Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart rate increase with morning shower?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am 27 years old, being treated for anxiety with Zoloft.  My concern is that I've noticed that when I get up in the morning, and get in the shower, my pulse starts racing.  Is this normal?  Thanks.
Dear Demian,

This is normal and is in response to waking up in the morning.
Hi there:  

Along the same lines as the above question, I was wondering if you could tell me if it's normal to have an increase in heart rate to around 170-175 or so while showering or even having a bath. At least this is as fast as I can count and often it seems to be faster than that - almost a ripple to the touch of which I cannot count.  (Also, this rate I am counting is after I can see again, which means I am down on the floor of the tub and recovering.  I'm assuming this means it could have been higher even).

This is getting quite frequent for me and quite bothersome and taxing as every time this happens in the shower for instance, I nearly pass out. My vision disappears (goes completely black), my hearing gets muffled/distant and my legs give out and down I go. I feel terribly exhausted. I never completely lose consciousness, as I am aware of what is going on. I am worried that I could hit my head on the tub or something since I am not in control - often, I try to grab the shower curtain as I go down or grab onto the side of the wall for support.

When my pulse rises in the bathtub I have this strong urge to get out but do end up doing so with great difficulty as I can barely summon enough energy.  There have been times when I have had to call my husband to pull me out.  (Then, when I stand up, down I go anyway).

I first noticed this problem (infrequently) when I was a teenager - about 10years ago or so. I pretty much ignored it then but, now it has appeared to happen much more often - in the last couple of years or so.  In the last few weeks it seems to be almost every day...

Here are my questions for you?

What do you think this could be?  Is it something that I should be worried about? ( or do I have to live without showers and baths??  :) )  By the way, I do not think that the water is too hot or anything like that.  

Is it dangerous to have a high heart rate like that so often for no apparent reason/exursion?

Would you say that this is cardiac related or neurologically related?  

Is it a common problem?

Thanks for any insight you can give me on this.  It is much appreciated.
Please repost this as a new question due to the length of this question.
i also have a problem with almost passing out in the shower i am still a teen(17) but it started around 14 first i feel dizy then light headed then my vision gets blacker then i cant breathe so i just get out and lay down for about an hour. Is this because im staying in too long or is the water too hot? Btw im using my phone to type this so please excuse the informal writing