and that just adds to the anxiety its like a circle you cant get out off ,, i read somewhere in the computer that it helps alot to ignore the palpitations and ignoring will help control them,, and that its like a loop whole where you feel a palpitation and you panic your heart starts racing and its a cascade where your whole body gets in panic mode waiting for the next palpitation and all the bad toughts start off a new one...so the best bet is to ignore them see what happens !!
i am 28 female and i have fluttering in my chest. it scareds the crap out of me. i went to the hospital and had blood work done they said everything was find. i still think something is wrong with me. i do stress out alot i am scared that i am going to die any min.  can yll please help me to reasure my self that i am find.
wow i didnt think so many people had the same problem...about a year ago i was in the er with heart rate of 150..it scared the hell outta me..did blood work ekg and chest xray everything was ok...for the past few months i have had mild paps when i wake up in the am...idk what or why this is i was thinking anxiety but y when i wake up....just last nigfht i was in the er with heart aps..again ekg blood work..cant do xray im 3 months pregnant..i have to follow upp with my dr and c a cardiologist.....im just so scared that im gonna dye that i always check my pulse..i have always had a hot flush feel to my face but no paps is that aniexty?
I started having palpitations again after a four year absence (I am a 50 year old male). I agree with the stress that having peps can create i.e. loss of sleep and anxiety. Which of course, leads to more paps. I also can work on my feet all day -13 hours shift as a manager- and not have a single episode. But then I fear going to bed because of having pap’s (which leads to more pap’s). I have done the doctor route too (all normal).Further, I do not fear dying, but as was stated in previous posts; I worry about the future of my family.
I try to reduce my stress level and stopped all caffeine (love the stuff) but still having paps. It does bother the crap out of you. I am glad I am not alone but I do not wish this on anyone.
I am praying for relief.
I get palps when lying down in bed at night or in the evening sitting in the computer chair.  Since I have been Exercising and losing weight I get them more often!  I read somewhere else that taking a deep breath and exhaling several times in a row helps me (increasing oxygen content in blood?) and also tensing every muscle in your body and then relaxing (like a mini orgasm?) also helps me and hope these things help you all here, good luck and have a stress free life!!
I have been getting heart palpitations for a few years now. I am 36 and female. I am healthy and getting fitter. I have notice that i sometimes get them if I have over eaten, sometimes I get them when i lay on my left side and also they get worse when I have taken natural remedies. I think sometimes stress or anxiety plays a part also. Still trying to work it out. thankyou for all these posts as I don't feel like I'm the only one anymore.  I am going to change my thoughts to be positive and accept these palpitations as a part of me and I think once I have accepted them, they will disappear.
Im a 25 yr old female. Im so glad im not alone Im having all the symptoms that many of you are getting, I too have been getting rapid heart rate and palpitations, and feel flushed at times. I have noticed that alcohol and caffeine exasperates it. I just went to the Er  2 days ago while in Vegas for rapid hr and they found that my ekg was abnormal (which scared me even more and made my hr sky rocket to 150) so they did a bunch of tests and found that everything was normal except that my aorta curves off in a weird way and one of arteries goes behind my esophagus, which is diff from everyone else, they said these 2 things should not cause a problem, just different.. Im still super worried and anxious like all of you, I understand what you are going threw and feel your pain, I think a lot of it has to do with stress bc my wedding is coming up in like 2 months, even though I don't feel like I'm stressed.. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions of how to control the anxiety when I feel these weird symptoms?
Reading these forums really help. It's a relief to know there are people out there experiencing the same thing as me. I was born with a heart murmur but it supposedly healed. I have experienced palps since as long as I can remember. I am 26 female and I feel them more than ever. Sometimes I feel like i am going to die when my heart races and I feel so nausiated. I have 2 young children and I don't want to leave them. I have gone to the doctor and she did an EKG and blood work and everything was fine. I have gone to the emergency room and they did the same tests, even an x-ray and They said I am extremely healthy. I am a personal trainer and I eat a very healthy diet. I do triathlon's, I run and I bicycle up mountains. I never experience any problems with my heart when I am doing cardio. It's only when I rest. It is scary. Recently I started to take an herbal supplement called nutri-calm by nature sunshine. It has vitamins, minerals, and hops, valerian root. That has helped significantly. I haven't experienced the palps at all lately. I knew it had to do something with anxiety. I used to hyperventilate easily and my nerves are really bad. I get scared very easily. The nutri calm has helped me with anxiety and stress and overreacting to situations. I guess we may have to live with this forever but at least we can manage it by reducing caffiene and alcohol and taking supplements. I think it's because our body deals with stress differently. Maybe we are the types that hold everything inside and our bodies, including our heart ends up with all the stress and anger? We need to reduce our stress by getting a massage or listening to relaxing music. take 10 deep, deep, deep breaths. That helps. I do know that stressing about the palps is the worse. Take your mind off of it if you can. Love, Tracy
Wow, so many of us!  I always had palpitations, just single blips, but in the last 9 years (I'm 71 now) they have increased.  I was told that I am extra sensitive to caffeine...didn't want to believe, and did have them go away for a few years.  But after a year of one cup of coffee per day with no problem, two months ago I started to have serious palps on lying down that keep me awake, taking about an hour to sleep.  Because of another condition I am up every 2 hr or so (bladder condition), so the nights are pretty much a 'nightmare' these days.  They say heart function is normal,   I have been off caffeine for 3 weeks, and they started to get better untill I had to have antibiotics for a week....back to square one!  But I will stay off the caffeine, and see what happens.  Crossing fingers that it will happen like last time and eventually I can have a cup of coffee again (even decaf affects me).

