Heart Disease Expert Forum
Helping my mom after a heart attack

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Helping my mom after a heart attack

Hi there
My mom suffered some form of heart problem in the summer. She went into cardiac arrest, and they don't know how long her heart was stopped for...apparently it was caused by an arithymia  but I am not entirely sure. She was in hospital for a week as doctors tried to work out whether she'd survive and would be back to "normal"---  a time I cannot forget, but she cannot remember.

She has never made the healthiest of eating choices, when we go out to eat she orders most fattening thing on menu (it seems to me) and doesn't think twice about whether maybe she should choose a garden rather than caesar salad or choose something other than pasta with alfredo. It seems she just doesnt think about which is better for you, just what she wants in the moment. And it hasn't changed. It bothers me SOOOOOOOO much. Especially after everything that's happened.
But me passive-aggressively saying something about salt, how unhealthy the choice is, better things to eat, even gentle coaxing or attempts to suggest other things are either ignored or cause fights among my family that I should just live my life and let her live hers.

I guess I am just wondering how to even deal with this situation, whether I am in the wrong, or doing the right thing, or how to better approach this. It worries me so much and makes me so unhappy. It caused fights among us when she was in hospital because I knew this would happen and nothing has changed. I am so frustrated, I can't just continue to watch this and worry that it might happen again.
Tags: coma, mom, momrt, Heart Attack, Eating
I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.  Getting patients to change their behavior is one of the most challenging parts of being a physician.  Don't get discouraged.  Her doctor should work very closely with her to try to educate her about the importance of diet, especially after the patient has known coronary disease.  Don't try to take on this challenge alone.  It is important that family members help the patients make good choices, but don't let it cause a rift or significant stress.  Let professionals such as her physician, nutritionist, etc be stern with her so you don't have to.  Hope this helps.