Heart Disease Community
Heart rate jumps to 140 Help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Heart rate jumps to 140 Help?

Resting heart rate 75-100, sitting 85-110, standing and walking into the kitchen 115-135, after taking a hot bath and blwong my hair dry in a hot bathroom 140!!!!!! It's reallt scaring me can someone please help me understandd because I am so confused?
Other info:
I am 22-female, 122 lbs, 5"5 ft tall, only eat foods low in fat (lots of fruits and veggies, wheat, baked chicken, etc.), I have severe scoliosis which prevents me from exercising much and when my heart beats fast I get dizzy, fatigued, and faint which prevents me from exercising because it only makes it worse. I drink lots of water, smoke 1- 1 1/4 pk a day, drink occasionally, take b12 and magnesium vitamins.
I have had many EKGs, 2 stress tests, and an ultrasound of my heart (ALL NORMAL), Had thyroid tests, blood tests, urine tests (All normal except I have low b12 (reason I take b12 shots once a month and take supplements), and low blood sugar if I don't eat 3 meals a day which I do, and my bp is usually in between 90,96-60,68! Someone please tell me what's going on! I've been to 3 cardiologists and the ER many times and everything was always normal!!!
Give up the cigarettes and see how things change. Smoking will play with your heart rate and blood pressure. It is also important to realise that smoking affects some people more than others, and if you are worried about your heart, you wouldn't smoke because this is a path to obtain heart problems among other things.
I agree with Ed 100%. I am sure you know  that above the nicotine many many chemicals are in the cigarettes. You are lucky your body is showing you what not to do. Think wisely.
I have tried to quit many times but with no avail. I quit once for 2 months, another time for 3 months, and another time for 7 months and still ended up falling back into it. I am always stressed out. My family and I are currently living with an abuse, hostile, mean man (my father), and I can't quit smoking when the situation is so stressful. I promised my mother that if she made him leave so that my family and I can be at peace that I WOULD stop smoking. And I meant every word. But I just can't right now. And everytime I try to quit I get so mean and violent and there is a small child here that doesn't need to experience that. I have tried slowing down then quitting. That doesn't work at all. I have tried nicotime gum, etc and that doesn't work at all either. The only method I have found is to wake up first thing in the morning and quit cold turkey with no access to cigarettes whatsoever and that worked for 7 months until my father came back and I just gave up. All of the stress in the household is caused by him. I just can't do it with him here.
We always find excuses to carry on smoking. My Wife developed cancer and we have 3 children, which caused very stressful times over the years. I kept smoking and ended up with severe heart disease. I did try to give up but I kept saying "now isn't the time". The time will never be right until you just decide to give up. I used to go nuts when I tried to give up, like you, getting angry at everyone/everything. Five years ago, I had my first heart attack and decided to investigate the effects of smoking. I found it causes so many damaging effects to the body, it was frightening. Everything from the Liver to the Lungs. I also learned that statistics show 1 in every 2 smokers get a chronic illness related to smoking by the age of 40. That's just the flip of a coin. After I read all the facts, giving up was suddenly very easy. My body and mind seemed to know it was the right thing to do and never questioned me. I look at cigarettes now and see a stick of poisons, ones which eat away at your body. Nobody or anything is worth taking such risks for. I urge you to just research the truth regarding smoking, it will make it so much easier. Already your health is being affected. You are under stress without smoking, so smoking is adding even more stress to your body.
You are blaming your weakness on your father. It is not his life it is your life. You should work on yours first and most.  Abuse is a very sad drama that should be salve one way or the other but anyhow you are responsible for staying a victim. You should not. One solution is: you could just walk away from that situation, but maybe it won’t be better. I don’t know. It is your life to know by feeling it what is the right thing to do? I am just thinking loud while imagining your situation. You also said you get mean and violent if you don’t have your smoke. So you are abusive also. You both have problems you and your father. You already stopped smoking many times so you can do it again if you want! It is all up to you, not up on his behaving.  If you don’t, can’t walk away you need to do something .Maybe family canceling?
  Also you can arrange with responsible smart friends and family members a meeting, or more  sit down all and talk honestly why your lives  turned out like that? If your Mother was letting him back, maybe after all there some love left, and on that can start some change for good. Everybody deserves a second chance. You are a beautiful young lady. Be strong and smarter than your father. Take charge, if he can’t. Be the one who you can look up to:  YOU and maybe even he can change if you start to show how responsible grown up you are. You must believe in that  new  strong image of yourself . In the meantime you will quit smoking like you never smoked.
I wish that to you from my heart!
correction:

Family Counseling.... I so much would need an edit button!
Look into Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS).  The tale tale sign is a heart rate increase of 30 beats per min when going from a laying position to a standing. (Can also happen from a sitting position). Heat aggravates the condition as well as large meals. It has nothing to do with the heart. POTS is actually a condition caused by a malfunction in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the involuntary functions (ie.  insulin production, temperature regulation, heart rate, blood pressure). Feel free to ask me any questions
after many years of going to Dr's I was diagnoised with Fibro. Now any and everything is "Fibro caused" I gave up seeking help and learned to live w it. 3 wks ago i go in for antibiotics do to a cat bite and this new doctor discovers my high resting heart rate. Finally someone is looking into it. He had me walk around the office w a nurse. My PR went from 109 to 140 in less than 5 minutes. I thought i was gonna die (not completely) He is checking blood work for the normal stuff that ALWAYS  comes back normal. CBC, HILIPID PANEL TSH CMP. Will any of these test show POTS ? I read the list of symptoms and it sounded like they were reading my med files. If these test dont show what test can i ask for?
I think your heart isn't conditioned and walking at a good pace every day would help.  I used to have similar palpitations but with exercise the heart rate volatility decreased substantially.  In the past if i went up a few flights of stairs my heart would develop supraventricular tachycardia.  I did the stress test, etc., only to have my cardiologist tell me to increase my cardiovascular routine to help make my heart stronger.  

Check with your cardiologist and start walking every day.  You don't need to jog or run or do anything extreme to get the same heart benefits.