Heart Disease Community
High Pulse Rate for Fit 25 Year Old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

High Pulse Rate for Fit 25 Year Old?

I'm a 25 year old male who exercises between 4-6 days a week (cardio & weight lifting).  I also eat a balanced diet.  I am 6'2" and 170 lbs.  A few months ago I noticed on a drug store machine that my pulse read in the mid 80s (I know this are notoriously inaccurate).  I recently began having my pulse taken at work by nurses, and for the past month it has remained between the mid to high 80s and mid 90s.

The nurses seem very concerned about this, and say that a fit 25 year old who exercises should have a significantly lower pulse.  They said that a heart will wear out at this rate.

The only thing they could think of was my thyroid being messed up.  I've thought this in the past because of my sleep problems (racing mind and sleep anxiety on many nights for many years) and difficulty gaining weight.  However, I had my thyroid check and the results were normal.

What could be causing this high pulse rate?  And what can I do?

Thanks so much for your help and kind service.

Best,

Uninsured and Scared  
I can't believe nurses said this to you. a heart rate under 95 is generally considered normal and it is not going to 'wear out.'
There are people who have lived decades with heart rates in the 120s-150s (Innapropriate sinus tachycardia)
Hello Justin,

Thanks for the reply.

The nurses said they were concerned because somebody who is 25 years old and working out 6 days a week should have a heart rate significantly lower than mine reads (they said around 60 bpm would "more normal").

Also, they said this could be related to my sleeping problems (anxiety and adrenaline rushes at night which occasionally keep me up for several hours).

I appreciate your reply and any future replies.

Yeah anxiety causes fast heart rates, i get up to 160 resting during high anxiety and my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it
I want you to know you're not in this boat alone.  I am a 29 year old relatively active man.  My pulse has been in the 90s at rest lately and it's scared me to death.  The doctors could not seem to discover why my HR was high.  
I am currently starting on atenolol which is a beta blocker at a very small doseage to see if it lowers me any.  
Like you,  my thyroid tests came back normal.

Do you ever have any shortness of breath or lightheadedness?  Maybe we can help each other solve this by comparing symptoms.

Hit me back if you want.

Thanks for the reply.  I don't seem to have any symptoms unless this is what causes my adrenaline rushes at night.  My doctor said, through email, that he would like to have an EKG done as well as blood work.  I don't have health insurance, so I won't be able to take this route for a while (although I had blood work done roughly half a year ago in a standard physical and everything, including the thyroid, came back normal).  Have you had an EKG done?  Do you have any issues with anxiety?  Are you a type a personality who worries a lot?

Thanks for your feedback!

Definitely have an EKG and blood work done b/c they can help to give you peace of mind.
Try and find out what the costs will be for each (call the doctors' offices) and see also if they will work wiht you on payment options - many times you can pay in installments - all you have to do is call and ask!

To answer  your questions, yes, I have had EKGs performed as well as an echocardiogram, a tilt table test (b/c I was having light-headedness) and much blood work.  All of these tests for me came back in the "normal" range.

I do suffer from anxiety and do worry quite a bit and have stress in my life.  I am currently on two prescriptions for anxiety.  If you are in this boat, talk with your doctor about anxiety and any symptoms that you feel may be caused by your anxiety.  Make a list and bring it with you to the doctor's office.  They'll take you more seriously if you treat it with seriousness (like having a list with you).

The best advice I can give you is to just have the tests performed, see what the doctors say, and just take it from there!  Keep a good attitude and don't let anything get you down.

Hit me up with any other questions if you want!  Good luck.