Heart Disease Community
Heart rate too low, especially at night?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I have a connective tissue disease and this past winter I had quite a flare up with heart related problems and breathing problems. I had an echocardiogram which showed borderline pulmonary hypertension with RVSP of 28-30, slight mitral prolaspe and tricuspic regurgitation. I also ended up in the ER with pvc's.For two months after that I had irregular heartbeats at times, palpatations (heart pounding in chest and fast at times) and blood pressure drops. I had an overnight study to see if I had an oxygen problem and at that time I noticed when I turned over in bed , the machine on my finger recording the numbers would jump from 56 to 91on heart rate (oxygen would be 92 to 98), just from turning over.Long story short, I did not need oxygen. I have good oxygen rates at 99% during the day.
My question is this has all subsided but I do notice I wake up tired and have a heart rate NONIN which I have put on my finger upon waking like this and my heart rate is in the 40's .A couple of times in the low 40's. Can your heart rate go to low at night and make you tired after sleeping hard all night?
I am a 54 yr. old moderately active, walk and water exercise daily. Just worried something is not being caught here and wonder if I should be concerned and press this all with my cardiologist. Thankyou.
I know a normal resting heart rate is 60 to 100 maybe your more frequently tired cause your pulse is 40. do you think that make sense?
The numbers jumped because of the movement, not because your oxygen levels would jump. Readings need to be taken while you are still. If you move it will jump for a second or two and then normalize again. I know this because my daughter has asthma and has worn those finger monitors numerous times. She needs to stay still while they take the reading.

Also it is normal for heart rate to go down into the 40s and even sometimes in the 30s while you are asleep. Resting heart rate does not mean sleeping heart rate.

Hope this helps.
Ditto to what dmil said, if you are not symptomatic while your heart rate is that low, its probably not something to worry about.. if you are overly concerned, mention it to your doctor.
my heart heart is in the low 40s during sleep and when i wake up my cardiologists says that is fine
Thanks for your comments. I will not worry about it but will bring it up with my doctor next time.
I know this is an older post . But I had a question? I am in my mid 30's , I had mild high blood pressure for a few years . I changed my diet and started exercising about 3 or 4 times a week . Just treadmill and a nice solid paced walk . I stay on my feet and am active at work . But far from being an athlete ..   I have had anxiety and problems sleeping . So I now take between 0.5 mg and 1 mg of Ativan at night . But want to taper off. I noticed within the last few weeks my pulse has dropped in the late afternoons and night . It is usually in the low to high 50's before I fall asleep . ( No symptoms ) It was causing some anxiety at first , but I have seen online that low pulse might not be a bad thing .. where I am worried is when I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning for a bathroom break  my pulse will be in the 70's or 80's  ? And in the mornings when I wake up it will be in the 80's sometimes 90's ? It will eventually  fall back to anywhere between 60 and 70 beats . Until late evening again ? Then it just repeats all over ? How can you go from a resting rate of low 50's at night to a faster rate of 70 and up while you sleep ? Any help is greatly appreciated . :)
Waking with a faster heart rate is an indication of stress on the body, that combined with a low resting heart rate indicates that their may be an underlying medical condition. Pay attention to your activity and energy levels also if yiu have shortness f breath. I have a resting heart rate in the low 50s high 40s but it drops to low 40s and in my sleep it drops down to the low 30s, 30bpm has been the lowest recorded so far. I have shortness of breath and was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolisms but my oxygen saturation is pretty much always in the 90s. i frequently have PVCs which have been becoming more frequent, I also dont go though all stages of sleep, i go from conscience to REM and from REM to conscience every 20-30 minutes. the doctors are baffled. Please help!