High resting heart rate
I have a high resting heart rate of 100-105 most days. Part of this is because I take sudafed daily to relive dongestion due to allergies. I also drink 5-6 cups of coffee a day. My blood pressure when last tested was 116/86 while taking diovan HCTZ. I weigh 205 lbs and I have begun exercise regularly and when I do so my heart rate gets as high as 165.  How big a concern is this fast pulse?  Will continued exrcise help me to lower my heart rate? What else can I do?
Well you are really fighting your heart by drinking so much coffee. I assume you dont like tea? has a much lower caffeine level. I wouldnt be concerned at 165bpm as long as you dont get any discomforts. It will improve with more exercise, but every day not just at weekends or birthdays. When you start to exercise, the heart should react very quickly to the bodys extra needs (within seconds) and when you stop it should get down to 70-80 within a minute to show good fitness. During cardiac rehab mine was bouncing around at 186bpm but with no discomfort. Some cycling athletes get heart rates above 200. The important thing to remember when you begin exercising is to start off slow and gentle and slow down for a while at the end of your routine. Walking is a great exercise, just 30 mins a day will do wonders. Start off very slowly and gradually speed up to a brisk walk. Five mins slow, 20 mins brisk and last 5 mins slow walk back to your front door. In a week you will notice the walk twice as easy. When it does become easy you can extend the distance but it is said 30 mins is adequate.
ed,  Thanks for the advice.  I have been trying to cut back on caffeinated coffee, but I probably should make a greater effort.  I have been on an exercise program for about 6 months now and there have been improvements such as it takes a lot longer for my heart rate to get up to the 150-160 range and that it drops fairly quickly when I go into cool down. Still the resting rate is still high. I am doing cardio work outs at a gym 3-4 time a week.  Perhaps, I should supplement that with some walking too!  Perhaps it will take more time and a higher fitness level before I see improvements in the resting rate.
substitue the caffeine for fresh fruit drinks, you will feel  much better and have deeper relaxing sleep at night.