Heart Disease Expert Forum
Help me pleaseeee

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Help me pleaseeee

I am a 20 year old female. Occasionally I get upper left sided chest pain ( just left of the center of my chest). At time i feel like i am not getting enough oxygen when taking deep breaths and it forces me to yawn (this happens with and without chest pain, more so without). I tend to get very scared and anxious because i automatically assume that I am having a heart attack and will die. Ive been to the emergency room atleast 6 times this year (2012) due to chest pain and was told that everything looks fine. Ive seen a cardiologist and had EKG test done, stress test done, and a echocardiogram. The cardiologist also told me that everything looked fine and I was ok. The pain only seems to go away when i take a 800mg ibuprofen. Sometimes it is accompanied by left arm pain and back pain. I thought it may be gas because at times my stomach hurts and i havent had a good bowel movement in a long time but after taking Prilosec and gas x the pain remained!! Can someone please help me and tell me what this may be!!!!!
Questions like you have are often somewhat difficult to answer in a forum like this. It sounds as though you pain has been fairly thoroughly worked up from a heart standpoint. Sometimes people can have similar type pains with inflammation around the heart in the pericardium though if you did not have ecg changes or echocardiogram findings consistant with this then it is unlikely. There are certainly many things that can cause chest pain including issues with the lungs and chest wall though these would need to be evaluated by a doctor. Inflammation in the area where the cartilage in the chest meets the ribs/sternum (costrochondritis) can cause chest wall pain that improves with ibuprofen though generally hurts if you push on the area. Lastly, anxiety and panic attacks frequently manifest as chest pain. I would recommend discussing this with your primary doctor as the ER is very good at ruling out bad things like heart attacks and blood clots in the lungs though is often not the place to get the evaluation for things that are not life threatening. I hope this helps.