I really feel for us all, it is a terrible situation that needs research.  Hard to say it is not pathalogical when you can't sleep.
    I must say that I am very surprised to find so many people afflicted with the same condition that I've been dealing with for the past 20 years.  Surprised, happy and sorry.  My heart goes out to everyone on this thread.  As everyone here knows, FEAR is the result of our condition and is what we have to live with on a daily basis. Fear of what might come after the next palpitaion.
   My story:  I'm 39 years old. 6'4'', 255. Healthy, except for high blood pres. which is under control.  I've been dealing with this since I was 19 and been a total head case ever  since.  I have many of the triggers most of you have. After meals, quickly bending over, belching, quickly lying down, sneezing, holding breath, stress, anxiety, etc,.....    And the frequency is never the same, as well as severity.
    Three years ago I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. On my way back to bed I consumed about a quart of ice water. Then went back to bed.  As I laid down on my back the palpitations started and would not stop.  I woke my wife up and told her I thought I might be in trouble and told her to call 911.  When the paramedics showed up, they hooked me up to their EKG.  My heart went into atrial fibrilation.  That turned out to be my first, and hopefully last, ambulance ride to the ER.  So, in the hospital, I laid there wide awake waiting for someone to tell me that I needed emergency open heart surgery.  But that order never came.  Six hours later the A-fib ceased and my heart regained its normal sinus rhythm. After a few crazy tests I was given the thumbs-up.
    It has been explained to me many times how the heart flutters. But not why.  Going through some of these posts and many hours of book/online reading I tend to lean towards sensative electrical paths or just a wild vegus nerve.
    It looks like we're all in the same boat together.  Lets try not to stress so much over this anymore.  Its the fear that hurts.   Peace on everyone and everyone's minds.

Thank you for posting your comment. I'm a 34 year old female and have had heart palpitations in the past, but over the past 2 weeks I'm having them more often. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting down or doing any physical activity, they just start. I have had blood work done, and an EKG done and of course everything comes back negative, yet I'm still experiencing these palpitations. I'm thinking mine may have to do with stress or anxiety, but I don't feel stressed or anxious, but I guess my body is telling me otherwise. I just wish they would stop and I could move on with my life without having to worry about them. The first thing that comes to mind is having a stroke if these palpitations continue. I'm glad there is a forum like this to post concerns. I could sure use the reassurance..... :)
I'm SO glad I found this thread. A little background, I'm 28 years old, healthy female. The first time I experienced heart palpitation was about 2 years ago. I started off getting those "thump" feeling, I brushed it off, then as I paid more attention to it, it felt like a flutter, skipped beat, etc. I started to feel my pulse as I am getting those palps, sometimes it's the strong beat after a regular, sometimes it's an extra beat. Something like a faint beat after a normal beat. God, it's hard to explain but you guys know what I'm talking about. IT IS SO ANNOYING!!! It used to scared the crap out of me, now I'm pretty much used to them. It ***** big time but what can I do right? Gotta learn to live with it. Ugh! I normally get them after I stretch, let's say like standing up after sitting for awhile, or even stretching sitting down, seems to me is whenever I stretch out my chest. I also get them randomly throughout the day. I'm to the point where I do not mind getting them during the day, but I sometimes get them at night when I'm asleep and it would wake me up, that's the worst! There will be days where I don't get any episode at all, where other times I would get multiple a day. It still scares me because it is my heart after all. My doctor kept reassuring me that it is normal and a lot of people out there suffers from those palps. I do have anxiety along with a bit of depression so whenever I get them, my anxiety is through the roof. I pray to god one day, we will be palp free because they bring nothing but unnecessary worries. Happy 2012 everyone!
I'm 44, 8 months ago I had an atrial fibrillation episode which resulted in me being taken to ER by ambulance. EKG proved AFIB.  Had many tests and follow up tests, EKG, Echocariogram, stress test, holter monitor.  Everything proved normal.   Had a few episodes through out the year.  Lately I have been having skipped heart beats. (as proved by listening with stethoscope)  For some reason laying down on couch or bed with legs crossed seems to bring them on more so.  I try not to cross legs.  I have read to try taking Omega 3 or Fish Oil pills can help. Also, consumption of bananas for potassium can help.  Good luck.
  I agree 100% with stress and anxiety as being some of the factors that may cause our palps. I've noticed that with a rush of a adrenaline the heart starts to do some crazy things. Also, too much caffeine and alcohol consumption. Not so much the alcohol causing them immediately, it's the morning after that I've notice them more often.
  As far as having a stroke, it's my understanding that having palps will not cause them. Now, if your palps kick your heart into atrial fibrilation for an "X" amount of time, then it's possible to form a clot in the heart and "throw" it somewhere in the body.
  Hope my ramblings help ease the worry you feel. Talking (posting) helps.
Count me as one of the many pulse checkers here. I'm sitting here at the computer after eating a subway and my heart keeps skipping. It seems being full has something to do wtih it. Stress and anxiety definitely. I'm 42, a bit overweight on BP medication. It seems how I sit and lay definitely affects the palps. Not fun at all. But now it's gotten so bad that if I am in a situation where my adrenaline starts to pump, I get the palps really bad and then I feed the palps with fear and anxiety, thinking I'm dying and need a defibrillator due to what I believe is an irregular heartbeat. It's happened twice since this last Christmas. BOOM BOOM BOOM SKIP BOOM SKIP SKIP BOOM BOOM BOOM SKIP BOOM SKIP....etc. Really scary. Once I asked my brother to check my pulse to see if we had an emergency on our hands, they went away, thank god. But yes, I've had about 20 palps while typing this. I stand up and they go away. ***** being a palper.
Wow,although it sounds abit harsh,its comforting to know other ppl get palps too! Im 25 5ft11. Ive got a cean diet and train both cardio and weights twice weekly.
I get about 7 palps per week,mainly when im tired and or resting in bed.
I also get a pulse or a light tapping sensation at top of my chest which feels almost like a seperate heartbeat...weird eh. Ive been to cardiolagist,where I had an ecg. He wants to do an anjiogram to be thorough. he going to look for a suspected extra pathway in heart. This sound familiar to any1? Thanx.
h! there.. im  julz   24 years of age .. 4 da past few days my heart bits faster than a regular rate  of heartbit ,but then i dont know wat to do and it scares me ,den i ask my frend about my prob.  she said i have 2 go to doctor in have an ecg .. so eventualy i had an ecg and i'll check my result later.. i'll also experience some dizziness and shortness of breathing . ..
i'll go to doctor and ask about my problem ..
hope it will not to  dangerous
Hi all,
Nice to read all your stories, thanks for sharing. We're all in the same boat!
I'm a healthy 36-yo male, 150lbs, 5'11". Probably drink a little too much alcohol, and too much caffeine (though I haven't had any caffeine in the past week and am feeling great). I have mild anxiety and depression, nothing to write home about though.
I get an occasional flutter/palp when I lie down right after running up the stairs, stretching, sex, etc. I figured it was because of low BP. My BP makes some nurses say "wow." But then when I ask, they say it's nothing of concern, just on the very low end of healthy.
(The sex one recently was scary.. you hear about guys who die of a heart attack during sex.. like Richard Pryor's dad, who, as he joked, "didn't know if he was coming or going!")
Anyway, sitting up and breathing deeply always takes care of it. I'm also trying to drink more water and less alcohol, to stay hydrated and keep my BP in normal range.

A couple of checkups ago, I mentioned the flutter/palp thing to my doc, and she ordered an EKG. The EKG showed that I have a (left or right -- I forget which) BBB (bundle branch block), which is an abnormality in the electrical pathways in the heart. Electrical pulses here tell the left and right sides of the heart when to beat, and if the left or right branch is blocked, it just detours elsewhere in the heart, making that path a little longer.. thus the left and right sides don't beat at exactly the same time like they should.
Long story short, the doc said it's probably no big deal, but let's do an echocardiogram (ultrasound) to check for any underlying structural abnormalities. They did that, and couldn't find anything.
So.. here I am with all of you, and as others have said... the best we can do is try not to worry about it. Anxiety *****, but seeing a psychologist/therapist has helped me a lot, and I recommend it to everyone! Any decent insurance plan covers most of it.
Also, meditation. <<< give it a try.  ;)
I have been having palpitations when lying down on my back and left side and sometimes notice it when sitting but in a slight reclined position. I had it checked out about three years ago with a very good physician and he said it was nothing to be concerned about ....just an annoying problem. I was interested to read several people mentioned having a pulsing sensation in their head when having the palpitations. I have this and it seems to be like a "whooshing" sound going just past my right ear. It is similar to a pulse but more irregular....like "whoosh, whoosh........whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" etc. I also have the sensation of needing to cough when having the palpitations. Good to know I am "normal" like the rest of you :-)

