Heart Disease Expert Forum
High Systolic Pressure, Normal Diastolic

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I've been hypertensive for 24 years (I'm 52) and have been on various medications.
  My pressure has been under control for that time until about 1 year ago.  Now
  my systolic pressure seems to have gone up (from 120-130 to 145-155), but my
  diastolic has remained within the 80 - 90 range.
  My question is:  what can cause a high systolic pressure while the diastolic
  remains stable?

Dear Jill,
New onset kidney disease (blockages in the arteries that supply oxygen for instance),
hormonal imbalances (like hyperthyroidism, for example), and the big unknown.
If you have had stable blood pressure in the 120's and 130's for 24 years and now it is difficult
to control, there needs to be somewhat of an investigation as to the likely cause, which could even be
as simple as the pharmacy has replaced one of your medications with a generic brand that for some reason
does not work for you.  And lastly, the systolic blood pressure rises with age naturally and this in and of itself
may be the reason, which would simply require more meds or higher doses of your current medications.
Regardless, Jill, you need to discusss this with the physician who has been treating your blood pressure, and s/he can refer
you to specialists as needed (there are hypertension specialists at most major univeritsity medical centers.)
Good Luck and write again if you have any further questions.  If you would like to see a hypertension specialist at the Cleveland Clinic,
simply call 1-800-CCF-CARE and ask for an appointment with the hypertension/renal clinic.
Information provided in the heart forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, actual
diagosis and treatment can only be made by your physician(s).