Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart symptoms and MCTD

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart symptoms and MCTD

I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and I am experiencing pain in the middle of my chest that travels in a line to the right, palpitations that sometimes make me feel that I am going to pass out, shortness of breath and fatigue.  I am worried that something new is going on.  Is my worry warranted? I am 48 years old, I take plaquenil for the MCTD, cardizem for palpitations, synthroid for thyroid disease, estrodiol for hormone replacement (had hysterectory 10 years ago).  I often have aches and pains and swelling.  I hate to run to the doctor with everything because lots of times the symptoms are gone by the time I end up seeing the doctor.  This symptom, however, seems to be lingering and it's worrying me a bit.  Any info you can offer would be appreciated.
People with lupus of mixed connective tissue disease are at higher risk for develping coronary or valvular heart disease.  Given that your symptoms have been going on for some time now, albeit, atypical probably warrant further workup.  The most concerning would be the chest pain, although, you describe it as atypical.  Unfortunately, women tend to present atypically and I would hate write this off to something else without doing a thorough work-up.  You should probably get an echocardiogram and a stress test to work this up further.  
Thank you for your input.  I appreciate it.  I will follow up with the Cardiologist.  At least I don't feel like I'm running there for something silly.  Thank you again.