To those people on this forum that are really scared and think they may be dying, I wish you all the best. It is not for me to say that you are OK and this is just annoying, not life-threatening.......but I hope you all find peace and acceptance of the condition if it is the same as what I have.
Wow...Im very happy that Im not only one with palps..
But unhappy that we all have to go thru this. Im 29 and I had Svt episodes like 4 times twice while I was pregnant the others when I was sick with fever n chills. The other just by sleeping on my back. I always end up going to ER to get it to go away. The Doctor injects me n my svt goes away. But a few weeks ago I was so tired n stressed out so I fell asleep n woke up to a palp episode that scared the f*** out of me. Went to the er n thy injected me meds and 4 hours later it went away but I had to be.admitted. They monitor me and all was well. The Cardiologist gave me a prescription for Metropolol n I have to check my pulse twice a day..it *****¡ Im a mother of three small kids n it scares me that I might get a heart attack..I blame it on all the stress the surprising news of my fathers death.Well now im stuck sleeping sitting down.
I have been experiencing heart palps on occasion too, but what's bothering me is a little different. I had a really stressful time at the airport a few days ago-- a flight of mien kept getting delayed, then cancelled, and i had to get my bags and sort out a hotel for the night.

when i finally got to bed to lay down and sleep, my heart was thudding at a good 80bpm, and my normal is 65-ish. Does anyone know if this is just stress, or something to be concerned about to do with my heart and handling situations? anyone else experience this before? Thanks.
Hi im 35 yrs old ive read all the comments on this and I havent seen any that are like my case.I have multiple diagnosis yes im young but as ive told so many just bc you look healthy of the outside doesnt mean you are on the inside. in August of 2011 I had a few diagnosis popping up with lungs and heart but as far as my heart I was told to wait and see what happend. Well in April 2012 started having ALOT of palapatations saw a new doctor this time had a TEE aka Transesophageal echocardiogram where they sedate and put a long tube down your throat to take pics of your heart was told I had Mitral valve regurgitation and tricuspid valve regurgitation with pulmonary hypertension. Next had a holter monitor done and was told had many SVT's with rare ventricular cuplets,ST's and plenty of tachycardia episodes. Was tried on at least 4 different meds but always had pretty much the same reaction on them which was couldnt breath even more felt like an elephant sitting on my chest, and bad chest pain so next I had a Nuclear Stress Test done when I first had one done in 2011 it was without the treadmill this time it was with..as they were hooking me up my doc was seeing all that I told him id been feeling palapatations not even 5min into walking on the treadmill I told my doc I couldnt breath my chest was hurting real bad and i had pain running down my left arm Results: Positive for TID aka Transient Ischemic Dilation of the left ventricle with multi-vessel obstructive atherosclerotic coronary artery disease. After still complaining to my doctor bout racing heart beat and all these palapatations that are now happening any time the day but mostly when i lay down or resting and theres NO caffeine intake, I only drink water lol, i dont eat chocolate I cant drink energy drinks. Told my doctor that I cant walk far bc everytime I try I start have real bad shortness of breath and my heart feels like its about to jump out and run away literally lol.. it does this at times while im just sitting at my computer playing a game. anyways long story short they did a heart catheter on 9/7/12 and found no blocked arteries I now have to go to Gainsville on Halloween 2012 for consultation to meet another doctor this time with the electrical part of my heart. for a EPS Study with catheter ablation therapy from what ive read bc im being kept in the dark not sure why and some information has been confirmed ive been told it can take anywhere from 3-5hrs for procedure if not longer going to have a catheter in my groin and my neck (winces) and if they find out what is making my heart misfire they with cook the heart cells. they said they use a game joystick to map out your heart so im a human game lol and then when they cook the heart cells im a human TV dinner lmao..
ooops forgot I get alot of heart palapatations when im at rest and laying down doesnt matter how i lay down...
Yes, i do have the pounding in my left ear. but only when i lay on my right side. That has been happening before the palps.  The palps have been crazy over the past 3 nights.  I am buying into the anxiety being the cause...only because i want to get some sleep.   Lately i have been stressing over the possibility of leaving my children here with no father...all night i could swear that i wouldnt wake up if i went to sleep.  I am glad to hear that this problem is not abnormal.  When i first looked up "palps while laying down"  i read that it could be congestive heart failure....scared the hell outta me.
I am 21 and i have heart palpitations, when i lay down or when i have to do so much in a short amount of time, ive been to the er and they said i was fine. when i have them i am also figity, does any one else have them like that? some times they come outta nowhere, i worry 24/7 i feel like i have anxiety, its on my mind all the time, they started after my son was born 3 years ago.
First, I'm not glad to hear anyone is having these issues. I was terrorized (best word) by out of the blue tachycardia for nearly a year. My heart would just shoot up to 200 beats a minute. These attack hit while I was driving home from work, when I was watching TV, when I was shopping, when I was lying in bed, when I was exercising. I had flushing. I can't count the # of times I was pulled from my car by an ambulance & rushed to the ER... or that I would have my husband or Dr on the phone with me, begging me to pull over as I fought to retain consciousness & reach the nearest ER by GPS.

