Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart
It often feels like my heart is going to flop right out of my chest.  When it happens, I become dizzy, lightheaded, and slightly disoriented.
I do have MS, Sjogren's, low blood pressure, and high cholesterol.  These periods of flopping/dizzy last for quite a while, sometimes a few hours, sometimes only 15 minutes.  If I try to stand or walk, it's like my legs are rubber.
Hi froggy,
Sounds like you have been having a tough time; sorry to hear that.  The fact that you have MS and Sjogrens can make the possibilities of what is causing your symptoms a little more complex, but the good news is that figuring out what is causing these symptoms is pretty straightforward (at least if the initial workup is revealing).  It sounds like you are having palpitations which can be associated with abnormal heart rhythms.  The best way to evaluate this is to see your physician and start with an EKG and possibly a Holter monitor (a continuous, portable EKG monitor that you wear at home for 1-7 days).  If these initial tests reveal an abnormal heart rhythm that can be correlated with your symptoms, then the diagnosis should be easy to make and treatment initiated.  There are multiple arrhythmias that can cause palpitations and the treatment can vary depending on what it is.  If no abnormal heart rhythm is seen, then other tests can be done to make sure nothing else is at play (starting with an echocardiogram/ultrasound of the heart could be a possibility for example).  I hope you get to feeling better soon.  Make sure you see your doctor to get this evaluated.  Take care.