Heart Disease Community
Herat problem or GERD??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Herat problem or GERD??

Hi All,

a brief history of my symptoms. Back in June got over a cold and had trouble breathing for a couple of weeks after. Went to the dr and they did a spirometry and due to the results they prescribed Advair Diskus 100/50 and Singulair. This worked well up until oct when i started having stomach trouble and the breathing trouble resurfaced so i went back to the dr and have been to numerous specialists shortly after. I saw the cardiloigist and had an ekg, echo and stress test which all came back normal. Saw the pulmonoligist and he had me do a more in depth breathing test which the results were good on everything. Had an upper GI and stomach sonogram done and was diagnosed with a Hiatal hernia, reflux and a fatty liver. LFTs were normal. I am scheduled for Endoscopy in 2 weeks. Saw an allergist and found out i am allergic to eggs and peanuts as well as dust mites and house dust as well as the normal pollen/grass stuff. Last i saw an ENT and he said i have an infection in my nose as well has swelling at the base of the esophegous. As a result from all of this i started developoing anxiety and started having panic attacks, mostly at night. I do wake up several times during the night. I am on the following medication: Advair Diskus 250/50, Singulair, ,Nasacort AQ, combination of Nexium and Zegerid and Alprazolam (Xanax) for anxiety as needed.

Recently i've been feeling run down and winded the past 2 weeks with activity. I have been experiencing on and off chest pain in the mid chest area as well as back pain in the same area. I also experience tightness in the sides of the neck like my glands or lymphnodes are swollen as well as the lump in throat feeling. Could this be a heart problem, gerd problem or anxiety issue. I haven't exercised much in the past few weeks as i'm worried about this. Should i go back to the cardiologist and get checked out?

Any input/suggestions are much appreciated.
I don't think it's necessary to go back to cardiologist, since he's run all the tests that would reveal a problem or not. The Echocardiogram is not that telling. It's good to have for anybody over 55. It's just very general, not very conclusive. The stress test is the main test. If you didn't pass this,you would have a heart attack. The EKG measures the electrical conduction of your heart to signal whether you have AV fibrillation, flutter, or other sinus node conditions. The asthma probably is coming from the hiatal hernia, since your breathing is disrupted from the stomach pushing up through diaphragm into chest cavity. It could also be a complication from allergic reactions. As far as the lump in the throat feeling, that is a side effect of the Advair. The anxiety can be caused from a side effect of the drug also.Also the GERD is caused in your case from the hiatal hernia. They typically prescribe PPI's for this.(Proton Pump Inhibitors). You might want to go to your PCP or allergy and asthma specialist and tell him about the side effects of the Advair. Another side effect that sounds like youre experiencing is fatigue. I hope this helps.