Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart palpitations

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart palpitations

I was put on citalopram10mg for 4 weeks, then 20mg after that, for mild anxiety when I had a bereavement in the family, after about 6 weeks I started to get heart palpitations, so the GP told me to come off and after two days break she put me on Sertralin, the two days I stopped the Citalopram the heart palpitations stopped, after a week on the sertraline the heart palpitations started again, so she advised me to come off this also. This was almost two months ago, and I still have this strange iregular pulse, and it comes up to my throat making me cough. I did have this strange zapping sensation in my eyes when I moved them from side to side but that has now gone, I also seem to have a lot of flatulance with the heart palpitaions.I went to the GP today, and she wants me to have a monitor put on me to check my heart, but I feel sure this all stems from taking the SSRI, I was wondering if any one out there, has had the same problem, and effects from these drugs, and if they have any advise on how to correct the heart from its iregularity and when and if it might stop!  
It is not uncommon to have symptoms when coming off of an SSRI/SNRI medication.  The palpitations you describe sound benign but I agree with your primary care provider in obtaining an ECG monitor to ensure that there is no arrhythmia.  Based on the symptoms you described your doctor might want to consider thryoid testing.  Cutting back on caffeine intake if it is significant would be adviseable as well.