Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heartbeat Feels Like it Stops / Skips a beat.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have periods when it fees like my heart stops and then picks back up (Beat, Beat, Beat, pause--, Beat, Beat).  When it happens, I am usually some gastric reflux type symptoms also.

I seem to feel it mostly in a sitting / lying position.
I'm not sure if it's my heart I'm feeling / or some kind of esophagus problem.

I currently am on 150mcg of levothroid for hypothyroid condition.
I had been taking 10mg of Zestril for blood pressure, but stopped due to my blood pressure going too low (110/60).

My current blood pressure (130/75).

What is going on with me / my heart??

Thanks so much for your time.

J.T. (36yr - Male) except for above, good overall health.
Dear JT

these are likely PVC's and of no concern.  think of them as hiccups of the heart.

You may wish to look through our web site at all the PVC postings for additional insights.

You should also have your thyroid reevaluated to make sure that you are on the correct replacement dose as abnormal thyroid levels may cause irregular heart beats.
Thank you so much - I just stumbled on this sigh today and
it has been a godsend!!! - I've worried about this for months, even though I'd been to the Doc, it never would happen when I was there.  He attributed it to Reflux - I hadn't ever heard of PVC before but it's good to know.

Thank you for all the input and posts on the subject.

J.T.
J.T.

You would be interested to see there are numerous post regarding the possibility of an interrelationship between Acid Reflux and PVCs.  In particular, go to the Gastroenterology forum in this website and scroll the messages until you get to a string entitled Acid Reflux and PVCs.  Several people have pointed out this relationship and, although many docs don't seem to think it exists, some do and, to the credit of the Cleveland Clinic people, I have seen some very open minds from the docs on these boards.  In any event, you will find comfort that you are not alone (either with PVCs or with the perceived relationship with reflux).

Regards,

Andy
I have a question reguardin PVC's.  I've been diagnosed with PVC's and have experienced them for about 10 years.  I'm 32 and have had all of the tests done to make sure my heart is OK.  All test came out fine.  I do have slight MVP with PVC's.  Lately though I have been experiencing a new sensation that happens mostly when I'm running.  It feels like I can't catch my breath for a split second.  Tonight I just happened to be taking my pulse during this episode because I had just finished my run.  My heart rate was still a little high, maybe around 100, when the feeling occured.  This time I could definitley feel a pause between heart beats when this happened.  I've felt MANY PVC's before while taking my pulse and I can always feel the extra beat before the pause.  This time however there was NO extra beat.  I could feel the pulse very clearly and when I had the sensation I described earlier it was a definte pause without an extra beat.  It really scared me, because I had another 2 episodes shortly after.  What do you think this could be??  Can you have skipped beats without the extra beat prior to the pause??  I'm thinking about calling my cardiologist on Monday, but I don't want to be overacting over nothing.  Thank you for your time.

Marie
to Marie: I too have PVC's and very mild MVP.  Back when they worried me more (I'm 48, and have had them since I was 20), I too became more alarmed when the skipped beat was "missing".  Doctors have assured me many times that it just depends when the premature beat occurs - if it is early enough, you don't feel it in your pulse. It's been my experiance that these "skipped beats" are more noticible then "premature" beats, and thus more unnerving.  But rest assured that they are almost always benign.  You may still want to consult with your doctor if the reassurance will help.  Good luck.
Thank you Johns for your comments.  It is always reassuring to hear that someone else has similar experiences.  Thanks you.

Marie
I was hoping a doc. would respond to my comment earlier.  Should I post it again??

Marie
Dear Marie,
  YOu may not always be able to feel this extra beat before a pause.  But rest assured that this is likely benign.  Again, I would discuss this with your MD if you are still concerned.