Heart Disease Community
Help controlling severe BP + labile BP (240/165 - 90/60)
About This Community:

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help controlling severe BP + labile BP (240/165 - 90/60)

I am on four medications: Bystolic (40 mg / day), Hytrin (12 mg / day), Benicar (40 mg /day), and Clonidine (2 / day).

I started only on Inderal 20 years ago to control mild hypertension and paroxysmal tachycardia. History of possible Lyme Disease otherwise nothing remarkable.

A year ago I started having wildly fluctuation hypertension (normally 120/70 went to 240/115 in seconds - repeatedly with no pattern, no identifiable triggers).

Docs ruled out pheo (ct w/out contrast of abdomen and only moderately elevated norepiinephrine).

EVEN WITH the meds listed above my BP varies from 90/60 to 170/110. Highest in morning. Suffer from exercise induced hypertension as well.

I have suffered on heart attack and one stroke as a result of the spiking BP's. I am desperate for help. Mayo clinic was no help.

WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER NEXT ?

My hunch: Paraganglioma.

How to rule this out?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I also have been DX'd with Malignant Hypertension by a cardiologist.
Blank
Hope somebody can offer useful advice. Cardiologist simply referred me to endo's who gave up after running some basic tests. A head/neck MRI and CT w/out contract of abdomen was done without revealing anything.

After seeing my doc (an internist), a cardiologist, and two endo's, Mayo Clinic, I'm about to give up myself.

How about a damn MRI of the entire sympathetic chain top-to-bottom to see if there is a paraganglioma? My docs won't run any more tests, and my four meds are failing to control the BP spikes.

Blank
Did I post this on the wrong forum ?

I was hoping one of the docs might reply with some kind of helpful information.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
12143043_tn?1432809461
Blank
SUNRIYZMT is ...freakin out waiting o... Comment
21 hrs ago
Blank
Infowars commented on The Turbinates: What ...
May 28
Blank
suzukijax added the Blood Pressure Tracker
May 27
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank