Heart Disease Expert Forum
High heart rate vs normal blood pressure
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High heart rate vs normal blood pressure

My heart has always beat faster than normal, 90-108, but recently it went up to 139.  My blood pressure was well under control.  When diagnosed with Tachycardia I was prescrbed Atenolol, under medication, my lowest Heart Rate was 86.  My cariologist then gave me Metoprolol, under this medication, my resting heart rate has ranged from 93 - 123,  I've noticed that when my heart rate is at it's lowest, my blood pressure increases (99 heart rate and BP 142/64) and other readings are HR of 101 with B?P of 101/60... I'm very confused as to what should be "normal" for me.  I was taking BP medication for my kidneys (Type 2 Diabetic... under control) not because I had an actual problem with my blood pressure. What type of things should I be trying to control?  What is normal? What should I be asking my Cardiologist?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
242508_tn?1287427246
There is no association btwn heart rate and blood pressure in those ranges.  Of course, blood pressure is heart rate dependent and when the heart rate goes up too much, I would say in the 170 or greater range, the blood pressure may fall.  With respect to blood pressure management I always tell my pts that as long as they aren't feeling  overly tired, lightheaded or are passing out their blood pressure is OK. Anything greater than 90 systolic for a normal person would be considered normal, again, as long as they aren't having any symptoms.  People with DM and HTN sometimes are used to a higher blood pressure and may develop symptoms in a range that is otherwise normal or even high for a normal person.  That usually improves over time as the body autoregulates blood flow to the brain and the other organs.  So, as long as you aren't having any symptoms I would say get your blood pressure as low as possible.  Of course your doctor will have to monitor your kidney function closely making sure that they are getting enough perfusion pressure.  As far as the heart rate goes.  I am not sure why it's high.  You may have some type of tachycardia worth evaluating further.    
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank