Heart Disease Expert Forum
Help

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Help

Hi Folks,

I recently visited a Cardiologist due to experiencing left sided chest aches.  This is not the first time I have visited a Cardiologist as I underwent a Nuclear Stress Test in 2010 (Which came back normal) Continuing to experience the aforementioned chest discomfort I visited another Cardiologist as the former had relocated his practice to another state.  Anyway, this time (two weeks ago) I was given yet another Nuclear Stress Test and an Echo.  Went back to the doc and received what I perceived as good news / not so good news.  Normal Nuclear Stress Test, and “Moderate” thickening of the heart muscle.  That is all I remember unfortunately but if I understand correctly this is called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy correct? Anyway, I am a 41 year old white male, no diabetes, no kidney issues, and take Lisinopril and Cardizem.  Doc says he wants to see me a couple of times a year for BP / weight check (I’m kind of a big guy) Question is:  Do I need to freak out about this?  Or is this something that comes with age etc.
The finding of a "thickened heart muscle" likely suggests that you have some varying degree of left ventricular hypertrophy, especially given your history of hypertension.  Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy also is a problem of a thickened left ventricle, but usually is asymmetrical and involves the septum of the heart, which is severe enough, can cause obstruction of blood flow and subsequent symptoms.  If there were asymmetrical thickening of your heart, it would usually be reported as such; however, if there are further concerns, you can ask your cardiologist for a copy of your report and/or discuss this with him/her who has access to both the report and the images.