Heart questions
I went in for  pre admission testing for an upcoming hysterectomy. I knew I had heart beat that skipped under pressure, and anxiety. They found PVC's on my EKG. I went today for a Stress test, and had the thalamus ejection, followed by the echo cardiogram, then came back later for more photos of the heart. I get home an hour later they call me saying they say a shadow on/around the heart..probably blockage. They immediately phone in Nitrostat, and 25 mg of Metorpolol. This has me on high alert. I went 9 minutes on the stress test with no pain what so ever. I am 40lbs overweight, fairly active, and female, I eat pretty healthy, but my family history has a lot of heart failure. I see the doctor next week. Before I go I am to fitted with a heart monitor halter for 24 hours. I'm scared and wondering if anyone has advice. Can you reverse blockage by diet, and meds? Any help would be comforting. thank you Dwana
Sorry to hear of your problem. First off, before you get too worked up, take a deep breath and relax. You need to wait for the doctor to get all your results together and determine if there really is an issue and to what degree it is. You may have had a false positive which is fairly common for women. The Nitrostat is a vasodilator to help your arteries supply more oxygen rich blood to your heart muscle if you have chest pain. PVCs are very common and don't necessarily mean anything dangerous, it's just one piece of the puzzle.

So try to stay calm and just let your doctor know if you have anything new happen or if you start having symptoms. Also, try to stay off the Internet and researching heart disease, it will only get you worked up between now and the time you see your doctor. We will always be happy to answer your questions and give you support here as well.

Don't worry about something that may not exist, have a good weekend and let your doctors sort this out.

Feel free to reach out if we can help.

Jon
as usual Erijon has given sound advice. I had 20,000 pvc's duing my 24-hour Halter. The cadio was not at all impresed. There are several medicines to control these heart flips. two years later I had a stent put in. Nothing to fret about. Now my pulse has slowed and flipped no more than a couple  of times in two years, provoked by strenuous exercise. Don't fret. You may need only medication and exercise, good food.
by cadio, I mean cardiologist.
bless
First off thank you, just to have someone to talk to about this is a plus. I'm scaring my family by just the mere mention of it. I have had a lot of stress lately..I know we probably all have, but nonetheless it's been intense. I have a son in the Navy, in the Persian Gulf, and a daughter that just moved to France two days ago. Not mentioning other things some other things going on. That's how I noticed the PVC's. But they did find a shadow on/by the heart. I finally spoke with the nurse yesterday evening. She said that typically means blockage. So I'm fretting more, but I'm glad they found this stuff out in an office, instead of the ER. Trying to pull myself together and be positive. I took the beta blocker last night, and the tension around my chest I usually feel seemed to ease up. I slept great too. Not sure if that's just wishful thinking, or if the beta made a difference that quick. And the advice about staying off the internet searching for info, is great advice! lol Thanks for sharing and caring...it's been much appreciated. Dwana
The  Nurse has no business making that statement unless she has M.D. behind her name. I have heard Nurses make all kinds of statements and  been wrong. Statistically, she may be right however in a woman there is a high rate of false positives in these tests. Don't get worried, relax and wait and see what your doctor has  to say. The PVCs do NOT mean you have a blockage, hang in there!

Jon
I also forgot to mention they found ST depression as well. whoopie. I had forgot about that. Will be glad when Thursday gets here. I know my shirt was causing all kinds of problems with the EKG, it was loose and messing with the system. Thanks again everyone. I've come to some sort of terms with this. Better to know in a controlled setting if something is wrong, than out having fun,or home alone. Have a great weekend!
Just wanted to thank you again, for all the info. It really made me feel better. I'm getting ready to head out to see the cardiologist. Nervous as all get out. The ST depression thing has me anticipating  the whole outcome of this..but gotta face down your fears, right? Hope you have a great day, and thanks again.
DwanaC
thank you...I'm about to find out some answers in a few. I appreciated your advice!
So I go for a heart cath. next Thursday. I very large shadow on the lower front part of my heart. I actually got to see it..I know why they were so concerned. He hopes it's blockage, or spasms. Spasms will mean meds. and, of course blockage will mean a stent. I hope that is the extent of it. I'm on lots of meds that make me feel worn out. Feel better without them, but that's my update. Thanks again, Dwana  wish me luck!