Heart Disease Community
Heart problems

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Heart problems

I am a 20 year old female and well I have been to four different doctors and well one of the said that I had cardiomyopathy and well I am worried because I don't really know what that is or anything and I was told that is a very serious heart disease, I am not sure what to do or anything so I was wondering if I could get some input on what to do about it. Thanks
If the doctor told you that you have cardiomyopathy, the next step would have been to send you to a cardiologist to be monitored and some treatment plan put in place. It's not something you can fix on your own like a head cold. Did the doctor refer you to a cardio?
If you truely have a cardiomyopathy then you need to know which type you have. There are primarily 5 different types: Dilated, where the heart walls are too thin, Hypertrophic, where the walls are too thick, Restrictive which is similar to the Hypertrophic where the walls are both thick and are restricted in their ability to relax, Alcoholic which speaks for itself and Perinatal which happens when a woman is pregnant. The word cardiomyopathy actually means: diseased heart muscle and it is a serious form of heart disease. You need to be followed by a doctor who understands exactly how to treat this disease as the treatments are different for each of the cardiomyopathies. Those treatments vary from drug use all the way to transplantation although only a small percentage of patients actually need to get a transplant.
You would need to let us know what kind of cardiomyopathy it is.
As mentioned above, cardiomyopathy simply describes a disease of the heart muscle of which can be caused by several different things.
Depending on the underlying cause of the cardiomyopathy will dictate treatment and outcome and of course, any relevant input we can give