I had sensations (not during attack) that I couldn't breathe. I had dizzyness. I saw blobs of color & spots. I had ringing in my ears. Intense thirst followed by intense urination. diarrhea after an attack. I was afraid to go out. I was afraid to be alone. Yes, terrorized is the best word to describe it.

I saw every Dr in every specialty imaginable. I was tested for everything imaginable: Diabetes, Hepatology, Opthomology, Brain, Gastroenterology, Neurological, Cardiac, Cancer, Autoimmune, Pulmonary, Endocrine/Hormone, Infectious disease & parasites (I traveled around the world for work). I had OMG, so many tests on my heart including 2 surgeries where probes were fished into my heart through my leg. I didn't have cancer, but I had enough nuclear medicine tests, scans & such done to surely give it to me. I even had a PET scan, Carcinoid test & Scintography done! I had biopsies done of my liver & colon. I even saw 2 different Electrophysiologists & did rounds with Drs at John's Hopkins.  It's a miracle my insurance company didn't drop me.

Everything came up negative. No Dr could come up with an answer. Everyone apologized.

I became an expert at research. I documented & tracked every blood test in a spread sheet looking for trends or common elements. The only thing consistent was that I had signs of anemia (Large RDW), morbidly low vitamin D & high cholesterol. I sometimes had a speckled ANA (related to autoimmune) though I tested negative for every autoimmune disease under the sun. My Dr & I explored the possibility of Anemia. It turned out that I had a high ability to absorb Iron, but that my body wasn't absorbing Iron. I was also not absorbing other nutrients. The Gastroenterologist ruled out absorption issues w/my GI tract, so I went to see a Hematologist. I received Iron transfusions 2xs a week for 2 months & began to feel better. I could breathe at least. I was also given a referral to go to the Mayo Clinic.

Then I thought I would give an Endocrinologist another go. Malabsorption of nutrients like vitamin D and Iron, chronically high cholesterol, ringing in the ears, headaches, weight gain, sensitivity to temperature, dry skin, flushing, tachycardia, exhaustion, hair falling out, disappearing eyebrows & eyelashes, hair growth in all the wrong places... it all pointed to Hypothyroidism even though every Endocrinologist I had seen told me to get lost. This time I looked for patient referrals instead of Dr. referrals. I went through official websites related to Endocrinology. I found a Dr that had nothing but rave reviews & made an appointment. She didn't take insurance, but at this point I didn't care.

I coughed up the $600 for the office visit. It was the best thing I've ever done in my life. She told me that laboratory test ranges for "normal" are not what's "normal" for people. It's like trying to create a pair of blue jeans with a button waist that fits every single person alive. Impossible. She told me that Dr's used to diagnose & treat thyroid issues based on the symptoms & to adjust thyroid hormone amounts based on the alleviation of the symptoms. She told me that I was the next to the worst case she had ever seen. The worst was a woman who was brought in on a stretcher. I had an ultrasound performed on my thyroid to rule out nodules, she had a range of thyroid blood work done to establish my current levels & she started working with me on dosages of Natural pig thyroid (Armor Thyroid).

I can breathe now. I am absorbing nutrients. I only have tachycardia attacks if I skip taking my medicine for over a week. My hair is growing back. My ears aren't ringing. I have more energy. I can't say I'm losing any weight, but to be honest I'm still a little traumatized & afraid to exercise, however I just finished a skiing trip without a problem!

