Heart Disease Expert Forum
High HDL - High LDL

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

High HDL - High LDL
I am a very health 62 y.o. female, 5'6" tall, non-smoker, and have never weighed more than 130 lbs.  I eat healthily and exercise regularly.  For the past 3 years, my cholesterol readings have been - Total: 213, HDL: 90, LDL: 119, Total to High ratio: 2.  My physician wants to prescribe a cholesterol lowering medication.  I have been resistant to taking medication since the HDL and Total Ratio are so good.  Family history: Father had 3 vein by-pass in his 50's, but was a smoker and diabetic; younger brother had a 1 vein by-pass in his 50's and currently has a 60% blocked main artery - he was also a smoker, but not overweight; older sister has a 60% blocked main artery, non-smoker, but most of her life has been overweight.  Question: Is it wise to give in and take the cholesterol lowering medication?

Thank you for your response.
To follow the guidelines strictly you do not meet the criteria for initiation of cholesterol lowering medication. With your age and risk factors, 130 LDL level is acceptable, unless you already have coronary artery disease, in which case then the goal would be less than 100 chronically and 70 following an event. It used to be thought that a high HDL protected people from CAD, but in recent years there have been some trials which have somewhat disproved this fact. Even so, you have only one risk factor ( family history), and so your LDL is at goal.
Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation.  Total cholesterol is 231 - my LDL is 117 but my HDL is 104. Triglycerides are 48.   I'm supposed to be taking 20 mg of Crestor a day but to be honest, I cut them in half and only take 10. Of course I've had two heart surgeries but these were due to my aortic valve, not any problem with my arteries. I can't help but feel that I don't really need to be on Crestor.

I'll be interested to hear what the doctor says.

Take care. Cheers!