Heart Disease Expert Forum
High Blood Pressure In My 21 Year Old Son
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High Blood Pressure In My 21 Year Old Son

My 21 year old son has been taking medicne for high blood pressure since age 17. Lately his blood pressure has been elevated to 148/110. His medicine was doubled and is still staying at 138/96. Now his doctor has trippled his medicine to try to get his blood pressure down.
  My son does not smoke, drinks very rarely adn does not use drugs.  He is a college student studying premedicine and loves it. He is not under pressure to continue in this field, he has chosen to do this on his own.
  He has a venus lake caused from cerebral fluid leaking (I think that was how it was explained to me). He had viral menengitis at age 13. He was born with acute hypospadius and had 6 surgeries starting at age 13 to correct this problem. He also has chronic asthma.
  The time his blood pressure stays elevated is when he is active in sports. It will stay elevated throughout the season. Then about a week or 2 after the season ends his blood pressure is able to be controlled with medicine and does not fluctuate as it has been.
  He weights 150 lbs and it 5'8" tall.
  Do you have any suggestions I can give to his doctor as to what to do next. He is really working to try to get this under control. My son will be home for the holidays and will probably have some more testing to try and determine the cause.
  I will appreciate any suggestions you can give me on this very important matter.
  Thank you,
  Kathy
  Kathy