Heart Disease Community
High Levels of Creatine kinase

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

High Levels of Creatine kinase

Hello

My brother was admitted in hospital in Feb 2008 with CK levels of 30,000. He was kept in for a week and was treated with IV fluids. He was a regular weight trainer and took protein supplements. The docs said its Rhabdomylysis they did no tests only blood tests.

Last week he was in hospital again with CK levels of 5000 and again had to stay in and was put on IV fludis. Because he went weight training a few weeks before he was told not to go and did. Can you please tell me if this may have increased his CK levels.

Im really worried and unsure why this is happening.  He is sue to have some more tests but has not been sent an appointment yet.

can you please email my address this reply - Thank you

This discussion is related to Blood Work Showing EXTRAORDINARY High Levels of Creatine Kinase.
That's crazy I am going through something similar right now. I am in the military, and am a fairly active guy, but I recently moved to another base and throughout the move became a bit more sedentary, gaining a few pounds in the process. I decided to start working out and was on legs day. Though the workout was taxing, it was by no means the most strenuous thing I have done.

As expected, I got the soreness that is associated with working out, my legs felt a bit week, but nothing out of the ordinary. I took the following day off, and by night time not only was my thigh tightening, I was also going through serious pain. Chalking the pain to being out of shape I attempted to sleep it off.

I didn't and couldn't. I remember not being able to bend at both knees. It felt like my thighs were completely flexed, and if I was to force them, it felt like I would've ripped my thigh muscles.

I went to the hospital, and they promptly did blood work on me. My ck levels were over 29,000! They have me on morphine for the pain, and are flushing me with iv solutions, while keeping an eye on my kidney functions. I am not urinating such a dark color right now, and my blood pressure has dropped, so I am improving,
Hey everybody,

I am looking for some answers regarding EXTREMELY high creatine levels. I am currently hospitalized and when i was taken in my CK was stunning 39 000! I had strained both of my biceps muscles three days earlier (without even noticing any damage, no pain nothing) and both of my arms very extremely swollen as was my upper back and sides too. I am a 23 year old girl with athletic background doing track. I can not figure out how a normal weight training with proper warm up and everything can cause this severe CK levels! And to make matters worse this is not the first time. About 4 years ago i strained both of my abs and my CK rocketed to 49 000! That time I spend 5 days in the ER. I have no idea what is causing these crazy levels of creatine. I have never done any drugs, steroidois or anything of that nature. Not even any protein or herbal supplements. I am a seasoned athlete with periods in my life when i trained 3 times a day without any problems. If anybody here has any idea about what's going on, please let me know! I am a Finn and treated at a public hospital so the docs here are just as buzzled about this as I am. Thanks guys!
Hello Everyone,

I am so glad that I ran across this website because I am experiencing a similiar issue.  I am a healthy 32 year-old (at least I thought I was healthy) Army Soldier.  I took an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) back in Nov 09 and collapsed out on the PT field after my 2-mile run.  I have never failed a fitness test nor have I ever had any problems with the 2-mile run portion.  I was weak all over after collapsing and had to be physically taken to the nearest hospital.  The doctor said that my CK had reached to 1100 and that my kidneys were failing (my GFR was less than 30).  They kept me on IV fluids for about two days and later sent me to see a Neuphrologist.  

Recently, I went to the doctor for a routine checkup and found out that my CK had skyrocketed to 18,000!  They basically told me that I was a deadman walking.  But for some reason, I was not experiencing any of the symptoms they said that I should have been experiencing (i.e. muscle pain, weakness, problems urinating). They have yet to figure out what is causing it.  I do not take any performance enhancing supplements and only exercise according to my normal Army workout routine.  My doctor told me to stay away from the gym for awhile.
I have also just been in hospital with something similar. I am a 46 year old man, I am a bit out of shape and do drink more than I should. Say 3 bottles of red wine over a week (not an alcoholic!, at least I dont think so) The only thing I can put it down to is I have bee cycling for the last 5 months, and have been gradually upping the distances (only up to 20 miles so far so no huge amounts) Anyway I was having rather bad pain in my thighs (no other sympoms at all and I did not strain anything cycling, that I know of) Anyway the doctor gave me a blood test and found my CK levels to be 24,000. I was told to go to ER. My blood was taken again and had reached 38,000. When I was transfered to a ward I had a massive cramp in my leg. The worst pain I have ever had. I felt I was going to die and loose control of all my bodily functions (i didnt fortunately) the next morning my blood test revealed levels up to 86,000 The Doctors were somewhat concerned. I was put on IV saline solution and the one bag containing potasium chloride. I felt fine the next day (provided I kept my leg elevated) over the next 7 days my levels returned to normalish (1,000 when I left hospital) I have not had the results of my final blood test (last week) I will be seeing a neurologist soon, But on my hospital discharge it was diagnosed as Rhabdomyolysis. Fortuantely tests on Kidneys & heart were all fine. Liver has some fat, put down to minor over use of alcohol. If anyone has any more infro I would be glad to hear it
I am a 64 yr old male. My CPK was over 300. I have never had this lab test before that I can find. Cardio Dr. said retest in a week. I'll post results. (Same lab had high AST levels a few months ago & retest was back in normal range).
No muscle strains or soreness that have been unusual. Once in a while a little stiff neck or sore thighs or bicepts from routine stuff. I do not lift weights other than groceries,etc...stuff around the house. I walk moderately(no pains). Had cardio ECHO & stress tests a few months ago - normal except for slight mitral valve leak. I do have an inguinal hernia that has been untreated for 2 1/2 years.  High CPK possiby due to ab muscle wall damage??
ALL OF YOU PLEASE INSIST O HAVING YOUR THYROIDS CHECKED. HYPOTHYROIDISM, IF UNTREATED, WILL RESULT IN VERY HIGH CK LEVELS AND EVENTUAL HEART DAMAGE, COMA, EVEN DEATH. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH.