High Diastolic Readings
I'm a 37 year old female, non smoker, who rarely drinks alcohol and is not overweight.  In the past year, I was diagnosed with an arrhythmis (sinus node reentry tachycardia), a dilated aortic root, brain aneurysm, Chiari malformation, arachnoid cyst, degenerative disc disease and mild spinal stenosis.

Last week, I was experiencing severe pressure in my head which got me to my PCP.  He immediately sent me to the ER where a CT scan was done.  The scan was normal, but my blood pressure was 143/92 (I'm normally 100/70).  I'm sure the numbers were inflated because of the pain I was in and being in the ER, but the doc expressed concern about the diastolic reading.  I've had my BP taken every day since then and the systolic is down to between 111 and 121, but the diastolic is hovering between 91 and 95.

Should I be concerned about this?  Any ideas what could be causing the high diastolic reading?

Thanks in advance for any insights you have.
I'm not sure why your doctor is considering isolated high diastolic pressure as your systolic is hgh as well.  This may be a transitory event based due to the stress you are experiencing.

If your doctor has reason to believe you have isolated high diastolic BP, that would have an underlying cause of high arteriolar resistence can be related to metobolic control disorder and/or sympathic nervous system..... The muscular walls of the arterioles constrict and dilate in response to both local factors and neurochemical stimuli; thus, arterioles play a significant role in peripheral vascular resistance and in regulation of blood pressure and there is an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Hope this helps provide an insight to possibilities to the higher resistence of the vessel system that can increase high diastolic pressure.

Ken

.