Heart Disease Expert Forum
Help interpreting echo results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Help interpreting echo results

I have an echo for a 20 year old male that needs interpreted.  It states regional wall abnormalities in the right basal inferior(Hypokinetic) and the Right basal septal (unable to interpret results).    There is Mild right atrial dilation, Mild left atrial dilation, Mitral leaflet redundancy Normal left ventricular EF, with a visually estimated ejection fraction of 60%
Thanks for your help in advance.
Tags: mitral, echoes, atrial, regional wall, Heart, Echocardiograph
This echo report would be most appropriately interpreted by the patient's cardiologist, in conjunction with the medical history and current symptoms (if any). The ejection fraction reported (60%) is normal. Hypokinetic areas may or may not be consistent with the patient's history. Sorry I cannot be more helpful but there is little else that can be said in isolation. I would encourage the patient to follow up with his cardiologist.
Hi!  I'm not the doctor (obviously) : ) but I've had valve replacement and get an echo every year.  I had my first surgery at age 20 so I'm sorry to hear of someone so young having problems.  

Anyway, the one thing I've learned is to never stress out when the word I see is "mild."  The EF fraction is also in range, so shouldn't be anything to worry about there.  

I've also had the word "hypokinetic" show up one echo and my cardio didn't see it as a big deal. (Of course this is only MY echo and this one may be different.) It's never been mentioned on any other echos but there can be a difference in yearly readings depending on the tech doing the reading and the person that interprets the results.

Just my two cents and I hope you can get a good interpretation of this from your doc.

Best wishes.

Anyway,
Thank you!  We visited the cardiologist yesterday, and he had another echo done.  The cardiologist did not see any signs of regional motion wall abnormalities.  Could it be that the other report was not interpreted correctly?  He ordered a sleep study to be done, because blood oxygen levels decreased to 81% for 4 minutes during sleep.  By the way, symptoms that led to the echo were chest pain and shortness of breath.