Heartbeat Skipping
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping that someone could help calm my nerves about my problem. About ten years ago I contracted a bad cold and mixed cold medicines that I shouldn't have. Me doing this caused my heart beat to become irregular. Every 4 beats or so it would skip and I would get a shortness of breath. I went to the emergency room for this and that was when I found out that the medicines I used should not have be taken together in a short amont of time. Like I said, that was about ten years ago. I have been fine up until the other day. I was lying down watching tv. I had my head on a pillow which applified the sound of my pulse (I'm sure everyone knows what I mean) It would be 6 or 7 times and stop for a second and then start again (lol obviously it started again or I wouldn't be typing this) I also get a shortness of breath, it feels like I can't get enough air sometimes.
    My father died 3 years ago from a heart attack (RIP). He fought with his coronary heart disease for a 25 years before it finally took him away from his family. I'm 40 years old now with a wife and two young kids ( 8 years and 1 years old) Obviously I'm not ready to die just yet:)
    My blood pressure was checked not to long ago and it was normal. I do smoke a pack a day though and don't excersise much except on the weekends. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thank you in Advance,
Scott
If you want to live long and prosper then STOP smoking.  There have been studies that have shown the effects of smoking one or two pack a day is the same.

So I would go to a doctor and get on Wellbutrin or something to help you kick the habit.  Then start walking and light aerobics.  

A per the ecoptic beats.  Everyone has them.
If you read on the forum under PVC's and PAC's the FIRST thing you will read is that smoking causes ectopic beats. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop smoking. Please do it for your children. The greatest influence in a child's life is what they see their parents do. I would bet you money that if you quit smoking you would notice that your heartbeats probably will go back to normal right away. I'm sure you know that smoking hardens your arteries. My cousin was a smoker and died at 40 years old while waiting with her daughter at the bus stop. The autopsy report indicated hardened arteries secondary to cigarette smoke. I seriously doubt that your combination of cold medications 10 years ago is still the culprit... probably more than likely the nicotine. I wish you luck!
Thank you for the advice. I've been smoking for twenty five years. I think it's time I gave them up. For myself and for my family. Thanks for the motivation.
Scott
www.scottdtillett.com
Good luck in your effort to quit.  I viewed your website and your family is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.  You've got great motivations, no doubt.  Looks like a beautiful life!
STOP FU@$#$% smoking dude.  If you smoke A cigaratte, it takes 10 minutes off your life.
STOP smoking dude.  If you smoke A cigaratte, it takes 10 minutes off your life.
I have ectopic heartbeats all the time, and am at my wits end, I feel like dying everytime my heart skips the beats, I am on medication but, this still is not a great help, I stopped smoking about 11 years ago, hope I havent damaged my heart to much.