Aa
A
A
Close
Heartbeat is only in my stomach?
While I was bored poking around at my stomach, I pressed one area where my heartbeat was extremely strong. I understand there is an artery there or whatever, but I have tried getting a pulse on other parts of my body, with little or no success .. I have tried my throat, wrist, upper thigh by the artery and there would only be a VERY minor pulse. I tried different places in these areas and no success. I have constantly been dizzy and get chest pains frequently. I have been feeling sick to my stomach lately and i swear it feels like my heart is on my stomach or something. It's kind of freaking me out how I hardly have a pulse anywhere else. I even tried pressing in under the ribcage from underneath and felt no pulse. In my abdomen though, the pulse is extremely strong. Is this normal? Am I just being a hypochondriac or should I go to the doctor? I just find it strange that my stomach is the only place I can get a decent pulse. Help?!
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
976897 tn?1379171202
First of all, most arteries are too deep in the body to feel a pulse, this is because they are protected more from injury that way. Secondly, use your fingers only when checking your own pulse, your thumbs have a strongish pulse of their own. Feeling a pulse in your body and your thumb at the same time can make you think you have a more rapid heart rate, or a skipping rhythm. You can look here for the pulse points...

http://www.emergencymedicaled.com/Illustrations/Pulse%20Points.htm
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
329165 tn?1466758304
The pulse that you feel on your stomach is the Aorta and it can be felt easily and that is completely normal.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
The same thing has happened to me...thank you!I was getting worried
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank
Blank
Blank
Ireland
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
dayna852 commented on Make A Shake That Wil...
4 hrs ago
4522800 tn?1470329434
Blank
VICourageous commented on VICourageous's status
15 hrs ago
4522800 tn?1470329434
Blank
VICourageous commented on stilltrying1965's status
15 hrs ago
Heart Disease Community Resources