Heart Disease Expert Forum
High blood pressure upon lieing down?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

High blood pressure upon lieing down?

Posted by Trisha on April 25, 1999 at 20:35:44
Dear Doctor,
I have recently posted to this forum.I have since been evaluated by a cardiologist. While at the office my blood pressure was 144/90, the only time I ever had high blood pressure was when I was pregnant with my first child and had Pre-ecclamsia(spelling).Why all of a sudden after months of low blood pressure 100/54 would my blood pressure be so elevated? And also the docs(PA)took my blood pressure while laying down and it was higher then she made me stand and it dropped? What would be the cause of this?
I have to have a stress test due to irregular fast heart rate during exercise......But the higher blood pressure has me stumped....My grandmother had a stroke very young so I watch my blood pressure like a hawk.....I am however only 24 years old and I don't think I have any serious problems with my heart but the cardiologist did mention something about the electrical wiring in my heart??? what the heck does this mean?
I get very sick to my stomach and lightheaded with these episodes of irregular heart rate... And also get chest pain....So I believe I am at the right place as far as a cardiologist goes...
Sorry about the rambling at the end here.....
And thanks so much for the kindness...This Form is a great service and very much appreciated...
Thank you again Trisha

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on April 27, 1999 at 16:10:49
Dear Trisha, thank you for your question.   It's hard to make the diagnosis of high blood pressure based on a solitary blood pressure reading - whether it's done while you're standing, sitting, or lying down.  Thus, you should get a home BP monitor and record your BP multiple times to show your physician.   If your BP is consistently > 140/90, then you should be treated with medications.   I don't know what to say about the irregular heart rate during exercise nor the "electrical wiring in your heart," but I think the results of the stress test should help to sort things out.  
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart
Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.