Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart skipping a beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart skipping a beat

I've seen a few other questions regarding heart flutters or beats being skipped but nothing that sounds like mine.  I suppose all are probably different.  Im 31 and my whole life would feel it skip a beat every once in a blue moon.  Its almost as though it pauses and then there is a big beat along with a strange feeling in my chest.  

However the last few weeks I've felt it a lot more and especially the last couple days.  Now I just had knee surgery 6 weeks ago to clean out some debris which has been preventing me from working out in fear of my knee locking up.  And now that I can, I've been swimming and biking every day.  Part of me was thinking that maybe all this exercising has been causing this since Ive had to be somewhat sedentary for three years now and now starting to push myself.  However the odd thing is it seems to happen while I eat.  Especially when Im eating quickly.  So to prevent this I've tried breathing slowly and not rushing my meals.  But even still that doesnt always work.  There are a couple things I've added to my diet lately that Im thinking of removing.  Plus today is the first day I havent worked out and Im going to give myself a couple more days off just to give my heart a rest.  

But its got me a little spooked and it seems to be happening more frequently the last few days.  Any thoughts?  Has anyone else had an issue with this after eating?  Or is it possibly all the exercising Im now doing?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The symptoms you initially describe sound very much like a premature beat, which in general and when occurring infrequently, can be a benign entity. However, the only way to confirm this is by observing it directly (via ECG (electrocardiogram) or holter monitor, for example).

It's unclear why you've been experiencing this symptom more frequently, especially during meal time. Some dietary elements can cause increased premature beats (caffeine being a major offender).

Consider seeing your internist or a cardiologist; wearing a holter monitor during your next meal may be able to provide the information to make a diagnosis.
Curious to see what answer you get as I get this sometimes too, and i've seen other people say they do. My doc said it's the vagus nerve but some others don't think that's likely. Not sure why exactly.
Thanks for the feedback.  Only felt it twice yesterday but it wasnt when I was eating which was atypical.  Felt it late in the day in a meeting w/ an exec before I had to speak.  Anxiety perhaps.  I think you're right though, I should schedule an appointment with a cardiologist.  Whether the news is good or bad at least it'll be something.

As far as the vagus nerve, I had not heard of that but after doing some research, some of the issues involved with that seem similar to mine.  Yesterday I felt as though I had something in my throat as though I had to burp and I was feeling very gassy.
Wow - Sounds much like my story.  I am now 45 and have experience palpitations off and on my whole life, but when I hit 31,  the frequency of the palps increase to almost everyday.  

I went to a cardiologist, however they could not find anything wrong and suggested I stay away from caffeine.  I followed the suggestion which worked for almost 10 years.  Then when I hit 41, the palps returned.  Initially, I would experience them once or twice a week, but by the time I hit 44 they were occurring almost everyday.  Frustrated and not getting any long term results from my primary care physician, I again went to the cardiologist and had them perform a cardiogram.  They then discovered I had AI (aortic insufficiency).  I also discovered I was low in Vitamin D and potassium.  Since then I've doubled my exercise routine and now take vitamins and flaxseed oil.  My AI still exists, but I've not experience palps in almost 9 months.  

I've discovered since then that palps can be caused by a number of things, but perhaps your issue is one of diet and not something like AI. Maybe you are low in some nutrient like potassium.  Perhaps at your next Dr. visit have them run a blood  nutrient analysis, it might shed some light.