So, tachycardia can be caused by physical issues with the heart. It can be caused by something called POTS. It can be caused by Carcinoids & other cancers. It can be caused by a host of ailments... but if everything tests out negative & you have symptoms of either low thyroid or high thyroid... find an endocrinologist who isn't lazy, who doesn't just blindly look at the "WIDE" range of "Normal" on a lab test & will listen to you. This could be the difference between living a "terrorized" life, and a happy one.
Reading this forum has helped me, I might sleep tonight now as previously I've really been thinking I wasn't going to wake up. Got GP tests in 2 weeks which was feeling a long way off, but now thinking I might be OK till then. I've found deep breaths help. Thanks all
I've had these stupid palps for 3 years now. After I had my daughter and was nursing her 10lb self I became dehydrated, which caused them then. It's important for everyon to know, because I don't see it being posted much, is that these can happen if your body is in caffeine withdrawal, which is why I'm having such a hard time.Being the good Catholic I am I gave up pop for Lent. Now I'm dealing with the palps. I drank so much pop before that now I'm not drinking enough liquid and barely getting caffeine. UHHH! I hate these things. Another night with little sleep.  Oh yeah, so even if you usually drink 3 cans of pop a day and for 3 days you've only had 1 can then you could be having them because of the lack of caffeine. Just thought I'd add that.
coughing throws the heartbeat back into natural rhythm
So glad I found this, was just looking up the local hospital in my new town considering driving myself to ER as have been having these weird flutters (not palpitations) all day, which got worse when I lay down in bed tonight to the point that I had to sit bolt upright & cough when they come on, as it feels like something terrible is going to happen.

To confirm comments above re: Thyroid issues, I have Graves disease and I know these can be caused by that. (am 28yo otherwise-healthy female, Graves diagnosed 4 months ago. Don't smoke/drink coffee/drink much alcohol). I also suffer badly from anxiety & panic attacks for last 6 years (had 2 earlier today). So I KNOW flutters all probably relate to that but still (like everyone above) I have that voice in the back of my head going "but IS IT more serious? ARE YOU going to die?" (shut UP annoying voice), which only make the anxiety/PA's worse.

Was interested to read above re: dehydration, hormone levels & sensitivity relating to heart flutters (I currently have my period and have been crying all day over the littlest things like burnt toast?! Also haven't drunk much water).

For any future readers with hyperthyroid issues: my endocrinologist says stay away from Soy & caffiene, get your mercury levels checked (esp if you eat a lot of tuna/fish or Japanese food), take a probiotic twice a day, and a multivitamin. Also (I haven't done this yet) but she says to use a "grounding sheet" in your bed or under your desk at work, to discharge built-up energy and bring your body back to an equilibrium that it can more easily heal itself.

Also, sounds obvious but yoga or meditation can be big help for anxiety. I'm addicted to iPod meditation tapes to help sleep on bad nights. And even just going to the gym is a good (and healthy) distraction. Also naturopath suggested problems in thyroid may relate to not speaking the things that you need to say / not being heard (she suggests this is why so many women have thyroid problems, coz we internalize so much). Not sure how much I'm into that theory but it's interesting. So - speak your truth!

Am now feeling much more calm, drinking a big glass of water with Magnesium powder in it (to calm nerves and muscles), and will attempt going back to bed with a meditation podcast.

Thanks to everyone above for calming my hypochondria - it's so reassuring to know we're not alone :)
Dehydration, change in blood pressure.
Same as everybody ... freaking out a little when I lay down and I can feel my heart fluttering and missing beats and beating hard.  I have Hypothyroidism and notice that this gets worse when my thyroid is off or when I'm frustrated or worried about stuff.  I had the EKG and even an MRI because it was so severe that I'm just waiting to have a heart attack or something since my father died of heart disease.  I also noticed that a couple of times when driving a length that my heart sometimes palpitates to the point that I wonder if I should pull over so this thread also brought me a lot of "inner peace" :)
FYI: Women, birth control can cause heart palpitations. Any change in hormones can indeed cause this. I was on Depo=Provera and after a year was getting worse and worse heart palpitations. My doctor recommended I get off of it and when I did the heart palpitations went away.
Hi. I'm 20 years old and I been having paps since I was in middle school i  think. Over time as I got older I started to get them more, more son when I lay down then when I'm up and about through out the day but I have noticed them when I'm up and about some times. I'm not in the best shape at all I'm a few pounds over weight and i don't eat right. I been to the Dr and they think I'm playing when I say I have paputations cause they can't fine anything wrong.  They did a EKG and said heart was fine they listened to my
heart and said it sounded great it had a off beat to it but it
didn't seem seriuse. Some times when I get the paputaions I cough witch is weird. I even had to were a heart monitor for 48 hrs.
This is a fabulous forum...I'm 55 years old....male 6-3 225...I've been dealing with off and on "blips" since my early 20's and probably before.  I'm active, former athlete, but I also suffer from anxiety and went through a difficult time with panic attacks in my late 20's.
   I've been though what so many of you have been discussing.  Fear of dying, ER visit, Echo's, stress tests, Holter device, taking my pulse so I can catch a "blip" .  Through it all, no one could give me a  solid answer,  except the tests look good and try not to worry about !
   Recently, I've had an episode of "blips".   That's what brought me to the internet and this forum.  Anxiety seems to be the biggest culprit.  I'm convinced most of us are built with a sensitive system. Meaning, we "feel" our heart beats more than the average person.  I've been told countless times by doctors, that everyone's heart "blips" or resets multiple times during a 24-hour period.  We just "feel" ours.  
    I have found when I cut back on caffeine, alcohol and anxiety triggers, the "blips" tend to lessen.  Also, stay active and stay positive.  Worry, only invites more "blips" !
     It's good to share thoughts and stories, and though I wish no one this type of anxiety, it's good to know we're not alone !  Fight on  !

