Heart Disease Expert Forum
Help! What to do?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Help! What to do?

My 81 year old mom was admitted through the ER for a variety of tests to discover the etiolgy surrounding a goose egg which appeared on her forehead without any history of fall or other trama event. Her history includes Alzheimers, COPD, CHF, stage 3 renal failure, HBP, osteoarthritis, diverticulosis, bleeding ulcers, ventral hernia and bilateral inguinal hernias, type 2 diabetes, heart stents, heart attack and pacemaker. Lab work shows her Potassium is elevated, CT of head is negative, CT of abdomen is negative, and carotid doppler shows 79% occlusion. She is allergic to Plavix and cannot tolerate blood thinners because of a history of bleeding ulcers as well as AVMs in upper abdomen. The hospital that my mom is in is VERY small in a small town and the hospitalist in charge of her care recommends going home and doing nothing; rechecking her condition in 6 months. Somehow, I feel that if we follow his advice my mom may not be around in 6 months. Can something else be done? Help!