Aa
A
A
Close
Heart swelling
Hi,
I am a slow acetylator and I took 1000mg which resulted in an overdose with extreme toxicity.
Toxicity symptoms (extreme tachycardia) disappeared but it resulted in extreme heart swelling that is still occuring.
Is this permanent? What can I do to solve that? Diuretics?
Thanks
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
sorry I didn't mention that it was 1000mg of N Acetylcysteine
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Don't know, but I have read that, with that particular supplement, it is better to take less than the usual recommended dose, rather than more.  I take lots of nonprescription vitamins and herbs myself, so I have nothing against it, but if something is an active agent that can actually help you, then it can probably hurt you too.  The stated reason for sticking to low doses of NAC was that, in the doses often recommended (and I can't be specific, because it was too long ago and I don't remember the numbers), it can act as an oxidant rather than as an antioxidant.  In any case, I think you are going to have to wait and see how long it takes for your edema to completely resolve.  As long as this was a one-time thing, I'm guessing that it will completely resolve, but I'm only guessing.  I'm not any kind of doctor.  As for whether diuretics would help, I think that is definitely a question to ask your treating physician.  You will need a prescription for a diuretic if it is indicated, so you will have to talk to someone with prescription priviledges regardless.  In case you are thinking about taking some kind of "natural" diuretic, I personally would avoid self-treatment for the time being.  You need a cardiologist or internist to advise you.  Good luck with this, and be careful.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Heart swelling
Submit Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
watford, United Kingdom
11548417_tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands