Heart Disease Community
High Pulse Rate

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

High Pulse Rate

3050812?1213747816
I was wondering if anyone has controlled blood pressure on medications, but wacky pulse rates? I was recently in the hospital for SOB/CP and high pulse rate. I had a Thallium Stress Test, which showed a first degree blockage, and Echocardiogram, which showed a thinning aorta wall and many EKG's showing a rapid pulse rate. They were running 110-145 in the hospital and then I was given Lopressor and it did bring the pulse down to the 80's. But, 1 day out of the hospital, I did a reading at two pharmacies and my pulse rate was 143 and 144. Why is this so stubbornly out of wack?
Were you prescribed Lopressor when you left the hospital? Prescriptions like Lopressor sometimes take time to have their full beneficial affect. You can probably get a more accurate reading of your pulse rate by taking it yourself on your wrist. The "automatic" machines at the pharmacies should not be used if you are looking for an accurate measurement, and with your heart issues, you need accurate information. I recommend contacting your cardiologist and talking to him so he can determine if something in your meds or care needs to be adjusted.
I was prescribed Lopressor in the hospital, yes, to help bring down my pulse and for chest pain. I haven't got a cardiologist out of the hospital yet. I have Medicaid and there are not many Medicaid docs these days, especially where I live. I will go to the health department though.