I am 67 female, and have a server leaky mitral valve. Started having palpitations a five years ago off and on. Wore a monitor for a month the first year they began and nothing happened the whole time I wore it (Of course)  And they went away for about 3 years.  I would notice a few now and then but nothing too speak of.  Then this year in March they started up again and have been with me regularly since. My Cardiologist had me wear a monitor again for a couple of weeks.  Diagnosed with AFIB. due to my Mitral Valve issue.  I have had the Mitral Valve leak since I was 5 years old and have had it monitored every 6 months for the past 10years with no changes showing and have never experienced anything like this.  I have learned to manage.  I  noticed that after I eat certain foods they happen. So changed my diet drastically and have lost 20 lbs in the past 3 months. No coffee :(  or sweets, low sodium and fat.  All good things. But no changes.  The hardest thing is trying to remain calm when they are bad. Anxiety is my enemy.  Because I do have the Mitral Valve issue and will eventually have to have surgery to replace it someday causes my anxiety levels to go through the roof sometimes. Guess my advice for all of us suffering from this is to remain calm at all costs. I will be going to an internal medicine doc at the end of the month to be sure there are no underlying issues until , Natural Calm (magnesium powder), Chamomile Tea, and Alka-Seltzer seem to help me, and most of all prayer and focusing on the Lord Jesus for peace. I pray the same for you.
Really glad I found this thread.

I started having very bad episodes for the last week. They would run from 5-10 seconds and almost leave me breathless. I've been to emergency, doctor, had ECG, bloods... Next they were going to to a Holter Monitor... but I need to pay for that.

Thinking about it over the last few weeks has made me realize I've had this for ages, but never picked up on it. For years when I lie on my back in bed, I'd have very short episode.

Not sure why they have exploded lately, but I've dropped coffee, alcohol, bad eating (not that it was that bad anyway). I'm a regular gym goer and run most nights.

Really glad I found this thread as I've been worrying so much. The doctor did say it wasn't life threatening, but they couldn't tell me what the issue is.

They were also going to put me on beta blockers.
Brilliant thread,
I too have palpitations, very fit 41yrs old, Gym Jones, running, etc. Currently on flecincide 200mg daily for around 6 years, keeping a nice stable rhythm. Last few weeks my palpitations have been getting worse...I am a nervous, anxious person which does not help. I am rather reluctant to have my meds increased.
Definitely, worse in the evenings, following supper, and when sitting.
Following many tests, no underlying reasons have ever been found - I am as sure as I can be that the mind is a most powerful weapon and I/we must use it to our advantage, threads like this can help.
Best wishes all.
S.
I get these too. I get the heart palps when I try to sleep at night, but they keep me up until they slow down I noticed that when I drink coffee in through out the day I get them more frequently. I am 19, 138LBS. My ECG was normal and blood work normal as well. I am glad I know I'm not the only one to get these, although it seems like all of you who get them are older than me. Hopefully I can find something to slow them down or to keep them from happening it gets to be bothersome at night.
It's kind of funny cuz I'm reading this and I seen  a lot of people talk about this and I keep on seeing age 28 I'm 28 I get heart palpitations all the time when I'm on my back I'm getting in right now as  I'm writing this message I do drink more than I should and I have anxiety and stress but I feel  alot of the stuff just in your mind.
Hi everyone,
I ve been reading lots of post here and it has been helpful in shedding some light on what isnt an easy symptom to deal with.
Id like to know if anyone is having a similar issue as I am right now.
Ive been on mediation 7 years for A/Fib, had one small breakthrough 3 years ago which was just increased heart rate and didnt lead to A/Fib, but is a precurser to. I also suffered panic attacks, and take a beta blocker.
After a very stressful year at work and family, I ended up in hospital with A/Fib, 5 days after leaving my job. The heart reverted after 3 hours and I went home exhausted. Cardio said stress and the fact I had missed taking medication in the mornings. Ok I thought yes thats probabaly correct. Since then i have had palpitations every night and feeling a lot of body heat and pounding in my head, for 4 weeks.I have to have a fan on in my room , as it helps to calm down the palpitations. It isnt hot  in the house so It is a catch 22. I get hot  cold and so on! Thyroid tests are normal, but after reading a comment by a member saying he had so many tests and finally was put on bio identical hormones, that maybe this is a clue for me. I am 62, and have suffered heat related issues from menopause. Hot weather is is difficult and my heart rate goes up , so I avoid the heat when I can. I am going back to the Cardio, because I cant keep going with no sleep. I dont think the Arrythmia meds work all that well. Thing is stroke is in  my family , and my Father had one and died of Aortic Aneurysm at 62. By the way I am not thinking this could happen to me because i am 62. My Dad was a heavy smoker and alcoholic and he continued up to his death. I dont drink smoke or have caffiene. I tried Bio Identical hormones many years ago and felt great. I stopped because of the cancer link to natural and synthetic hormone treatment. What to do? Anyone got any comment? I wish you all good health.
Yes I have had this pounding in the head that has just started in the last 4 weeks.
How are you going with it now?
I too am 28. I had one palpitation every few days for years. Now, as if  out of nowhere, I have them all the time! I have them during the day occasionally, but it mostly starts around 5ish. I will literally have them until i fall asleep. Its so scary/annoying! Im always afraid that this palpitation will be my last. I guess i should go to a doctor but i feel as though they always tell you its "all in your head"
I read all the posts since 2007 on here and it is amazing. I have anxiety and depression but it was caused from PTSD. I have the cough with my palpitations like everyone here. Also, like everyone I use to have it once or twice a year now its every night. I did just start a business from ground up that had me working from 10am to 3am. So, my stress level was real high especially since I had to go back many times to fix things that I had already done (so annoying). Anyway, I am very happy I found this page because I am now realizing that starting yoga, meditation and nature walks is the right thing to do (started yesterday). I read you guys talking about increasing water. I am doing that now. Unfortunately, I also back way off of my precious work that I love to lower the stress levels. I will post back to let you guys know if all this made a difference. Lots of love and healing for all of you.
Forgot to mention I am 37 year old female 5'3. Slightly over weight by 15lbs. Palpitation starts when I sit or lay down.
Glad this string is still going I also live like all of the rest of you  47 in very good shape clean bill of health and I thought the doc's were all missing it but I'm not alone Thanks for helping me see it's not just me Thanks to all and be well!
Oh this is amazing!  I too, have read the posts back from 2007 and have noticed the common thread of anxiety.
Ive had palpitations for years but in the last year, they've become more frequent.  For the first time last year, I had a panic attack which scared the hell out of me.  Went to hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack and had all the tests but it came back fine.  Since then, Ive noticed the steady increase in palpitations.   I had a holter monitor in February but they didnt pick anything up.  When I went back to my GP for the results, he performed a mental health check and I was diagnosed with severe anxiety.  He says this is more than likely why Im having increased palpitations.
Ive just noticed that, after two weeks of holidays, Ive returned to work this week and the palpitations have increased after a relatively quiet month or so.
Like others, its when Im lying or sitting.  I can work out at the gym quite hard and not have one episode while pushing the limit but as soon as I stop...BAM!
Im heading to the doctor again in two days and was going to ask for another Holter monitor but Im sure he will insist that I go to see a Counsellor to learn to control my anxiety!  Thats what he suggested last time!
I actually feel better knowing Im not the only one out there.  Good luck to everyone, lets hope we can all learn to relax and maybe slow these damn things down!
Think I will try the meditation and also the walks.  Definitely need to increase the water consumption.  Good luck with everything :)
Hi. I am 23 and I have had an echo stress test and ekg and all is well.they tell me its caffine so I slowed almost to a stop. I say what im haveing is palps but honestly I dont know. I have like half hr episodes. Its like I have my main beat boom boom and then I  have a back griund one every couple of seconds that says boom boom boom real fast over top of my main beat. When I go to the doc it never happens for them to hear. Scares me it all started around my daughter turned 9 months she just turned two. Some times my arm tinglesso I pop an asprin and step outside for fresh air. I get so scared I get short if breath. Help please im to young for this ha.....